1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Opponent wakeup kicks - What can I do to beat/punish them?

Discussion in 'Akira' started by Junsuina Chikara, May 18, 2013.

1. Junsuina Chikara

Junsuina Chikara Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Jun_Chikara
    XBL:
    LeprekaunTM
    Hi all. Many people that have played me on PSN would know that once I get a knockdown, I get distance to avoid wakeup kicks so it sort of resets my Akira pressure every time I get a knockdown. I'm not really concerned with Akira Vs. Akira since I know his wake up kicks can be evaded but for characters with full circular wakeup kicks, what can I do to beat them or punish them? I tried low/mid reversals but it doesn't work (yellow flash CH) since I think it's because it's full circular. I've tried timing a knee on wakeup, wakeup kicks still beat it :( so what can I do to keep the pressure on characters that have full circular wakeup kicks. I know it's possible to do 9K if it's a low but I don't know what option there is if it's a mid wakeup kick. Thanks.

Feck likes this.
  2. MakiLeSushi

MakiLeSushi Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
    As you say, when you doubt, KNEE. If u don t succeed, that means your timing is not good. But knee isn t the only solution. If ur opponent roll backward and do a rising kick (mid or low) on block it s +15 for you, that means punishible

3. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

You can beat them by hitting them on the same frame as it would hit you with a more powerful move. Akira's 214P is pretty good for this because of multiple active frames but nothing wrong with just 33P if you need the speed.
    Or CH it once with 466P+K and they'll probably wonder if it's worth doing them anymore.

Some of them also have distinguishable enough animations to be able to block right on reaction. It's pretty hard though and I especially wouldn't rely on that in online.

I hate it how it's near impossible to just jump over rising attacks and totally impossible to OM right through them. Kinda dries down the hard knockdown oki game.

EDIT. I think rising move damage was 20. So you can use moves with 21 or more damage to beat them. Experiment.

Feck and Pai~Chun like this.
  4. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    IMO you should never try to just block a rising attack unless absolutely necessary or it's from a backroll, on block you just get a nitaku where as actually beating them usually grants you a combo or atleast huge damage. Unfortunetly practicing beating rising attacks 100% certain is not possible due to the practice mode's getting up setting not working, but it can give you atleast a hint on about the timing needed to beat a rising move from a certain situation.

Feck likes this.
  5. IvorB

IvorB Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ivor_Biguns
    I still find this aspect of Virtua Fighter quite awkward to be honest. In Tekken, which I was playing before, there is no weird break in the action when someone gets knocked down as they can still take damage in all stages of the recovery. But in VF there is a weird spot where your moves just go right through the opponent as they are rising. I find this less than ideal.

So now I tend to back off to a safe distance but one still close enough to trigger the opponent to go for the rising kick. Then I try to punish when they whiff. Otherwise I feel caught up in a guessing game trying to figure if they will go high or low which isn't ideal. But this falls apart when my movement is constricted by wall or ring. So yeah... I find it all a bit awkward. In Tekken I would just carry on attacking them and it would be down to them to negotiate their way back into standing position.

I'm sure there are much better ways to deal with this though...

6. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

Just practice blocking rising kicks on reaction. It's possible.

Feck, MarlyJay, pana and 1 other person like this.
  7. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    It's good to try to find setups that will cause rising kicks to whiff, giving you the opportunity for a free punish. It's easiest to do from moves that cause a hard knockdown, like throws for example.

Feck likes this.
  8. Junsuina Chikara

Junsuina Chikara Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Jun_Chikara
    XBL:
    LeprekaunTM
    Thanks guys for the suggestions. I messed around in Dojo mode and I found a sure way to land the Knee to crush a mid rising kick but for the low, it has to be delayed more :( so it's tricky. Akira's 2 handed slam seems like the safest and best option. If no rising kick comes out and they guard the slam, I'm +3 so I still have the advantage. Not as much damage off it like the knee (I got 100+ damage off a CH Knee on rising kick) but I can get 100 points off the 2 handed slam so I'll take it :D. I need to incorporate the slam into my play though and to know when I'm too far to do it.

9. Sofiane

Sofiane Well-Known Member

PSN:
    sofiane-senshu
    XBL:
    Sofiane-senshu
    I'm usually mixing it up when dealing with rising attacks. Sometimes I'll go for 214+P or knee to beat it. Another good move to beat rising attacks with is 4,6+P+K since it can be charged and let go of making it easier for you time against either quick or delayed rising attacks.

Other times I like to do the same thing as IvorB said, only difference is that I tend to be somewhat closer in range, then timing a 6+P,4 at the right moment so that their rising attacks will whiff, and that I'm still able to whiff punish it. Opponents tend to fall a lot for this bait.

Lastly I will jump over rising attacks at certain situations. I will do this only when I know what kind of rising attack they will do. For example after the 4,6+P P 3K+G,P, 466P+K combo I will dash then immediately jump over the opponent. If they tried to do a quick mid or low rising attack, it will jump over them and guarantee you a free back turned Spod.

And like Tricky said it's also possible to block it on reaction, which I will do mostly in low life situations or if I'm in a non favorable oki situations (long recovery after juggle).

Feck likes this.
  10. Tricky

I'd recommend doing it in all situations as if your become predictable in terms of when you'll block rising kicks, your opponent can abuse that fact and punish you. Blocking the kick should be option number 1, then all the other options become that much more strong due to the knowledge that you will block rising kicks.

Feck and _Denkai_ like this.
  11. _Denkai_

_Denkai_ Well-Known Member

Blocking the rising kick is the best option. Crushing a rising kick should be something you do sometimes, think of it as a shock factor. Jumping back is also an option but just don't let it be your only option (or even something you do 80% of the time).

12. shadowmaster

shadowmaster Well-Known Member

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    I miss being able to jump over them and punish them from behind like I always did in Vanilla when I felt it was coming. I know it is still possible in FS but I can't land it consistently and the free BT K I got for Pai everytime I knew it was coming really discouraged it back then. Why did they have to change that part of the game for oh well I don't practice getting over it but jumping over the foe enough and when I land it now it is by accident because I don't expect it to happen how sad.

Feck likes this.
  13. Sofiane

PSN:
    sofiane-senshu
    XBL:
    Sofiane-senshu
    Although both of you make valid points and it should be the most sensible option, I prefer to make my opponent stop doing them often, if at all. It's because I like to keep up pressure when I've scored a knockdown. And by blocking rising kicks, you don't seem to give them much incentive to stop doing them because they are mostly safe afterwards.

Feck likes this.
  14. Cozby

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    The problem with trying to beat rising attacks with your own attacks is that rising attacks can be delayed, causing your crushing attack to whiff and the rising kick to hit.

Feck likes this.
  15. Sofiane

PSN:
    sofiane-senshu
    XBL:
    Sofiane-senshu

That is when 4,6p+k hold comes in :). Hold and release depending on the timing of the wake up kick.

Feck likes this.
  16. Cozby

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    If the guy sees you charging, you think he'll still let a rising kick rip!?

Rodnutz, Feck, Tricky and 1 other person like this.
  17. Tricky

He can always roll backward and your 46P+K hold will whiff and they get a free launch. You're actually creating more mental pressure by blocking the rising kicks.

Feck likes this.
  18. _Denkai_

_Denkai_ Well-Known Member

Safe yes but natku situations in FS are quite dangerous to be in. Let's just say if I know for sure a rising attack will be blocked I wouldn't do it.

Feck likes this.
  19. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

20. Puno_de_Leyenda

Puno_de_Leyenda Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Seikuken
    ^This is beautiful-Thanks!