1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

NYG3 in September?

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by ice-9, Jul 5, 2002.

1. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Sorry guys, I made an error of BLUNDERING proportions. Instead of deleting a post of mine, I accidentally deleted the entire thread!!!! Aaargh! Sorry, sorry. Thankfully, I have it saved. I'll just repost what's been posted thus far in this one message.

---

adamYUKI

Sept. 5th - Sept. 9th. First 2 days tournament and last 2 days gathering style play. We will try for some non-vf activities in between (like BBQ, beach, etc.)

Place will be budgethosteastend.com. I will try to get at least 5 complimentary rooms with 2 double beds in each. Since it is after labor day weekend and the hotel won't be as busy, getting those hotel rooms shouldn't be that hard.

We will play in meeting room with 2 projector set-ups and a couple of TV set-ups. Everyone will bring memory cards with new profiles just for this event.

What do you guys think? If it is to happen, we should start planning now.

Lets start training, mutha fukkuz!

---

In reply to adamyuki, Blonde_one:

OH my God, its Mutha Fuckin Adam Yuki, Me thinks. lol. Well I'm there. Anybody who can make it defintetly should. You guys can count us Fl. guys being there for sure. At least 3 of us anyway =P. later.

---

In reply to adamyuki, hiro:

I guess I can go, but it depends on my teaching schedule... I'm new to the school so I have no idea how undergrad classes are scheduled. (If I know someone, I could ask him to teach but I don't know anyone in the department yet.) Of course, I don't have to make a post to tell you this since I see you in NY anyways, but I wanna get Shota to come. Otherwise, it's not gonna be much fun.

hiro

---

In reply to adamyuki, stompoutloud:

If I am not working, I am in. I am from Florida too.

---

In reply to adamyuki, Jedi_Fei:

Im all over this, Im one of the three guys Blonde mentioned.

---

In reply to adamyuki, Kageh:

Not sure on the exact dates, but e7 is going to be taking place sometime in Sept. It's a bunch of console tourneys that they have in Iowa every 6 months or so in a lot of games. They will most likely have vf4 there (Shota won the last tournament) and I know some peeps are going to bring soul calibur 2 boards for a tourney in that also.

Anyway, I'll be in School again during sept, and it would be easier to drive out to e7 from Champaign for a weekend instead of fly out to NY from Chicago. Sorry if I can't make it. Hope it ends up rocking house though.

---

And finally, my own post in reply to adamyuki...once again, sorry for the blunder folks; ice-9:

Seeing as how I haven't written anything of substance for quite a while, and since I haven't really written anything about my always gracious hosts in NY, I'm going to take the opportunity to create some hype for the planned NYG in September. Plus I'm bored, my extended family vacationing here in Singapore finally left, and my stuff from Duke (along with my computer) won't be arriving until Tuesday.

I didn't get the chance to play all the NY folks to the same depth, so I'll keep my comments to the people I played the most with. The one interesting feature of the NY players is how distinctive their playing style is. I swear, take any of these guys playing, put it on a clip, and I'll be able to tell who's playing at any point.

CrewNYC

First off, Andy! Andy's VF4 Lau is the true successor to his VF3 Pai. They play the same way...aggressive and in your face, but VF4 Lau inflicts damage much more efficiently than did VF3 Pai! I think someone not used to Lau or used to playing at such a pace will be easily destroyed by Andy.

Andy loves rushing in with b,b+P and d/f,d/f+P. He also likes to use K cancel and d+K cancel to confuse opponents. One of his favorite tricks is to K cancel -> throw (something that danny13 also likes to do). Andy is great with approaching opponents with a d+K cancel and forcing the guessing game. In addition to that, the fact that Andy sometimes does the double-low-kicks instead of low kick, heel kick by accident makes his d+K cancelling technique rather unpredictable, heh heh. On paper, you'd think that a Lau that relies on P,P,P,d+K and P,P,P,b+K for a significant chunk of damage would be disadvantaged and even a little scrubby...but it's amazing how much Andy is able to get away with it. Andy's only weakness is that he doesn't watch stance and thus, his Lau is unable to execute maximum damage combos consistently.

Oh yeah, his Wolf sucks!! Outside of Andy's Lau, I thought his Lei Fei was quite good and rather fancy.

hiro

Hiro has a scary Wolf, and if you're not used to playing against Wolf, Hiro will be sure to punish you over and over until you learn. Hiro uses P and LP to control the match, seems to know exactly when to use the HCB+P,P, utilizes Wolf's catch throws very effectively, and is highly adept with his crumble and stagger options/flowcharts. If you cannot deal with Wolf's P+K or b+P, Hiro will kill you with these alone. His Wolf is also the only Wolf that I've played against that uses HCB+P+G, G, d+P+G well.

