1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Online VF dreams crushed, thanks to VF producer; says 1Up.com

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Mr_Frankie, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    akai said:

Just got the EGM magazine that the 1up.com was mentioning about....thanks for working on the interview Zero-chan and Fishie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for reading /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I should note that what's published in EGM is only a small portion of the whole interview text - we asked him a lot of stuff about the development of VF in general, as well as other stuff he's worked on and his thoughts on gaming. The complete interview should be going up on 1up.com later on this month. It's a very fun read. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    ice-9 said:

I agree with the sentiment, but in the long run $$$ > sentiment. I bet VF5 will go online at the mid-point or near the end-point of its console lifecycle.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol you mean like vf2 PC

3. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Did you buy a copy?

4. PhoenixDth

lol no, for the exact same reasons they wont make vf5 online
    i rather buy the ps2 remake if they released a US copy

5. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Well, a lot of us did get a copy.

6. PhoenixDth

im not sure about "buy" cough cough
    and do you still play online. . .

7. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    Re: Online VF dreams crushed, thanks to VF producer; says 1Up.com *DELETED*

Post deleted by Unicorn

8. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Unicorn said:

[ QUOTE ]
    GLC said:
    Online fighters aren't the same games as played 1:1 on the same machine.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Then tell my why they ever create VF.net?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhm, vf.net does not allow you to play online...

9. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    GLC said:

[ QUOTE ]
    Unicorn said:

[ QUOTE ]
    GLC said:
    Online fighters aren't the same games as played 1:1 on the same machine.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Then tell my why they ever create VF.net?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhm, vf.net does not allow you to play online...

[/ QUOTE ]noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! /versus/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

10. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

I would if VF4 was online... =)

11. emperorofuall

emperorofuall Active Member

Unsure about if i'd want VF online only b-cause of lag- with it being a more technical fighter and all.
    I've been through 3D fighting lag hell, and it was called DoA /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

12. Vith_Dos

Vith_Dos Well-Known Member

I am still boggled this conversation continues. IF there was a VF online feature tons of people would play it and it would be fun. Even if there was some lag. Since we know there isnt for VF5 why even discuss the fact that you wouldnt play it if there was o_O /versus/images/graemlins/deadpan.gif

13. PhoenixDth

because people insist the game is teh suck without online play, hence the stupid thread.

14. HervE

HervE Active Member

This game still needs limited only capacity. How about things like patches or if two people with Live accounts are playing on the same system, have a record kept of it to track win loss.

15. happy_GOH_lucky

happy_GOH_lucky Active Member

"Sad day for us Virtua Freaks that's for sure "..damn straight!!!!!!! what the hell is Sega thinking not making this online play? seriously, i am the only person in my location who plays virtua fighter. everyone else play their tekken5 and socal3. Virtua fighter is just "garbage" where i live. I'm affraid to say so, but its true, people in America hate virtua fighter. but i really love virtua fighter. but im not good at the game, and it is sure damn boring to play against the AI, always crouching when i play against. based on my tekken and SoCal experiences (two games taht i am really good at), i know for damn sure that a person can only get better in a fighter game is playing against a human opponent, i dont care what anyone else says otherwise. Hopefully, it comes out on x-box 360, maybe then, online capability can be done. Sega is an idiot for not making this online.

16. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver Well-Known Member

They certainly aren't idiots, but perhaps you are, to think AM2 would jeopardize the integrity of their flagship series.

They've repeatedly reaffirmed the notion that VF and other (online-enabled) fighting games are entirely different products. Their interest isn't to compete with the latest online-enabled DoA, for example, but instead, to make VF the best it can be, for what it is supposed to be: meaning, a precise, competitive fighting game. VF interations have a very long life, comparably (~3-5 years), and it's for a very good reason.

Any outside, unpredictable variables (the most obvious of which being lag, but really, it extends to the non-standard nature of home console setups - different tv's, controls and so on) are not welcome in such a game. In fact, I'm sure the balancing process involves eliminating such variables, not introducing them. As such, online VF would be something else, apart from VF: something uncharacteristic.

But really, it's all in the article, if you read carefully.

The bottom line is, if no one around you plays, tough. You could try introducing the game, explaining it, stirring things up, trying to get better, like many people who post here have, and to good results, in my opinion. It's a much better course of action than complaining all day. A full Final Tuned version B setup, good cabinet included, would cost around U$1000. That's not a whole lot of money, especially when you pool together some people to help with the expenses.

AM2 develops VF for a very specific market: the Japanese arcade market, which is immensely different from the lazy, self-centered and fickle western console market. VF is an arcade competitive fighting game. It's unfortunate that Sega's American arcade division gave up on it long ago.

I guess that if you want to say you're a "virtua freak", you should be doing more than just sit around demanding things.

17. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

happy goh lucky fuck them up in tk5 and sc3 and make them quit maybe then theyll play vf

18. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

It's almost like he's living in a time vacuum stuck 5 years ago.

19. Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

Interesting post.

[ QUOTE ]
    GreatDeceiver said:
    AM2 develops VF for a very specific market: the Japanese arcade market, which is immensely different from the lazy, self-centered and fickle western console market. VF is an arcade competitive fighting game. It's unfortunate that Sega's American arcade division gave up on it long ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to generalize, but I think he is correct on this.

20. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

I think this argument/discussion has reached its limits. There are those people who will defend sega. There are those that will always say VF should never be on line, and there are those that will say it should be online...nobody is really wrong in their opinions.