1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

One happy rumour

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Akora, Sep 7, 2001.

1. Akora

Akora Active Member

Actually just delivering an excerpt from the msg board in the Korean gaming web site called www.ruliweb.com.
    The poster of this also seems to have quoted the contents below from some other US gaming web site.
    Then just focus on the 7th news at the bottom.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I got 3 new mags today. Next Gen. Game informer. CvG. All 3 had great ps2 news. First next gen...
    1. Ps2's devolopers love the way they set up online plus sony is making great strides with sega this way. they have many more devolopers making online games than xbox well have or gamecube.
    2. Everquest is coming to ps2
    3. Syphon filter 4 coming to ps2 with massive online cababilities, Soccom engine well be used somewhat. infact soccoms online engine well be coded over. But the game well play feel and look much diffrent and better.
    4. Sony and square are as a tight group as ever square doesn't see them going to xbox or cube any time soon.
    5. Sony ps2 has close to 500 games in devolopment by 3rd first and 2nd party togather in america alone.
    6. Crazy taxi next, Tojam and earl, House of the dead 3 on ps2.
    7. VF4 is rumored to look actually a little better on ps2.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this is just no longer a rumour really, YEAH !!!!!!!!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Akora on 09/07/01 08:38 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if point 7 is true. Yu Suzuki has been quoted several times that the PS2 conversion will not be lacking graphically. So it's really down to how many options they can cram in. With the VF team on the conversion instead of Genki who messed up the tb port. I believe they will better their work on the Saturn VF2 conversion. Looking at GLC's VF4 Faq, I noticed the Noami 2 boards stats. The PS2 has a faster clock speed, 294 to 200 on the Noami 2. Also, the PS2 can deliver twice as many polygons on screen with all options on at 20 million per sec, compared to the 10 million that the dual Power VR2 chips in the Noami 2. So, On a technical level, I'm not worried.

Adio.

3. nascarbryant

nascarbryant Well-Known Member

The games mags names are wrong....
    'PS2 RumorInformer'
    'Next PS2 Generation Hyper'
    'Computer and PS2 friendly gamefacts Magazine'

ahh yes I forgot ..........all bullshit!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S ohhh it reminds me the old PS1 times, when will this **** stopp!!!!!!!

4. Guest

Guest Guest

You're ignoring PS2's VERY limited amount of texture memory. The textures in VF4 arcade are super hires and require a lot of texture RAM. To make VF4 possible on PS2, texture quality will have to be compromized, so don't expect a miracle.

Personally I'm waiting for the Xbox version. While not yet announced, it's inevitable.

5. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Yep. You got me there. Sony were foolish to ignore the textures. Take Doa2 for example. The DC version is so much more colourful and fibrant compared to the PS2....*sigh*. Still, the textures aside, there shouldn't be any real differences in the PS2 conversion. I still stand by my point that the conversion could look better with the higher polygon power that the PS2 has but I guess it will be rather drab compared to the Arcade.

Adio.

6. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Well-Known Member

I'm sure all those, sigh, "rumors," are pretty much true. Other than the notion of Square staying put (there's still too much bad blood with Nintendo, but Microsoft may sway them to support with at least a few ports), it's all pretty much common sense and company PR. I'm sure Sony's online network will be at least as good as SegaNet, and it would be scandalous not to include their hugely successful online game. Geeks and obsessive losers have money, too, ya know.

And I know it's old hat, but most of the big-name games (especially Sega's titles) will likely end up on all three consoles sooner or later. It all comes down to who gets the first-year exclusives.

And, oh yeah, if VF4 on PS2 actually looks better than the arcade version, I'll eat my hat.

-----
    "One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How the elephant got in my pajamas, I don't know."
    -- Groucho Marx

7. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Well with the texture issue I don't think the PS2 conversion will look better in the way of colour but, the polygon rate will be higher or at least have the potential to be so. This should take the form in smoother, more detailed character models etc. Going back to Doa 2 as my example, the PS2 character models, jaggies aside are distinctly more detailed than their DC cousins though paler. AM2 are intelligent, I'm sure they'll find a way to get the best out of the PS2. Whether it's through some sort of compression technique or having a seperate option for those gamers who have the hard drive which, would solve the problem. Besides, PS2 isn't black and white, it can do purple and green or even orange. And if colour is the only thing fans have to loose out on than thats fine with me.

Adio.

8. Drunken_Master

Drunken_Master Well-Known Member

er... can the ps2 really do 20 million ploygons a second? is that with lighting effects and all that sort of stuff?

'Hah whats next attack of the drunken cats' Wong Fei Hong from Drunken Master

9. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Well according to the info at PS2-IGN (ps2.ign.com). It can do 75 polygons flat out without any extras like texture mapping etc. And 20 polygons with all the options on. Anyway, it can do more than 10 million polygons that the Noami 2 can push.

Adio.