1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

NYG7 "GO THE BALLS OR DO GO AT ALL" Sept. 4-7, NY

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by adamYUKI, May 31, 2008.

1. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    Ok guys, my apologies for the delay in posting this. I've just been...distracted. But, as you've already read and heard, the SoCal 2k8 event was an incredible success. It is torturous that we have such an event only once a year! That said, I want to leverage the all around good will, warm & fuzzy feelings, and memories associated with that event, to announce the <span style='font-size: 14pt'>return of a NAVF tradition:</span>

[​IMG]

<span style='font-size: 26pt'>NYG 7VEN[/size]
    <span style='font-size: 20pt'>"GO THE BALLS OR DO GO AT ALL"</span>
    </span>

In the past, the NYGs have attracted players from around the world. This year, it will be no different. Expect players from all over the US, Canada, and hopefully if all goes according to plan, from Europe and Japan as well!

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Event Date:</span> Thursday, September 4th through Sunday, September 7th, 2008.

If people want to arrive earlier in the week, please let us know ASAP, so we can arrange a place for you guys to crash in NYC, before we "officially" arrive at the hotel (which will be Wednesday night, September 3rd).

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Place:</span> The Budget Host Inn at Riverhead - 30 Lake Avenue, Riverhead, NY 11901. All activities will be held at this venue. Check the hotel out: VF BATTLE ARENA

We have a conference room for practically unlimited VF play, and I have been able to block 10 double rooms at an extremely discounted rate. If more rooms are needed, i don't think it will be a problem in securing them.

We are also free to utilize the BBQ grills in the park/lawn for a cookout! And of course, the kick-ass pool will be available for those that are interested.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Team Battle:</span> Team Battles tournies kick ass. You've read about the mayhem, upsets, and drama from the SoCal event, so it's a no-brainer that we were going to organize one. Nuff' said!

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Team Battle Date, Time, and Location:</span> Friday, September 5th, at 9:00 pm.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Team Battle Rules:</span> 3-player teams. Depending on the number of teams, we'll go right into single elimination, random seeding -or- round-robin pool play to determine the finalists. Match is won by eliminating all players of the opposing team. No character switching. No one can use Dural. You may change the order of your team prior to your next bout. 200pts of health, 45 Seconds per round, best of 5 rounds (win 3 rounds).

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Singles Tournament Date, Time and Location:</span> Saturday, September 6th, 12:00 noon.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Singles Tournament Schedule:</span>
    12:00-1:00 p.m. show up, register, and set-up
    1:00-2:30 p.m. lunch and free play
    2:30 p.m. tournament start

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Singles Tournament Details:</span>
    Tournament entry of $15(?) to be split as prize money -
    1st place = 70%, 2nd place = 20%, 3rd place = 10%
    Pay your $15 when you register between 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Singles Tournament Rules:</span>
    Double Elimination. Random seeding.
    No character switching. You can't use Dural.
    Coin flip to determine who chooses stage or side. 200pts of health, 45 Seconds per round, best of 5 rounds (win 3 rounds). Best of 3 games (win 2 games). Final match is best of 5 games (win 3 games)

KONJOU's AWESOME VF PRIZES

<u><span style='font-size: 14pt'>AIRPORT / TRANSPORTATION INFO</u></span>

Please fly in to the following airports (in order of convenience):

1). Macarthur Airport, Long Island - This airport is closest to the hotel, but flights into Macarthur may be few and far in between, and as such, ticket prices may be more expensive.

2). JFK Airport, Queens N.Y - This airport is about 1 hour by car (and about 2 hours by train) from the hotel.

3). LaGuardia Airport, Queens N.Y - PLEASE, do not fly into this airport, if possible. It is really inconvenient. About 1.5 hours by car (and maybe 3 hours by train) from the hotel.

Please note - that we will only have access to 2 vehicles (3 if we're lucky), and given how far away the hotel is from the airports (JFK and LaGuardia mainly), picking up and dropping people off at the airport will be a nightmare. We will do our best to accommodate you guys as best we can, but we can't guarantee that transportation (to and fro) will be provided. So, please be proactive! If feasible, try to rent a car at the airport and help yourselves. This will help every one out. Coordinating flight times and pooling money to rent a car worked out very well for Flash, Rodney, Monty, and myself for the SoCal event. Super convenient. Do it!

