1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Oki and long range

Discussion in 'Brad' started by Blahzie, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Blahzie

Blahzie Well-Known Member

I dunno, man, but I'm having a hard time with guys I know I can beat. Specifically Lei Feis and Wolfs that like to back off and then run in with some sort of throw/mid mixup. I'm particularly annoyed by Wolfs who like to spam grizzly. So much range and so much damage... I don't have this problem as much with Jeff because he's got range. Only range Brad seems to have (to me) is off long ducking, which you can see coming a mile away.

Then I got to thinking that he's pretty good inside, which is partly why everyone runs away from him, but seems to fall victim a range against everybody except Brad. Any tips from he good players on how to beat range and ranged oki before I give up on him?

Thanks in advance.

2. Vortigar

Vortigar Well-Known Member

First off:
    If your opponent allows you to get into long ducking he's well and duly cooked between (LD)/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, (LD)/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif and (0f)throw.

Brad's main long range tools:
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif - insane reach, goes to slipping/ducking
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif - the first is a short knee but the second is a kick that looks suspiciously like his /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, can be used to bait the opponent into trying to punish the first knee, leading them to eat the kick.
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif - excellent move, learn to crouch dash into this thing, it can improve your game immensely. Leaves you backturned but is still perfectly safe if you've got some distance, it pushes back a bit. Brad's also got some powerful options from backturned in case it hits or the opponent hesitates.

Back turned:
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif - probably his most useful BT move, same as his /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif only with more range on the first punch, both parts can go into slipping/ducking, the first strike is half circular, this move travels very far to close in with the enemy and punish them for backdashing away.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif - high elbow, causes headcrumple but leaves you backturned so the usual combo's aren't an option, I haven't used it very much so can't say what's what with this one. Usable if the opponent ran into the turnaround kick and is thus close.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif - turnaround mid kick with decent range.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif - low, full circular kick, causes knockdown on any hit, punishable as all hell (-22 or something...), mainly to be used if the opponent consistently dodges your other BT moves.

Other:
    You can use 'empty' stance switching at range to bait your opponent into action. Stuff like /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif->/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif//forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif(sway right)/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif can lead the opponent to fail a dodge or eating a counter hit.

Against Lei Fei:
    I've had a some success with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif and /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif. Lei has a hard time avoiding/sabaki-ing low kicks and can't block from stance so will get caught with these on counter hit more often than most. And, as always: don't get predictable. When he's got momentum against you you're in big trouble as Brad's defensive tools are pretty meagre (to none), weather the storm and look for a good moment to dodge.

3. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Lol grizzly. Options:
    dash -> evade to his front -> whatever you like
    block grizzly, its like minus a million if its blocked..
    dash and jump over it... hehe

Anyway good idea is to practise your movement, its important in VF5.

Even if opponent can see long ducking coming, that doesnt mean you are doing something predictable.. Like G-cancel it into a throw or do some other attack that interrupts opponent if they try to do something. Make opponent think they know whats coming and then do something different.

4. Blahzie

Blahzie Well-Known Member

Thanks for the stuff there; I should definitely be using /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif a lot more ... what do you recommend for applying pressure to a downed opponent?

5. Vortigar

Vortigar Well-Known Member

Hhhmmm, not an Oki master myself, so this was as good an occassion as any to figure some stuff out. Been messing around with it for a while though, need to try it on some broader living opposition (next weekend).

A good tactic is to go into stances to chase your falling opponent and aim to use the following (note: you've got to be fast, if he's already on the ground you're too late to go into stance):

Long Ducking /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif - Double rising kick bait, long ducking and second knee delay, leads to combo and another down situation. The first knee in particular seems to have a lot of hitframes to catch rising kicks with.

Phasing Turn /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif and Phasing Turn /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif - Very effective mixup against tech rollers. The low punch/shovel in particular seems to have a good amount of hitframes to make it easy on the timing. Make sure you use the second's stagger for a slipping /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif combo.

Ducking /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif - General use, make sure you're a bit away from the opponent so the kick doesn't hit too deep as it is punishable on block.

Itoshun holds clinics on this kind of stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmzKRhOssqI&feature=related
    1:12 ducking /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif
    1:15 long ducking /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif
    1:40 slipping left /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif (haven't had success with this myself)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCqV6G8G1y0&feature=related
    1:38 phasing turn /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52l4_VepbM4&feature=related
    0:44 phasing turn /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif