1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

NYG7 "GO THE BALLS OR DO GO AT ALL" Sept. 4-7, NY

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by adamYUKI, May 31, 2008.

1. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

Re: NYG7 "GO THE BALLS OR DO GO AT ALL" Sept. 4-7,

Cause people who suck or lose alot quit.I ain't quitting no fighter period. Its not consuming if you doing it on spare time.
    Shit try creating characters in Mugen if you want time consuming.I had to quit that.

2. seven5suited

seven5suited Well-Known Member

Slide has a point in that it is a huge time and energy commitment if you do it as often as most of us do. I love VF, but I could have cured cancer by now with the time I have put into this game!

I have taken this step back that he mentions, and have seen it for what it truly is, at various times. Aside from the enjoyment, it's completely wasted time, and we are adults playing video games. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I realize it's simply a hobby than makes me happy and is relatively inexpensive. My other hobby is my motorcycle and that dwarfs the cost of arcade sticks, and makes me equally out-of-shape...

Slide, I would say if you truly see the futility, then sure, you are obviously right to stop. However, maybe you can just cut down on the time spent and lower your competitive expectations of yourself. You don't have to win tournaments or rank up to Barbarian to have fun. If you stop completely, we all lose one of our favorite opponents. Plus you'll have all of that info taking up space in your head doing absolutely nothing. You can't get rid of it. Trust me.

3. smb

smb Well-Known Member

Thomas Jefferson did this as a political ploy, and it helped him get elected president...well played

4. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

It's not about winning or losing bro. I could be in Adam's position right now and I would still find it difficult to juggle VF and other things with higher priority. If it was all about winning I would dedicate a hell of a lot more time to VF.
    For me it's just fun but it is also addictive. Obviously not everybody feels this addiction but just bc it's addictive and it does me more harm than good doesn't mean I don't enjoy it.

Hey mods, can this discussion please be moved to a separate thread?
    Title of thread could be: Are video games bad for you?
    Instead of putting Slide's or anybody else's name in the title of the thread (like what happened to Fishie).

5. SDS_Overfiend1

IYHO! I don't Spend enough time on this game cause i can't taking care of my Daughter and all priorities but..... For the time i do get to play i still give people fits and loses.Its fun and im not quitting cause i haven't let it become priority one to have to quit.I have bussiness to attend to first. Every person has a hobby and playing games (Not just VF5) is one of them.Trust me on a nice day i rather flirt with women and play a good game of basketball rather than worry about frames and hit checks along with all of the technical bullshit that comes with VF5. Most of you just started playing Vf in its 5 installment so you have to cram catching up. I been playing this since day one and it still the same thing with a few new techniques added in every installment.On top of that i missed out on EVO but was able to catch up because i listened and took notes.

Losers Quit, Legends walk away on Top.

6. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak

Made a quick attempt at this, problem is a lot of people replied to Slide's post with shoutouts & etc, so there's not a single sub-thread that makes sense to move; posts would have to be individually moved back and forth.

Tony I'd say go ahead and start a topic on this in community general or whatever.

7. smb

smb Well-Known Member

"Losers Quit, Legends walk away on Top. "

The funny thing is how wrong this statement is. Yes, losers quit. But very few legends ever walk away on top, and most that do then make a comeback that proves to be a bad decision and then they limp away with the proverbial "legacy damaged" question hanging over thier heads.

This wasn't a crack @ overfiend, just a sporting observation combined with tedius boredom at work.

8. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

The whole issue is that video games are addictive and they take up free time that could be used for other hobbies and things that you enjoy just as much. At the sametime, they're becoming less enjoyable than they used to be when I was younger. They also tend to get in the way of small negligible things and small errands that would be convenient to have finished or completed.

Reasons and reasons, basically with me coming to the conclusion that I should just straight up quit or play very very rarely, so I can put other hobbies I enjoy to the front. Now with playing fighters competitively, the upkeep is just too extreme and time consuming and committed, and that's just something I don't feel like doing anymore.

Other than that, SDS and anyone else that wants to make assumptions that are off-base, do whatever it is you need to just to look e-cool.

That's a pretty good view point. I don't understand the part that you said about the info taking up space in my head though.

9. seven5suited

I just meant all that knowledge of VF going to waste, but never leaving your head. It's not like you could wipe it to put something useful there. It was the lighter side of my post...

I'd be sad to see you go (not boo-hoo sad, but it'd be a loss to XBL VF), but do what you gotta do for your life. VF 12 will be there when you're in the nursing home!

10. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

That is a scary thought.

KoD, thanks for trying though. I would follow your suggestion but I've already started enough threads lol.

I'm more neutral on this whole debate bc if you can do it as a hobby without really missing out on more important things in your life, then by all means, keep playing
    -but-
    if you end up missing out on way better things and too many things that would benefit you more in the long run AND videogames has an addictive hold on you (it has more control of you than you over it) then it might be best to quit.

I'm still here and I won't leave for a while but I will eventually put videogames down for good and take up something that benefits me (or others, like loved ones, etc.) more.

11. ShinobiFist

ShinobiFist Well-Known Member

I'll start it /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

12. Stl_Tim

Stl_Tim Well-Known Member

Videogamming is a drug and the younger you start the more damage you can do, word!

[​IMG]

13. Auvii

Auvii Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Auvii

annnnnnd FAIL

14. SDS_Overfiend1

My bad i was comparing me to Floyd Mayweather again sorry.

15. Auvii

Auvii Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Auvii

"Heroes get remembered but legends never die"

- Babe Ruth
    Sandlot

16. seven5suited

Lemmy uses all characters equally.