If people can start posting their flight itineraries in this thread, that would be great, as it gives us something to work with when coordinating transportation.

Also, please visit the airport links above for public transportation to the hotel. Also, you can visit this link for travel directions: TRANSIT PLANNER

Basically, the Long Island Railroad is the most inexpensive & convenient way to get around, but please note that weekend service may be limited! Here ya go: Long Island Railroad

Sure, with public transportation, it'll take longer to get to the hotel, but it's quite cheap and comfortable! I really recommend this, as again, i don't know if it will be possible for us to pick up, and drop everyone off.

To reiterate, given our resources, we will try our best to make sure you guys get where you need to be. We'll all figure something out!

Additional travel info in this post

<u><span style='font-size: 14pt'>LODGING & RESTAURANT INFO</u></span>

So, there are 10 rooms reserved under code name ADNAN. The rate is $70 per night, per room(tax included). They all have 2 full-sized beds. Obviously, it would be cheaper if 3 or 4 people share a room, so if you guys go this route, we can get cots (and extra blankets, pillows, etc). However, in the event that cots run out, i recommend people bring whatever they need to make themselves comfortable.

Again, the pool will be open, and if our resident VF cooks are so inclined, we NEED to have a BBQ or cook-out on the grills in the lawn. Aww Jeah!

There are numerous restaurants (and fast-food establishments) within walking distance of the hotel, and the prices in the area are very reasonable.

konjou sez:

You and only YOU are responsible for your belongings.[/size]
    The hotel will not be responsible for anything lost. Let's all respect each other and other peoples property. Stealing and disrespecting will not be tolerated as we have no room for delinquencies.

I also would greatly appreciate it if everyone would respect the hotel grounds, rooms, etc.[/size] This IS Adam's fathers hotel and sanctuary! He has been providing the VF community with a consistent place to hold events for over 10 years. Any harm done to the grounds and rooms will be perceived as complete disrespect to Adam and the kindness that his father provides to our childish cause.

<span style='font-size: 20pt'><u>ACHTUNG!!!</u>[/size]</span>

If possible, please bring Xboxes, VF5 discs, and sticks!!![/size] I know it's a lot to carry, but it would really help. Given the amount of people that showing up, i fear there may be a shortage of systems.

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>VERY IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ:[/size]</span>

If you notice that you are the last person leaving the conference room, please make sure to go over to the Front Desk of the hotel and ask them to lock up the room. Conversely, if you come to play in the morning and notice that the room is locked, go over to the Front Desk and ask them to open up the room.[/size]

There will be a lot of equipment in there (TVs, projectors, Xboxes, etc.) and we all need to be proactive, sensible, and careful about making sure shit does not get taken (by random hotel guests, etc.)!

Let's work with the Front Desk to ensure things go smoothly.

<u><span style='font-size: 14pt'>DENKAI CHALLENGE & RIVALRY MATCHES</u></span>

You've already read about the Denkai Challenge, so TRAIN hard,and bring your A-game, because here's your chance to have your airfare reimbursed! *see details in Switchnationer's post*

Also, there will be a few rivalry matches between a few of the premier NAVF players. Expect tension, drama, shit-talking, and high-level VF play. I personally can't wait for this!

<u><span style='font-size: 14pt'>LIVE BROADCAST</u></span>

Of course, ALL OF THIS VF MAYHEM WILL BE BROADCAST LIVE for the world to see!

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>ARE YOU OKAY!!?!?

GO FOR BROKE!![/size]
    </span>

Please start saving the dates! The level of VF play will be incredible, and you will definitely level up![/size]

This just in! A stunning announcement from an eloquent guest!

Listen HERE!

