1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

NYG3 in September?

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by ice-9, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Akebono

Akebono Well-Known Member

Well, since im the newbie on the scene maybe I should voice, but

I think its better the last two days. Cause then no one has an excuse, I mean, not only would we know each others play styles really well, but we will be so warmed up from two days previous of VF.

Also I say we chug beer for the beds.

2. nxw0016

nxw0016 Well-Known Member

Well, long time no post here:)

Though I am kind of fading out of VF4 lately, I am still interested in joining the gathering in September. However I think I need some serious practice in order to get my game back -- spent most of my summer time at the beautiful Jersey shore:)

Count me in!

Nan

3. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

I don't think that playing a gathering first will really affect how well people do. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

However, the bigger issue will be whether or not people are available to play. Adam, have you made any decisions on how you want to run the tournament? There's a ton of prep involved if it's to run well - so perhaps moving the tourney to Saturday afternoon/evening with continuing into Sunday. I'm game for that. I foresee a typical round robin followed by double elimination, so you could run the RR on the Saturday and the DE on the Sunday.

Personally, I won't arrive until likely Friday afternoon. I would imagine that people coming from out of town are in a similar situation.

cheers,

4. Mike90210

Mike90210 Well-Known Member

I think a good idea for the tournament would be to have the round robin first so everyone would have a chance to play each other at least a few times. Maybe you could make it best 2/3 or 3/5 matches depending on the number of people and setups. The round robin could also be used for seeding in the double elimination tournament. This could prevent some of the top players from having to fight each other in the earlier rounds.

5. Llanfair

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The round robin could also be used for seeding in the double elimination tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that' s the idea behind having the RR first. This has been the standard tournament setup since VF2, pretty much. The two VF4 tournaments that I organized here in Toronto used what we call "Iron Man" round robin. This is where one person sits down and plays everyone. Then the next person sits down and plays everyone, and so forth. This way everyone gets to play everyone twice before the double elimination. Worked really well.

cheers,

6. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

I am a huge fan of the Iron Man RR format -- good from a players stand point and very easy to organize. Argh... spacebar broken -- must beat with fist to get it to work.

kbcat!

7. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

<font color="33ff00">Adam, I'm more than happy to hold a clip board or be the towel boy. /versus/images/icons/wink.gif...lemme know what help you need on Saturday and I will be there for you to make everything go smoothly. wifey suggested I bring a case of bottled water..which I'm happy to do. /versus/images/icons/blush.gif /versus/images/icons/frown.gif I may just make a few mini-vids with Mavica, whatever you decide I'll abide by Yuki-san. Example of my banana fingers... I tried to execute the [P] <font color="red">+ </font color> [K] Mantis flowcharts that </font color> <font color="ff9933">hiro-san </font color> <font color="99ffoo">provided here in Character section under Lion Combo header and I can only do the default </font color> <font color="99ff66">[P]+[K]>[6][6][K][K]follow-up. As an example against Lau in closed stance the down Punch follow-up only hits for me sporadically and the suggested [K][K]ender was not connecting. </font color> this <font color="ffff66"> Banana Fingers</font color> playa plans to attend the NYG3 /versus/images/icons/grin.gif I still practice Kumite as though in human battle and that helps me a great deal as <font color="ff9933">hiro-san </font color> points out <font color="ooffoo"> thinking is a very important part of this game.</font color>

8. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    As you guys know its expensive to run these things, Do you think people will be willing to contribute $35 each to the gathering? We can put this too a day of barbequeing, and to supplies for putting together either a complete VHS tape of tournament matches, or a DVD! /versus/images/icons/smile.gif (If we have the equipment ready of course).

Incase anyone thought we were trying to make a buck...
    Running these gatherings BTW is expensive stuff for us. 80Bux a night per room for four rooms for three nights 80x4x3, $960, you get the pic. Snacks etc for three days, barbeque., NYG3 tapes/DVD etc.

Of ccourse contributions are optional. Hook us up Bitch...j/k /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

CrewNYC

9. Llanfair

I don't see how people should have a problem. If there's room fees to split up and share costs, or even a cost for a copy of a vid, etc...these are understandable /versus/images/icons/smile.gif If we're to have a bbq and snacks provided then, split those costs as well. Shit, $35 US sounds pretty good for room and board essentially.

However, there shouldn't be any costs for *your* time involved organizing /versus/images/icons/smile.gif Our tournaments had one cost - everyone put in $10 CDN so we could have the VF4 machine on free play all day and all night. But my time for organizing was free /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

cheers,

10. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    $35! That's nothing at all! /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

Actually I was going to ask to reserve a room for the CF crew and pay top dollar. $80 for a room. That's still cheap. We'll go over it later. ggpo. /versus/images/icons/cool.gif

11. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

/versus/images/icons/cool.gif Us Fl. guys are down with the $35, very reasonable. Now as far as the video, I want it written and signed that we'll have one released. Who's doing the taping or organizing? Also we may go in together like Shag and his crew for all of us to stay in the same quarters. Just please post and keep us in the loop as far as funds, the more in advance you can get your rates and schedules will allow people time to plan and hopefully attend. Peace out ppl.

12. adamYUKI

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    Cool thats great! I heard Jedi Fei is coming, will be awesome playing with him! /versus/images/icons/smile.gif...The movie is up to a few things. We will definately record the tournament matches on VCR. Now distributing the matches either on Video Tape or DVD is a different story. The cost is about the same so now we have a few things to plan out.

We need to do a poll to see how many people have DVD players and how many have VCR's and what format most people will want it in.

Do people want any extra's? Player interviews, commentary etc. (like the B5, B6 style tapes from shoryuken.com) I dont think we mind putting together the extra time to do this, and if people are willing to put in a few extra bux then it will be a must deliver project.

CrewNYC

13. Akebono

Akebono Well-Known Member

The video is a must. We can send one to Gaijin Punch, Show the Japanese how good us americans are lol.

14. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Hmm, that weekend, or perhaps just push it back a week...but definatly Make it fri-sat for the competitions.
    BTW - it was great seeing you, Sal, and Hiro again, not to mention getting treated like a punching bag for a few hours /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif Big ups to the two other guys who were there...I can't remember your names, but it was great meeting and playing!!

15. Throwmasta

Throwmasta Well-Known Member

NYG3!!! I would love to go, but ya'll hate my MAS joystick /versus/images/icons/frown.gif I didn't get to play all you guys as long as I would've liked. That's what I get for bringin excess baggage /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

16. adamYUKI

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    Here is the TeamNYC logo

[​IMG]

Everyone should have a team logo /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Player profile image

[​IMG]

NYG3 logo

[​IMG]

These are the images were using (except the TeamNYC logo, for the tournament DVD) /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

In addition to the single man tournament, we were thinking of doing a 3on3 what do people think about this?

CrewNYC

17. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Cause and I will get together and get our logo's and team roster ready.

18. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

does that mean, you're going to have regional tournaments? NY vs ............toronto Vs.......... ect. that would be cool. so the 3 vs 3 could be a regional tourney.

19. Shou

Shou Well-Known Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    does that mean, you're going to have regional tournaments? NY vs ............toronto Vs.......... ect. that would be cool. so the 3 vs 3 could be a regional tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would work IF every region had 3+ players. /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

20. MrWhite

MrWhite Well-Known Member

I know for a fact T.O., Montreal, N.Y. have a good ressource of players. Problem remains physical distance and cost for meeting up...