1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

One move at a time: Fighting Styles

Discussion in 'Aoi' started by kno1really, Jul 17, 2010.

1. kno1really

kno1really Member

<span style="font-size: 11pt">I like combo's but</span>...its so plain to just master a combo i KNOW is going to do what damage and what follow up combo to do next...etc...
    I cant put it into words but i like crippling the opponent slowly (one reason i picked Aoi[/size]).
    I like a long relaxing match, not "combo 1 + combo 2 + combo 3 = victory" because it doesnt feel like a real fight anymore, It feels like Rock Paper Scissors in a way you know?
    Ive watched videos where you have the guy flying in the air (while still hitting him) "juggling" him until he hits a wall or a ring out and i just dont like that.
    Am i alone in thinking this way?

2. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

Well i got news for you brother in VF. You want to Get max damage at every possibility for every combo. To hell with a slow match.

3. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay

It's meant to feel like Rock Paper Scissors. Or rather, playing it multiple times simulatiously. Whether you win or lose is usually down to if you can get the upper hand, making the right choices and reading your opponent correctly. To me, that is like a real fight and is the beauty of VF.

4. Sharp7

Sharp7 Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Sharp J7
    I generally agree to the OP.
    Although, I also agree with marlyjay, real fighting is all about predicting making the right choices and getting the upper hand and VF gives that. VF especially reminds me of brazilian jujitsu, all about knowing what position your in and acting accordingly, and manipulating the opponent with mixups. Frames=position in jujitsu, its so damn similar lol. Except of course, the moveset takes years to learn in BJJ and ppl are still making new ones and modifications.

Its just, combos are freaking annoying to memorize, the real fun and mindgames of the game are about GETTING the launcher, not the SET ALWAYS THE SAME combos u do after...

5. Jigohro

Jigohro Well-Known Member

In a "real fight" (in a competitive sporting environment at least) it's feasible that one good attack would end the fight - ippon throw, submission, K.O. punch to the chin... one moment and you're going home!

3 chances per round for a reset and comeback with juggles? Luxury, lol [​IMG]

6. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    You're right. It sounds a lot more like UFC than a real fight [​IMG]

7. Mlai

Mlai Well-Known Member

Actually VF is the least combo/juggle-happy of recent fighting games. Max damage juggles in VF5 are 5 hits tops, not counting if the opponent doesn't tech roll when he/she has the chance.

Compared to the insane amount of hits in combos in Tekken or god forbid those crazy games like Guilty Gear or Melty Blood etc.

SSF4 is the only "tame" recent fighting game I can think of atm, and many ppl feel it's too "slow" because of that. Screw them they can go play their epilepsy-inducing MvC4.

8. jinxhand

jinxhand Well-Known Member

Have you seen any combos in VF5R or even VF5FS??? There are a bunch of longer combos in VF5 ver C also. Jeffry and Pai have some rebounce combos, too.

Compare SC's combos to VF' combos (not counting Algol and Hilde). VF's has more hits in combos than VF...

9. kno1really

kno1really Member

In Aikido (derivitive of Aiki-jujutsu) its always about one good strike...well, joint-lock or pin, so maybe that where i get my style from; one fell swoop.
    In Virtua fighter, all of these "sets" of combo's seem to be the "safest" way to win... and that philosophy seems to be all the rage. I wish i could put this feeling into words but its difficult...
    its like, does everyone have to be a "virtua fighter" to be succesful? does everyone have to have these moves that kind of..."beat the system" so to speak. eh... i cant verbalize it but i wish there was a more "real" way to fight. not to discredit all of the Strategies everyone has written about online... maybe im still just too new.

10. Mlai

Mlai Well-Known Member

Well, I only have the PS3 VF5. I don't think my version has bounce combos.

I wish those new bounce moves don't exist, actually. They remind me of Tekken too much.

@ kno1:

If you want 1-hits, play Bushido Blade 1 & 2 heh. Or Samurai Shodown 2.

11. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

What? Version B has some sick bounces.

12. Hazzerone

Hazzerone Well-Known Member

So to clarify, OP doesn't like round-ending juggles that lead to ring out or wall carry but he would love some single round-ending moves? And with that said, what happened to "crippling your opponent slowly"? ...

... Right. Back to the VF5R live stream.

13. Mlai

Mlai Well-Known Member

PS3 VF5 is version B? I never saw any rebounce combos? No moves rebounce for Lau/Pai/Goh/Vanessa that I know of.

14. Jigohro

Jigohro Well-Known Member

<object width="560" height="340"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f3D0YT-Vi0Q"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f3D0YT-Vi0Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="560" height="340"> </embed></object>

I heard this new youtube site has some nice movies, you could try it! [​IMG]

15. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    In Wing Chun (and a lot of other fighting styles), It's about hitting the opponent lots of times whilst making them unable to hit you at all. Kind of like a combo. We have [P][P][P] as well [​IMG]

No way is more real or valid than another. As with VF though, in a real fight you'd best believe that your opponent is gonna try land as many hits as possible before you're able to defend yourself.

16. Mlai

Mlai Well-Known Member

Oh shoot, Goh's ff P+K is rebounce?! Gotta practice that...

Not as silly as Tekken's though, whew.

17. kno1really

kno1really Member

I know...
    I just wondered if anyone else felt overwhelmed by the pace...i think thats the real problem. lol

18. kno1really

kno1really Member

Nobody's saying that. i mean there isnt any other fighting strategy besides..."virtua fighting"...
    kind of makes me feel overwhelmed i guess...

19. social_ruin

social_ruin Well-Known Member

I know what ya mean here buddy. Sometimes this is a turn off for me as well. BUt i will say as you learn the game better you begin to understand the relationships between defending vs these huge combo openers, and you learn how the play against throws and sweeps. And then the idea behind when and where to poke starts to clarify. After that it becomes a focus and defending and limiting options. It all begins to make more sense. Then you play someone like gentleman thief 2 years later, and just want to pull your hair out [​IMG]

20. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    Combos are there so you can hurt someone really bad for reading them correctly. Why the hell would I want to outguess someone a million times? There's too many variables especially in vf. 3-4 combos/throws are a perfect setting for each round.