1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Odd Sarah combo stuff (some actually useful)

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Nutlog, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

Regardless of stance up to Akira's weight (though it gets touchy with him): Highest damage followup to FL f+K+G is d/f+K,K,b+K for being generic, open stance is d/f+K,K,f+K. The open stance will guarantee d/f+K,K,K on everyone.

Highest damage combo so far with no walls:
    Lightweights only, closed stance: f+K(MC), K,P, P,P(whiff),P,b+K = 96 damage

Stand alone kickflip damage in a float is capped at 24, regardless of whether it comes before the 3rd juggle hit.

Odd moves comboed so far (obviously using a wall) on all characters up to Akira: mule kick(TT d/f+K), tornado kick(u/f+K+G), little knee-big knee (f+K,d/f+K). One to go on my list...tornado crash.

2. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Cheers Nutlog. This is why I love this board. I would have never considered the Illusion variants after the Heal Sword Slash. I'd always go with the d+P+K,K or b+K, FL: u+K.

In version C, if the FL: df+K causes a stagger, are the FL throws gauranteed?

3. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Yeah Nutlog, thanks for pointing out these combos. I hadn't thought of using the illusion kicks here... ;>
    After the [FL]f+K+G I've primarily used either db+K or d+P+K,K.

Hmm... the illusion kicks might then also combo after the ub+K+G then too... heh-heh... =)

I'll note the KP, PPPKickflip combo on the Sarah combo table whenever I get around to finishing it over at virtuaproject... /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif Thanks again! =)

Weird about the kickflip damage being capped in floats, but it's understandable with regards to game balance... I wonder if other attacks (erm Akira's double palm *fizzick*) are affected similarly. If anyone else finds an attack that has its damage altered in some way for floats, please comment about it. Need to confirm that the same is true for Jacky's, Kage's, and the Chan's kickflips...

Odd moves comboed so far (obviously using a wall) on all characters up to Akira: mule kick(TT d/f+K), tornado kick(u/f+K+G), little knee-big knee (f+K,d/f+K).

You got the tornado kick to hit an already floating character? Weirdness... that's a very slow *high* attack. What about using Sarah's charge attack after bouncing someone off the wall? /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

4. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

You got the tornado kick to hit an already floating character? Weirdness... that's a very slow *high* attack. What about using Sarah's charge attack after bouncing someone off the wall?

No way could it work, that would be FV territory. The Crash Tornado only hits mid at full charge, other wise high. There's no way your opponent will wait for Sarah to juggle them with a fully charged move, even Aoi.

It would be the dogs bollocks though if it was possible...

On another note, to me, the FL: f+K+G is just a variant of ub+K+G so I'm sure what works for the later should work for the former. It's just that I can't get access to VF4 right now so it's up to you (or anyone else for that matter) to confirm if the Illusion Kicks are possible after the Spin Heel Sword.

5. Genie47

Genie47 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

In version C, if the FL: df+K causes a stagger, are the FL throws gauranteed?

<hr></blockquote>

Doesn't seem to be the case. Can't get the FL throws to connect. They are catch throws and Sarah's u/f+P+G fails to connect staggered opponents. But all of her catch throws connect on wall staggered opponents.

So I would follow the training's advice. After the FL-sidekick, d+K > P+G.

6. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

So, unless your opponent is near a wall Hit throws are in and Catch throws are out. But can't you buffer the throw from the Side kick or does Sarah's leg magically pass through her opponent?

7. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

magically passes through, I was fooling with this today.

One thing I think I've confirmed (?) ... the fl d+K hit throw is now one (maybe 2) frame timing. And the timing is to hit the buttons the exact instant the attack connects. This is where hit flashes help, at least psychologically.

I can't land it more than 50% of the time, and I'm finding the fl. K+G hit throw quite tricky too.

8. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

That's lame, I was looking forward to that... The damage from a successful Hit-throw is about the same as Kick Tornado (40/60pts). And it's by no means an easy move as you must know the buffer trick to execute them regularly so the skill factor should be rewarded.

9. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Well, it's not that lame. I find myself swearing at how cheap the hit throws are when CPU sarah uses them on me. "ARE THEY NUTS! A 30% LOW KICK!!@!@!@" ....ehehehe. But yeah, the timing is awfully strict. It should be easier at least for the more useless K+G hit throw.

10. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

It's not that the K+G hit throw is useless, after all it's stronger than the other one at 60pts rivaling her 270+P+G but rather near impossible without serious dedication. BTW is the said hit frow possible instead of the Low Kick variant and does the regular FL: P+G throw connect too?

11. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

The K+G hit throw IS easier. Unlike most other hit throws, you can input the f+P+G throw on reaction when the K+G connects, and not from memorization. The K+G -> f+P+G is probably the most consistent hit throw for me...well, that and Vanessa's kick -> choke.

