1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

OK. Stay calm. Breathe.

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Pinkgirl, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Pinkgirl

Pinkgirl Well-Known Member

Watched the movies with Shinz vs various other opponents.

1) How does he do the crouch-dash-guard thing (the one where his Akira looks like he's having a fit while c-dashing backwards)? What are the exact commands/timing for doing such a thing?

2) Can normal humans do it?

3) Can humans with retarded motor coordination & reflexes (e.g. me) do it?

2. Tetra

Tetra Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

2) Can normal humans do it?

<hr></blockquote>
    Need alottttttttttttttttttttttt of hardwork and practice. u might not be as fast as him though

3) Can humans with retarded motor coordination & reflexes (e.g. me) do it?

<hr></blockquote>
    don't think so /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

3. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Crouch Dash Cancelling

If you do a search on "shinz step" in All Forums, Newer than 3 months you'll find some threads talking about the crouch dash cancelling. The <a target="_blank" href=http://virtuafighter.com/versuscity/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=media&Number=28121&page=&view=&sb=&o=>revised vf4 stepping</a> thread, originally posted by chingdude, is quite informative. Originally posted in late February, and had nothing to do with ShinZ, FWIW.

Here are some facts about Crouch Dashing (CD) which make this kind of stepping possible:

<ul type="square">[*]You can G-cancel a CD at any point. That is, db,db,G will stop the CD as soon as you tap G. So, tap G early for a really quick, twitch-like cancel.
    [*]You can CD from a crouching position. That is, DB, db or DB, D, DB will register as a crouch dash. A simple exercise: hold DB, then repeat (D, DB) in a steady rhythm (just roll the motions, don't return to neutral). It results in repeated CDing with effectively one DB input. Note that this is not CD cancelling, just repeated/buffered CDing. See footnote <font color=orange>1</font color=orange> for extra information.
    [/list]

So, putting the above points together:

db, DB-G-DB, DB

This is a basic, one-step cancel. The first db, DB will initiate the backward CD, but while you're still holding the DB, you tap and release G - this cancels the CD - and then (still holding DB), you enter another db. In total, you only entered three db inputs. What you see is a CD G-cancelled into another CD. Here, the G is splitting the one DB command into two, as explained by CreeD in the "revised vf4 stepping" thread.

To keep it going, simply split the last DB input with a G-cancel:

db, DB-G-DB, DB-G-DB, DB-G-DB, ...

While the above input may look messy, the following explanation might make things a little easier.

Start a Crouch Dash and then:

1. Hold the last motion (db, DB)
    2. Tap and release G with last motion still held (db, DB-G-DB)
    3. Enter and hold the last motion again (db, DB-G-DB, DB)
    4. Repeat from step 2.

Free Training in the PS2 version with Slow Motion turned on can help practice and get used to the technique. In the above example I used the backward CD for demonstration purposes, but it works with forward CDs as well.

________
    <font color=orange>1.</font color=orange> Just an extra note on CDing from crouch. It's possible to buffer a DF or DB during the recovery of an attack, and then simply hit df or db the frame you recover to execute a CD. Akira's ST - SgPm - DbPm combo can be done by holding DF (or DB) during the canned SgPm, then quickly entering df, (or db) b,f+P for a DbPm. The same technique can be applied to Akira's SDE - DbPm combos as well.

4. danny13

danny13 Well-Known Member

I will master it before you. hehehe.

5. Tetra

Tetra Well-Known Member

i am gonna press 10000 CD a day after i finish my attachment !!!

6. Shundi_05

Shundi_05 Well-Known Member

Hm.....

Number of times you press CD is not that important. Important thing is whether you can understand the theory behind it. I can press 10 times the amount you press but still learn nothing at the end of the day. /versus/images/icons/frown.gif /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

/versus/images/icons/smile.gif /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif /versus/images/icons/smile.gif "Look at my picture before my mule kick hit you in your face!" /versus/images/icons/smile.gif /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

7. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

/versus/images/icons/smile.gif just mucking around here /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

8. Shundi_05

Hm.....

I sure lost one. Cos my CD sucks. /versus/images/icons/frown.gif /versus/images/icons/frown.gif /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

/versus/images/icons/smile.gif /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif /versus/images/icons/smile.gif "Look at my picture before my mule kick hit you in your face!" /versus/images/icons/smile.gif /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

9. Tetra

Tetra Well-Known Member

I am voting myself ^_^

10. Shundi_05

Hm.....

R u sure cos I thought Danny is the fastest CDer here. /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif Anyway where got people vote for themselves one. (Kan na SHIT!)

11. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Won't lose for sure lah...not so jia lat one.
    I voted for u~
    SO....Stand pushing em d/b d/b d/f d/f!

12. Morpheus

Morpheus Well-Known Member

Aiya u know lar those ke na SHIT 1 always like that 1 what. Always talk SHIT mer! =)

13. Shundi_05

Hm.....

That's a good 1! /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

14. Guest

Guest Guest

What's so great about a Crouch Dash?

15. danny13

danny13 Well-Known Member

Its nothing great if its just the normal one. It is GREAT if you can crouch dash back faster than you dash back by using (g) to cancel the crouch dash. So db,db,(g),db,(g),db,(g)....shinz's step.

16. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Various reasons why Crouch Dashes are great (and I assume there are more than what's listed here):
    - Near-Instant Crouching (to avoid high throws and high attacks)
    - Modified Moves (performing "from crouch" moves as if they were from standing). This virtually expands your arsenal as well as enabling various combos too.
    - Cancellability (CDs can be cancelled by so many things--almost everything--which makes them even more worthwhile as a movement option)

Generally the three things I listed above can be subcategorized into lots of different applications.

-Chanchai

17. Pinkgirl

Saw u try it that day when u last played with Andrew... hehehehe... not bad............... but your finger dexterity is really good - I don't know of anyone else who can dodge and buffer in Kage's knee! /versus/images/icons/crazy.gif

18. Pinkgirl

19. Pinkgirl

Actually I don't really get Myke's explanation (about the sequencing of the CDs - which CDs belong to the "first group", which to the "second", etc) but who cares? As long as I know what commands to input...

Of course, that doesn't mean I'll be able to do it... ever. LOL /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

20. Pinkgirl

Its nothing great if its just the normal one.

<hr></blockquote>Not true... cf chanchai's reply...

Anyway I'm getting pretty frustrated 'cos I'm missing things like CD, f, P (e.g. Pai's d, f+P), and CD, f, K (e.g. Kage's d, f+K)... and I don't feel like playing anymore...

But looking on the bright side of things, I'm so glad they made CD easier to do in VF4!!! I totally couldn't CD in VF3!!!! Lame hands huh?!?! /versus/images/icons/mad.gif