1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Ohsu vs Homestay VF5FS and VF2 Exhibitions

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Aug 31, 2017.

By Myke on Aug 31, 2017 at 4:12 AM
  1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Recently streamed on the GODSGARDEN niconico channel, legendary VF players Ohsu Akira (now plays El Blaze) and Homestay Akira took part in some highly entertaining exhibition matches on console versions of VF5FS and VF2! Both players are mic'd up with the more vocal of the two being Ohsu Akira, and even if you can't understand Japanese you can certainly feel, and be entertained by, his struggle against the might of Homestay's Akira!

ohsu-and-homestay-exhibition.jpg

The action starts with VF5FS, then VF2 from the 56:00 mark.

Also, how to deal with gimmicks... like a boss! :ROTFL:

The Senbon!
    When the VF2 action started, I was pleasantly(!) surprised to see the senbon, aka the 1000 punch, used in their first match! If you jump to 1:01:40 after Jeffry misses a big down attack, Akira wakes up and depletes his near-full life bar with nothing but repeated standing punches. How was this possible? In version 2.0, the time to recover from the fastest [P][K][G]-cancel was near instant and, importantly, recovered significantly faster than the opponent's hit stun. What this meant was that while the opponent was still in hit stun (and unable to guard), another standing P was guaranteed! Rinse and repeat, and you'd get a true "infinite combo". Thankfully, this bug was later removed in the 2.1 update, and you'll see Ohsu and Homestay quickly switch over to 2.1 by the second game. ;)

Option Select Madness
    Option Select was rife in VF2, and at high level competitive play it kind of "reduced" the gameplay. If you jump to 1:13:43 you'll see a very fast sequence of high punch followed by low punch. To the uninformed, this might just appear as spamming [P] > [2][P] on repeat, but what's actually happening is that Akira is repeating the following inputs:
    • [G][4][P][G][2][P]; or
    • [G][4][P][K][G][2][P]
    Visually, it's just a sequence of high punch > low punch, but these inputs also happen to be Akira's high and low attack reversal commands, so if the opponent tries to gain some advantage with, say, a safe high or low punch, then they're likely to get reversed. And that's exactly what happens here.

You get the same with attack or throw Option Selects. For example, Sarah's Clothesline throw input was [6][6][P], and if the throw was unsuccessful you wouldn't get a throw miss animation (they didn't exist in VF2), but instead you'd get her Elbow [6][P] because it shared an input. So if you were standing there guarding, you'd get thrown, but if you were crouching then Elbow would stagger you, allowing her to follow-up the elbow with the canned Knee attack ([6][P][K]). Quite powerful, eh?

Option Select, particularly the throw/attack OS, was removed in VF3 and beyond due to the normalisation of throw inputs. That is, all standing throws now being a type of [P][+][G] input, and a failed throw produced a throw miss animation.

VF2 Stuff Worth Checking Out
    I highly recommend you watch all the VF2 footage. Ohsu Akira channels his inner BunBunMaru while playing Wolf to produce some really entertaining gameplay. But some particular stuff that you might like to check out are at the following timestamps:
    • [1:02:14] Look at how fast the back dash was in VF2!
    • [1:21:46] Oshu's Wolf goes on a bit of a streak!
    • [1:44:18] After many attempts, Homestay finally nails the classic Reverse Body Check (RBC) combo: [4][3][P][+][K] > [6_][P][K][G] > [3][3][6][P] for massive life drainage.
    • [1:49:53] Homestay messing with the CPU here finally lands the Kage TFT combo: [4][P] > dash in > [1][P][K][G] > [1][P][K][G] > [1][P][P][P][K] for huge damage and great ring carry.

Feel free to post a reply if you saw anything else in there that you thought was particular interesting, amusing or would like to ask about!

Video link tip: @jimi Claymore

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    nou, Rare_Entity, Dennis0201 and 6 others like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Jason Elbow
      Jason Elbow
      I wonder what made Ohsu switch to El Blaze?
    2. Stl_Tim
      Stl_Tim
      That ohsu god's pose is priceless!
      DK likes this.
    3. Myke
      Myke
      I just edited the main post to add a couple of interesting trivia and notes from the VF2 footage:
      • Option Select Madness
      • Other stuff worth checking out
    4. 40i4
      40i4
      Rocket discharge is too weak and it's a shit.
      I can't imagine RD as el blaze tools Oo
    5. nou
      nou
      Way late on this...but aren't the pictures backwards?
    6. Myke
      Myke
      No.
    7. Jason Elbow
      Jason Elbow
      Its best to use it on meaty wake up. Or on hit into RD. But even then its a guess....
      Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    8. 40i4
      40i4
      Second that meaty wake up, but since Blaze. has broken and weak ground attacks (slow and punishable + even tending to miss the opponent, like 3+P+K) the whole opponents strategy could be stop-tech-rolling and Blaze cries like a baby.
    9. Jason Elbow
      Jason Elbow
      Its still a guess. And although 3 p+k down attack can miss, i still use it cuz the opponent can only back roll out of it kinda like Wolf's except not as good.