1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Okay wtf is Handcuff Lightning?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by NeverEnd, Apr 16, 2002.

1. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Um no, all the books just went through every single move frame by frame to find out execution, blocked, hit, and major counter frame data by trial and error. Arcadia and Softbank never approached Sega for any information whatsoever. Pfft.

2. Marginal

Marginal Well-Known Member

That doesn't really answer my question. I doubt anyone here knows if they did or not. I'm guessing not since the listed quote is so screamingly wrong. /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

3. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Aha!
    I got the official mook released by Sega! /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

4. Marginal

I'll bake up my copy then. A cake that looks just like the VF4 box!

Then I'd like to nominate Sega as the single largest gaming company to generate the single stupidest win quote ever.

5. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

gah, I guess sarcasm's a pretty deep concept for you, eh!
    ^^^^^ (sarcastic) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes they got their information from Sega.

6. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

it wouldn't sound so dumb if you can imagine a guy with a cocky, ali-style, 'black' voice saying "I've done handcuffed lightnin!" (with done being used the way ali meant it),,,but hearing that irritating, never-hit-puberty, accountant-style, enthusiastic little kid voice saying it.... bleah.

7. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

All the taunts are pretty awful, but the English ones take the cake. Akira's "I want to fight someone stronger!" is pretty lame.

Now, I'm sure some asian is going to slam the meaning of "kung-fu" on me for this next one, but one of LeiFei's is: "That's very good kung-fu, but it appears that I'm the stronger" -- what the hell is that?

Also, I've said this before, but never got any replies - isn't Lion & Jacky the same voice...errr... actor?

8. Marginal

Coming from Jacky who comes with about as many ties to Ali as I do, it sounds retarded. IMO, there's no way anyone from AM2 could justify it without sounding like Kamhou_X in the process.

If you listen closely though, you can hear the quote I've provided. Kinda strange. It makes more sense and actually fits Jacky, but... Feh.

9. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Actually...it's such a minor matter anyway

Who the hell speaks Japanese like the characters in movies/anime/games?

I sure don't.

10. Marginal

Ii vibration da!

Works in all occaisions.

11. YuniYoshi

YuniYoshi Well-Known Member

I don't think Lion is saying "It's a matter of course, I'm gonna win!"

I think he is saying "What's the matter? Ofcourse I'm gonna win!" But since the voice acter is stupid it ran together to sound like something only a crackhead would say.

12. s_jamessmith

s_jamessmith Member

face it, jacky is just a little buggy anyway, if you want players that look and sound cool, get one fo the ones who speak japanese, becuase at least this way, if they say someithng dumb, we dont know what it means.

13. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

. . . .
    just trust sega, he's saying "it's a matter of course". It's one of those weird english phrases that nobody ever says anymore, but still pops up in odd places like japanese video games.

14. Marginal

Lion's using it in the wrong place in the sentence which makes it really hit the ear badly on top of that.

15. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't see why it's so difficult to believe that Japanese video game companies can make grammatical mistakes in English. (Or any company writing copy in a non-native language, for that matter.)

You guys remember the "All Your Base" cult phenomenon that made its rounds this time last year, no? /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

16. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Lion's using it in the wrong place in the sentence which makes it really hit the ear badly on top of that

I think it sounds wrong to most ears because the phrase sounds like it should be something like:
    "It's (only a)matter(of time), of course , I'm gonna win. But the "of course" isn't the usual pair of words you stick close to commas in sentences like "he wouldn't give me his real name of course, but I could still tell it was someone famous."

... this is one complete phrase that used to be common, "a matter of course". From which we get the shortened "of course". I can't find the origin of the term, but it's been around a while, you can spot it in Hound of the Baskervilles.

Ok, I'm done playing Chanchai =)

17. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

SOMEBODY SET UP US THE BOMB!!!1!

But seriously,

Matter of course = A natural or logical outcome (noun)

Perhaps "I'll win this battle as a matter of course" would sound a little better?

Pulled up some quotes from Bookshelf:
    - "Every age... accepts certain sufferings as a matter of course..."
    - "Nowadays love is a matter of chance... divorce is a matter of course"
    - "It is simply absurd that, with our modern science, painless childbirth does not exist as a matter of course"

18. Mirkan

Mirkan Well-Known Member

It bothers me somewhat that all quotes have gotten this treatment. It's as if they reason like;
    "Ah heck, we got away with all your base, a winner is you, try to next chance, etc, they don't seem to actually care anymore!"

Well I do, and pretty much all of the VF4 quotes annoy me. Not because they're 'engrish' or cheesy, that's just a part of VF, but because they've been executed with such ignorance...

When Vanessa says "If that's all you got then get out of my sight" it comes out "If that's all you got then... Get out of my sight". Frankly, it takes that little to make her sound plain stupid. There are, of course, other examples, and it just makes me mad. I happened to like the past win phrases alot, they were excellent quotes, but in VF4, they've all gotten so offensive, and with the said execution, the lot sounds like a beefed up thug version of Sammo Hung-english.

The worst thing abt this though is that when you play the CPU and it gives you shit like psychic crouching and other super-human crap, and wins, you're treated with this stupid agressive, offensive poop talk with totally screwed pronounciation and grammar. Somehow, coping with that is the biggest challenge in the single player game...

19. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

Well, at least it's better than Jeff's two-word VF2 vocabulary.
    "IIIIIIIII WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN"
    And his losing quote was even more painful. Aieee.

20. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

bleh. i'll take jeff's "i win" (especially the vf3 version) over all of vf4's crap. worst taunts in the series.