<u><span style='font-size: 14pt'>CONFIRMED PLAYERS</u></span>
    Konjou Akira
    adamYUKI
    Shagnificent
    ExtremistCidKid
    Black Bauer CTU
    vfhayato
    KungFuSmurf
    Oioron
    DarkGift
    ShinobiFist
    Sudden_Death (?)
    SDS_Overfiend1
    BadSeed
    KoD
    GodEater
    Cozby401
    KrsJin
    Ladon
    TonyFamilia
    Air Jacky
    Shadowdean
    TheWorstPlayer
    Bizazedo
    Lucky_GT
    AkiraZero
    HackerMike
    Chief Flash
    Yummy Dango
    Terry Bogus
    Chefboy
    Spanky
    Daniel
    Slide
    auvii
    kryptonix
    vf5395
    cruz
    Foolan
    Johoseph
    cinnamonmon
    gl0ry
    ? Yosuke ?
    your name here

2. Oioron

Oioron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

I'm in. I hope some of the NYCVFers who have taken a sabbatical show up for this event.

3. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

Ohshi~Ohshi!

This event is so crazy, that Monty is using fancy words like "sabbatical!!!"

I'll reserve flight stuff soon.

4. Oioron

Haha. Anything to galvanize the scene. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

5. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Man this sounds awesome. I love that it's in the hotel. So easy!
    I'll post up as soon as I know we can go. We are so broke right now - it's horrible (so if you have some obscenely wealthy friend wanting to give away, say, $75,000, be sure to PM me with the good news).

6. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

I'm going to earn money this time~~ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

7. _Denkai_

_Denkai_ Well-Known Member

No character switching?? this isn't Japan bro

8. Oioron

I'm not sure if that rule is in Japan. I think they just use their main characters because it gave them the biggest chance to win. Unfortunately, here in the US most of us aren't good enough to make it a disadvantage for anyone to use anyone but their main.

It irks me when people change characters in the middle of a tournament, because I still feel that it's a disadvantage. However, in the end it really is up to me to capitalize against someones secondary/tertiary...

We should have a vote. Unfortunately, with that suggestion I believe most will both no character switching.

9. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

10. Chief_Flash

Chief_Flash Well-Known Member

XBL:
    T1L ALL AR3 0N3
    you know im there. imma bring the crew with me! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

11. Dennis0201

hey guys~
    how about that random characters match?? I thought last time it was really fun~~ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

12. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

I'm totally down for another quick, random character tourney.

On the Team Battle, I'd almost like the idea of having two separate tournies. Have one just like the last SoCal one with captains and what not. Then have one of teams people have chosen to make. I know the latter is tough cause it may leave some feeling left out, but do think it'd be a lot of fun too. Just throwing it out there, either way, I'ma be pleased as punch.

13. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

I wanna propose an idea for a quick tourney, tell me what you guys think:

A main character and sub-character battle.
    Players must claim two characters and stay with those two for the remainder of the tourney.
    Once two players engage they can choose whichever of the two characters they have claimed in whichever order they like.
    Once either the main or sub character loses, that character is then eliminated and the player has only the remaining sub/main to play.
    Once both main and sub character have lost, that player is then eliminated.
    Player wins when he has eliminated both of his opponents characters. The winner moves on.
    Single elimanation.

There'll prob be a mini mind game at the character select screen where you can leave your main for last or switch up at the last moment and have your main go first.

Anyway, that's my little idea. Just something to consider /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

14. Dennis0201

Good idea Tony!!

15. Spanky

Spanky Well-Known Member

Sounds good, I'm planning to attend-- my only question would be if location-based seeding would help avoid people playing their friends first round.

16. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

Dang yeah, that idea sounds really fun T-Fam. Totally down for that idea.

17. TheWorstPlayer

TheWorstPlayer Well-Known Member

I'm there. Seriously. Maybe not for long but I'm there! I kid, I kid. TheWorstPlayer will try not to have his usual worst attention
    span/random fit of time to go.

18. AkiraZero

AkiraZero Well-Known Member

Try to stay more than 1 hour this time

19. TheWorstPlayer

TheWorstPlayer Well-Known Member

I'll work on it /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

20. Air Jacky

Air Jacky Well-Known Member

this sounds like blast i will be planning on attending this NY meeting. it will be fun to see the some people from the VF3 tb days and all the new comers to the VF sence. but i really looking forward to seeing Adam and Rodney again it has almost been 10 years since i last saw you guys. got alot of catching up and and remembering the old days. cant wait