1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

One move at a time: Fighting Styles

Discussion in 'Aoi' started by kno1really, Jul 17, 2010.

1. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

So what you Aoi to Snap a single Bone to end the match rather than having to do combo's to win?

There's a Video game out call UFC Undisputed 2010... I think thats what you maybe looking for.

Is it really that simple to do combos? yes but try setting them up on advanced opponents.

2. JackyB

JackyB Well-Known Member

Virtua Fighter is the best fighter out in terms of techs and options, all the options and tech might it tuff on rookies, just keep playing.

By the way, how are you training and who (Cpu, online, vs) are you playing against? Sounds like your get overwhelmed by your opponents O, with your Aoi. Aoi isn't the easiest character to start with, you might try an easier character and come back to her after you feel better with the games system.

Anyone have a suggestion on a character that would teach him the system and be easier to start with?
    My suggestions would be, Jacky, Pai, Lau, and maybe Lei Fei. They are easier to mount a O, just play them till you get more comfortable and then go back to Aoi.

3. kno1really

kno1really Member

Lol, im sorry...is that a question?
    No, i dont want a one-hitter quiter.
    but dude, if your gonna be all condesending to a simple query on aoi then leave me alone.
    Im new and i had questions. Stop talking down at me.
    ...in any case you did help me kind of put into words what ive been trying to say: everything is combo's. wish we had more intricicity. the same way we have more than one fighting "Style" (aikijujutsu, lucha libre etc.) we should also have more fighting "approaches" to winning.
    Even though you were trying to be funny, what if there WAS an x-factor like a broken leg or a "stamina" thing. its not gonna happen, But a gamer can dream cant she?

4. kno1really

kno1really Member

um, lots of Akira players. King of Carnage...Aposolos i think his name was but he's a Lei-Fei guy. Everyone i fight moves so quickly... im definitly at an expierience and know-how disadvantage in 8 out of 10 matches. And what i try to make up for in training is not accounting for my lack of strategy.
    I do a command time attack every start-up, conjure up a few combo's here and there (theyre not perfect but they do help with memorizing her move list)...
    Lastly, my thing with Aoi is the Aikijujutsu thing. LOL I also practice Aikijujutsu (Aikido to be exact) so its a big Smiley face to play with Aoi!

5. SDS_Overfiend1

You can wish but what you get is what your playing at the moment.
    Unless you keep forgetting your playing a video game thats all fantasy. If the case we should raise questions about why a knife kills you quicker than a bullet in COD lol!! Sarcasm can be lost in forums but understand we all here to help. I can give you drills to run in dojo to help get your speed up and a better understanding for the game. Play quest mode on normal and learn your arsenal. Go to dojo and set the CPU to P after every guarded attack. Check Aoi's moveset to see which moves are safe (check to see if you can evade after having them guarded.)

Example to get you to speed up faster do this light drill.

P>up evade>P>down evade ETC. Mix in other safe moves with evades.

6. Mlai

Mlai Well-Known Member

Overfiend was serious when he recommended UFC Undisputed 2010. If you want "realistic fighting" as a change of pace, then the UFC games are the closest thing to it when it comes to video games. You get 1-hit knockouts and 1-grapple tap-outs in that game.

However, UFC is all about no-frills gritty MMA with large sweaty men in a ring. You seem to want the cute slender girl practicing pure Aikido, and being able to test her skills against other exotic-looking fighters practicing pure disciplines.

When you want that, right there you're already looking for "fantasy/movie fighting". So in fantasy fighting, you have to live with combos.

Also, if you want counters-heavy gameplay, you can play the Dead Or Alive series. There's no Aikido fighter in that game, though.

7. SDS_Overfiend1

QFT!!!

8. JackyB

JackyB Well-Known Member

UFC is fairly fake as well, 20 knees to the face from the clinch and no KO or even Blood? Crazy.

Hope EA's game stays truer and doesn't get scared to have KO's from one punch, like what happened to Yuke's game.

9. kno1really

kno1really Member

sigh...
    i suppose anything i have to say is not going to be heard...let alone listened to as intended; you overstand me.
    I gracefully resign from this conversation. and respectfully appreciate all of your insight.
    See ya online.