Hiro also plays Lei Fei and Akira. While Hiro's secondary characters aren't flashy at all, they are effective, but not quite as strong as his Wolf. If I'm not wrong, I think his Wolf is 9 or 10 dan in Osaka, and he plays in the strongest arcade there.

Possibly the strongest player overall in the U.S.

nsxw0016

Nam is a Kage player, and while he doesn't use many moves, Nam utilizes Kage extremely efficiently. Maximum damage combos and the best moves only, Nam's Kage is lean, but mean. Nam controls the pace of the match well, pressurizes the opponent to play his game, and will abuse whatever works until it no longer does. Nam likes Kage's LP, elbow, heelkick, and d/f+P. He loves back dashing and punishing with D/F+P, and his favorite Jumonji string is P+K -> P+K (hold) -> LP if opponent blocks both sabakis. Nam's Kage is the kind of opponent that you either just do well or do badly against, though I think most people here will find the latter. My Jacky and Lau fared badly against his Kage, while my Shun, Jeffry, and Vanessa did well.

piccolo

Sal is ideologically the opposite of Nam. While Nam's Kage is efficient, Sal's Kage is flashy. Sal uses all of Kage's moves and has some of the funniest combos. One thing he taught me: BT P+K,K > P+K. If the opponent doesn't TR, punish with JM f+K. Niiice! Sal's Kage is really fun to watch and looks impressive, but unfortunately I didn't get the chance to play Sal's Kage to find out how well his flashy play would translate in tournament situations.

Sal plays a variety of other characters, and is generally quite good with most of them, but it is his Kage that I seem to remember most...probably because it is quite interesting for me to see two players with characters so diametrically opposed to each other in style from the same area!

adamYUKI

Adam is known as an Akira player in VF3, but everyone knew that he had a tough Jeffry. In VF4, Adam is putting Akira on the backburner and is concentrating first on Jeffry. Adam's VF4 Jeffry is just as tough as his VF3 Jeffry (if not quite as brutal). It's hard to describe his Jeffry but two moves he uses extremely well are b+P and sidekick. The former as a quick, in-range middle attack, and the latter as a long distance interrupting tool. Of course, Adam also uses the LP well. Adam's blocking skill in VF4 is not quite as impenetrable as it was in VF3, but it is still pretty good, and defense is still his forte. His okizeme is strong and he inflicts most of his damage while the opponent struggles to get up.

Adam plays an EXTREMELY scrubby Lau...but guess what, his Lau is possibly the most damning and difficult character I have ever had the privilege of playing against outside Japan!! In fact, his Lau is so..."specific," that I am scared to use my Kage against his Lau. I feel that to beat his Lau, you must play his game, and to beat him at his own game is to change your playing style. I swear, the previous time my Kage had a deathmatch against his Lau, my Kage got worse--better against his Lau, but impaired against everyone else! Adam: who's the Master of the Universe? =)

The interesting thing about Adam is his ability to control the pace of the game to his own liking, which is sloooow. People keep asking me how they would match up against Adam, but to be honest, it's a hard question to answer. The real question is, how well do you play at his pace? You could be really good but have a hard time against Adam, or you can be just so-so and do better. In fact, if I had to select just one person in the U.S. that I think would have the best chance of beating, say Chibita, I would have to say Adam. On the off chance that Chibita doesn't adjust well to Adam's slow pace, Adam has a prayer of winning. Of course, if that doesn't faze Chibita one bit, we can just kiss Adam's basic Jeffry sayonara and substitute myself instead, mwahahahaha!! *Ahem*

Oh yeah, Adam has one big weakness, and he'll probably kill me for spilling, but let's give him some incentive to hit the Training Mode. In two words: chargeable attacks.

Shang

Even though Shang isn't from NYC, Shang was present the two times that I was in New York, so I will also mention a few words about him here. The first thing that jumps to mind is how awfully cool his customized characters are. His 1P and 2P Aois are rather hot!...as far as female gaming characters go, at least. While I think Shang considers himself an Akira player first and a Wolf player second, I liked his Aoi the most. Shang uses Aoi's elbow cancel flowchart very well, has great okizeme if I remember right, and generally is just able to win with Aoi (my impression was that he won more with Aoi than Akira or Wolf).

His Akira and Wolf are of course solid. His Wolf is adept at interrupting opponent's rising kicks with a knee. His Akira knows most of the tricks, but I think he had some trouble executing the ST -> D,f+P -> D,b,f+P, but I don't know any Akira in the U.S. that doesn't.

Omaha Jeffry

Unfortunately, I never really got to play Rodney enough such that I would have a handle on his style of play...the poor guy's always the first to hit the sack on a VF night! I think Rodney was in a state of transition when I visited, experimenting with Akira and Lion outside of his usual Jeffry. I can sympathize with him as there are quite a lot of people playing Jeffry nowadays. His Akira is a little rough but I thought his Lion was moving along extremely well...I think it's just a matter of time before his Lion gets to the same level as his Jeffry. Good thing too, because when I was in New York I was the only other guy playing Lion!

OK, I think I've written enough here. I hope this is enough hype to get people interested in attending the NYG. I doubt I would be able to make the event, but I've really enjoyed all the previous gatherings in NYC. I must applaud all the NYC folks and especially Hiro and Adam for being such wonderful hosts.

Hmmm...all this hype...I must take the time to write something about the Singaporean players here as well. There are some really good players in Singapore, and I think some of these guys will open a lot of eyes in the U.S. As I promised Adam, I have some matches saved up on a memory card, and once I figure how to get it up on the 'Net I'll do so.

2. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Regarding NYG3 being in September--hands downs works the best for me. I'm in summer school until late August and I don't start the Fall session until late September. Though I doubt it was intended, THANKS!

2 days tourney + 2 days gathering = I love the idea! Focusing on a more community bonding and social event following intense tournament schedules is something I'd like to see (and see how it turns out).

Adam, do you guys supply tennis rackets and tennis balls? (hehe I should probably read it on the site, but a public response here would be nice). I've been playing Tennis again lately -- but I suck.

I hope I don't end up being the only person to use "new custom characters" at NYG3 like I was at the Frolic!!!

Like NYG2 and Virtua Tournament, I'm gonna be going to NY in a very humbled position not expecting to do all that well. But as usual, I'll give it my all and work hard at it/versus/images/icons/wink.gif

-Chanchai

3. Shou

Shou Well-Known Member

I will be coming and hopefully the person formerly known as Sumeragi will be there as well. /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

I look forward to playing against everyone again and all new comers.

4. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Oh man, I hope I can swing this...school resumes in August for me. /versus/images/icons/confused.gif

5. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Booyah, looks as though I'm coming.

cheers,

6. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    Sign me up as well. I've missed the last two over silly stuff. Hope to see a lot of new faces. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

7. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

Hmmm September hmmmmmm. Okay i think i might be able to swing september. A chance to fight all of the NYC people nice:) Somone get on the horn and make Jesse from Minnesota come I am so on that guys team:)

8. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    Thanks for the hype Ice-dawg! As always, very nicely written clear analysis of the different peeps' playing styles. Thanks to chibita's clips, your Lion dojo, and Hiro's guidance, i am planning to unleash my Lion at NYG3. So you niggaz besta watch out!!! /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

Chanchai - your Lion was hot. You did very well at The Frolic. I think I may be humbled if I try to pit my Lion against yours, but we'll see. Our styles are completely different, so it will be veeeeery interesting! Look forward to seeing you there my nigga.

Shadowdean, my nizzy!! You besta reppazent MD kid! Hehehe...can't wait to chill wit ya dog. I will keep ya posted on when im planning to come to MD brah. Oh, and thanks fer offering to house my ass! /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Llanfair - can't wait to finally host you in NYC! It took like 3 years to get your ass down here. /versus/images/icons/wink.gif It would be kool if God and other Torontonians can make it.

Florida peeps: Jedi-fei, Blonde One, Iron Monkey Fist, etc. It would be really nice to see the rest of the Florida krew, as Blonde One and Iron Monkey Fist were very strong! Their progress in vf4 is staggering. Iron Monkey's devotion to Akira inpired me to focus on Akira as my main character again. I can't be lazy anymore and should start working harder to bring my Akira up to speed. Sigh, relatively speaking, Jeffry is a breeze to play with and gets me easy wins. So watch out Shou-sama and Iron Monkey - my Akira is gonna try to rape yer tight asses! /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

Shou-sama. I loved our Jeffry vs. Akira deathmatches! Your Akira is quite strong, and I can't wait to unleash my Akira against yours! Thanks for Capcom Generations 5, and make Sumeragi cum!

Lonelyfighter: Get your ass to NYC (along with Jesse) in September! It will be nice to play you peeps for a change (too bad i didn't get to play you in vf3tb).

I started preparations on my end folks! So you peeps start planning as well. 2 months is ample time to get your shit in order in time for this event!

Got to get back to training.....

9. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

GodEater is thinking it might be nice to roadtrip to New York. There are many different variables that stand in the way of such a thing happening but my name could go in as a possible.

'sides, someone has to keep Llanfair in check.

GE
    -eliminate everything that stands in the way of emancipation

10. imf

imf Well-Known Member

I am so looking forward to this gathering! I'm ready for it right now! Although, Andy has warned me that we all will need every bit of the next 2 months to practice for Adam and Hiro are reaching higher levels of asskicking every time they play. That just gets me even more excited.

Thanks for the compliment dawg. I will keep an eye on my tight ass while we play now =P But I have to warn you that we have been practicing mighty hard here in FL, and will look to get our rape on as well /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif I hear Rodney plays a trick tight Akira now, and has become quite the beast with Sarah /versus/images/icons/cool.gif

I am also hopeful to meet and play quite a few more people than last time. Everybody bring your A Game and lets rock this gathering liek whut! /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

I was thinking though, might it be better, if there is going to be a tourney, to have it on the 3rd or 4th day instead of the first or 2nd? You know, let everyone get warmed up first. : )

11. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

I'll try to make it to the gathering. I'm looking forward to playing against you people again, and meeting some of the new VFers.

12. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

>Thanks for Capcom Generations 5, and make Sumeragi cum!

I'm sorry, but...???!

13. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

I'm there. I must start training, I've been very rusty with my main. You may not even see him.

14. anonimuss

anonimuss Member

as long as this isnt an invitation only event and those dates stay static, consider me there. hopefully i wont make myself look too scrubby. journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step tho right...

15. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

Can Smurfy come? I missed the last 2 NYC gathering & I live in NYC & I've been a fan since the first version came out.

16. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

Re: NYG3 Yea baby!

<font color="ccffff"> I will be make every effort to be there on Saturday to provide my usual warm up the players sparring battles! wifey may come as well with her nasty Vanessa. /versus/images/icons/shocked.gif I'm very likely going to arcade this Saturday (7.13.02) for random battles with whomever shows the courage to drop 50 cents in the VF4 machine. /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif So for those of you that need to practice your float combos... /versus/images/icons/grin.gif </font color> <font color="red"> btw- are there any vids of Shang's Aoi in battle, Hiro's Wolf, Andy's Lau, Sal's Kage or Jeff or Adams Lion? /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

17. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Well, you know that I'm down for the cause bro, I will do everything and everything possible to get a MD force up there...we got a whole new bag of tricks dawg!!! In the mean time, get yo ass down here!

18. Dan_NYC

Dan_NYC New Member

Hey adam, I'm down! Let me know when you need a sparring partner or should punching bag /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

19. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

Re: NYG3 Yea baby!

wifey can't make it...(shrug) I will bring some BBQ stuff(superb steak burgers, mmmm) from #1 butcher here in Staten Island and a few extra mem cards. I can only stay for a few hours but look forward with unabated enthusiasm to seeing all my nyCREW players. I just heard that ice-9 did real good in 5 on 5 contest yesterday in Tokyo! Way to go ice!;) /versus/images/icons/grin.gif
    /versus/images/icons/frown.gif Jason Cha can't make it.

20. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    Aight, chek this...

A few people have emailed me about the tentative dates for NYG3. A few people start school and overall many would like to have it held during Labor Day weekend - as they are off from work anyway. However, that weekend is among the busiest at the hotel (so we command rediculously high rates) and that means my pops will hell stab me in the ass if i ask for comp rooms. That is why i wanted to hold it a week after, as the crowds die down, thereby dramatically increasing the chances for comp rooms.

At this time, it looks as though 4 rooms is what i can get. This poses a slight problem as it seems the turnout will be fairly large. I recommend people bring sleeping bags and what not - i have a feeling these rooms will be quite cramped! Of course, if someone craves comfort and privacy, you can book separate rooms through me, and i'll make sure you get a sexy rate. /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif Heheh...i can see it now...peeps having deathmatches, and the winner getting to sleep on the beds! /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

What do you guys think? Should we have tourney first or gathering? Having tourney right away is beneficial as everyone is playing by the seat of their pants - no one really has had time to study another person's playing style. So, the person who has nerves of steel will be the master rapist. The downside is that many people wont be able to make it until at least Friday night - they would only really be able to take part in the gathering portion. Should we move the tourney to last two days to accommodate more people, even though people have gotten used to each others playing styles? It kinda takes away from the excitement/nervousness methinks...even though I perform poorly in such a setting (i get better as i play a person more - don't do as well initially, against players i've never played before).

Will keep you posted.........