12. ReCharredSigh

ReCharredSigh Well-Known Member

yeah, i found the fact that the sarah's FL kickflip does at min 24 pts in a combo to be something, but it does make sense;
    otherwise, DC, chop-kick, FL kickflip would do 70 pts, but it instead does close to 80. so i guess in sarah's combos where you finish with a FL kickflip, it's best to go for quantity over quality, cause in the end the last hit will always do a huge amount of damage.

speaking of weird sarah combos, would this wall combo be possible?

DC, elbow-overhead kick, wall hit, chop-kick, FL kickflip?

someone with a PS2 try this out! supposedly it looks flashy
    (i hope they didn't take out the f+P,b+K, did they?)

13. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Elbow-Spin Edge Kick (f+P-b+K) is no longer possible in VF4.

14. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

No, it doesn't do a minimum of 24, it's a MAXIMUM of 24 damage in a juggle. It sucks ass too...it'd be fine if it were set at 24 always, but once you get past the first two juggle hits, it'll drop even further, like 19 for the 4th juggle hit. (And it's a bitch to get it that late in a combo...even for walls)

15. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Think about it, if she didn't have a cap she'd be as bad as Lau. the caps keep users on the offensive and encourage them to try other avenues like her ground game and the flamingo. floats are the prime if not sole focus of Lau so he needs all the damage he can muster.

16. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

Bah...so neither Jacky or Kage need the cap, but Sarah does? Lord, Jacky's has the same execution times and damage as Sarah's and the cap really only affects the first 2 juggle hits any way. So it's ok for jacky's knee - P(G) - kickflip to do upwards of 83 damage with a MC, while Sarah's does 77? And neither of the Bryant's independent kickflips have retained the wonderous floor scraping properties that Kage's still appears to have (the canned one still does pretty well, though).

I dunno if it's because Sarah is viewed as a much more float-centric character than Jacky, but to throw on some cap like seems odd to me...

17. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

I see your point with Jacky but Kage's game is centred around TFT to a point. VF4 has given Sarah more scope than just a floater, besides, she's faster than Jacky and is far more dynamic in an offensive manner. To me, that evens up the odds.

18. Genie47

Genie47 Well-Known Member

I've been trying this out on the PS2s FREE TRAINING. There is some weirdness in the whole combo shebang.

For example, with u+K,G > P,G > b+K,u+K. The whole combo sucks at 51 pts of damage. I used wolf as the punching bag. Replace the u+K at the end with d+K+G, it reduces to 50 pts.

I would say the timing to hit them with the FL kickflip must be buffered in. The P,G must be entered the moment Sarah finishes the FSD not any sooner or you will get a dumjb struck Sarah standing there without the punch to keep them airborne. The kickflip hits them OTB. But since it a straightline attack, a TR and it will miss.

The standard f+P,K > b+K > d+K+G is very stable. Training mode recommended ending with f+K+G. Anyone doing a TR will escape this one but not the sweep. Doing a QR and the sweep misses. I have experimented and used a u+K (FL kickflip) as an ender and it works all the way up to Jeffry. Hits them OTB. But ilke the f+K+G ender, a TR will completely escape it but QR will not.

Still on the topic of b+K (insert ender) combos is that it is rather stable on MC or mC. I have done u+K+G or f+K+G > b+K > u+K or d+K+G up to Jeffry. Well provide TR and QR are not on the opponent's list.

19. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Jacky's kickflip takes much longer to recover when it hits... he loses all sorts of initiative when he uses a kickflip in a float. Sarah loses initiative when she ends a float with a kickflip, but it isn't as bad. That might be the reason... <grumble> This really sux for Sarah players... /versus/images/icons/mad.gif

20. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

The standard f+P,K > b+K > d+K+G is very stable.

Ah, flamingo sweep something I never seem to use... /versus/images/icons/blush.gif Gonna have to change that... thanks Genie! =)

Training mode recommended ending with f+K+G. Anyone doing a TR will escape this one but not the sweep. Doing a QR and the sweep misses. I have experimented and used a u+K (FL kickflip) as an ender and it works all the way up to Jeffry. Hits them OTB. But ilke the f+K+G ender, a TR will completely escape it but QR will not.

OK, to clarify, the [FL]f+K+G and [FL]u+K will both connect against a QR opponent?
    ...and use the [FL]d+K+G against an opponent who chooses to TR.
    Just thought of something silly~~ how about the flamingo dodge attacks vs. a tech roller? /versus/images/icons/crazy.gif

Now for the big question: /versus/images/icons/wink.gif
    A quick rising opponent is basically a standing non-defender. How about buffering in the kick tornado throw after the b+K? I have a feeling the timing is off and it won't connect, but I haven't been able to test it fully myself.