10. JackyB

JackyB Well-Known Member

11. SDS_Overfiend1

Whateva... Get the fuck outta here. You can't be serious.

People are listening to you but you come in here kicking some bullshit about how VF should be another game when this shit is already its 10 iteration. If you can't catch on Stay in your lane and go play something else thats suits your need to break a limb and end a fight.

Matter of Fact lets take it back.

YES You are Alone!!!! Cause if we did feel like this then we would'nt be playing VF.

Somebody Close this shit Now.

12. kno1really

kno1really Member

I forgive you for your ignorance...

13. SDS_Overfiend1

Forgive Yourself.. Your the Ignorant one. Rookie.

14. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    Kno1really, I think this is the game you're looking for.

15. Hazzerone

Hazzerone Well-Known Member

This game is deep, I mean check out the fuzzy guard at 0:56!

I'm loving how there's no music aswell.

16. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk

@kno1really excuse some of the people on this board. They have bad manners and they [ass]ume things they shouldn't. I can't believe some of the remarks they're making to a new comer.

kno1really, there are lots of ways to play virtua fighter. If
    you prefer the one or two move at a time approach, and you can find a way to be successful with it, or if you are satisfied losing with it, then by all means use it. There is no one right way to play any fighting game. Some strategies are generally more successful than others, but there are always exceptions. If you've got extremely strong defense, and very good timing and spacing, good mixups, and yomi you can win with one-two type attacks. Don't let these guys tell you you can't.

If you don't want to join the combo club[/size], you don't have to. Or maybe the combo club[/size] will make more sense to you after you've learned a little bit more about VF. There are also sequences that you can create , although they tend not to be as
    effective as combos, with a solid defense, and good sense of spacing and timing, they can get you a long way.

The bottom line is, get in matches, play Vs, play online, play against the CPU and see what works for you. You determine how you play this game. That said, if your one-two hit approach, causes you to lose most of the time, then you should take that under consideration. Or if you're only able to beat the CPU with your approach and can't beat anyone that really plays VF, then you should take that into consideration. But if you really aesthetically dislike the whole combo thing, you really don't have to use it. You can win without it, but you're going to have be very good at several other areas.

@myVFBrothers/Sisters, yall, should chill, not be so hostile all of the time. Its no wonder we only have 15 people in the VF community. So many times a new person comes in, the first thing yall do is bash them to death with your own self righteous, pre-conceived, close minded habits. If the the brother/sister wants to try one-two move fighting style, then let them learn from experience what they're up against. Combos
    are important in VF. But it can be played successfully without them. Just because you personally can't win without combos, doesn't mean that kno1really doesn't have a way or won't find a way to win without them.

@kno1really there are many offensive and defensive techniques, and strategies in VF. If you are going to shelve combos, then you should shoot for mastery in the other techniques and strategies available in VF.

Enjoy the game, its awesome [​IMG] Ignore some of the rude comments you've read. A lot of the VF community is wound tight right now, waiting for the next release of console VF, so they might not be thinking clearly [​IMG]

In terms of games or sports, its not whether you win or lose, it is all about how you play the game. Play it on your own terms and bring your own style to the competition, that's what makes things interesting. Welcome.
    [/size]

17. Mlai

Mlai Well-Known Member

Hey I was being nice. I like Dead Or Alive games. Personally I like the counters-heavy playstyle. Also the game has flash and personality, and all the fighters (and their moves) are well designed.

But if kno1 really wants to play a chara who relies on few hits, should play Akira. Very different from Aikido, though.

18. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Nah, Akira is pretty combo heavy. Aoi was proably the right choice.

kno1really don't be put off, I know there's a few people here that have similar opinions regarding combo's.

19. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    a.) Most combostarters are punishable on block or have other weakness (for instance, hit high so they can be ducked). You dont get combos 'free' against good opponents.

b.) Avoiding getting hit by combostarters is important, and big part of the game.

c.) If you think combos are somehow 'easy' way to win, you need to play against some good players. You will want to capitalize on every opportunity you get because you arent going to get many.

d.) Not all things you see are real combos. some can be escaped therefore they are not combos. For instance hitting opponent on the ground usually, stagger followups, ground throws, etc.

20. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Po, sometimes you write some good stuff, but i don't always have the time. Could a brother get a summary? [​IMG]