1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Orchard Point Singapore 18th March

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by Tetra, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Genie47

Genie47 Well-Known Member

The X-Box will be officially launched in Australia on 21 Mar 02. Every shop I go to has this frenzied PS2 offer. Anyway, the PS2 down under is definitely worth it. It being a PAL set and you can get it modded down under and it will still be cheaper than those done by the Bengs in SLS or in some nook and cranny of SG.

2. Tetra

Tetra Well-Known Member

oh.. tat explains why... cos it's a PAL set. PAL set are usually cheaper i think.

3. feii

feii Well-Known Member

PSN:
    WEIHAO888
    awww didnt noe stuff in aus. is so cheap.

if i'd known....

4. Freud

Freud Well-Known Member

oei..NTSC or PAL..still PS2..can play Vf4 too..
    dun make it sound like PAL set so cheap leh..
    yah...my PS2 is a PAL set.. =p

5. danny13

danny13 Well-Known Member

Pal set is indeed cheaper. When i was in New Zealand last year in January, they were offering the PAL set alone at $500+ where at the same time, Singapore was selling NTSC sets at $600+. But......damn it..three bloody original games!

6. danny13

Are you gonna buy the X-BOX?

7. Genie47

No. Funds are low. The vacation in WA took a huge chunk. Will take time to recover. Bro is bent on the XBox if there is an equivalent GT3-depth driving game.

8. Freud

Freud Well-Known Member

the Gotham Project feels good ..but definitely not as realistic and not as much depth as GT3.
    different kind of gaming experience..
    btw...did you or anybody watching this...buy the Logitech Steering wheel for GT3? pls comment as i am quite keen on getting one.
    Its 2nd place on my shopping list now...1st place is of coz..the hori stick. looks like i'm going to be poor for the next few months.

9. Tetra

Tetra Well-Known Member

NTSC sets are always more expensive than PAL sets since way long ago /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

Not to mention that PAL sets have better mods first(ps2) hehe.

10. Rulakir

Rulakir Well-Known Member

Out of interest, aren't most television sets now NTSC in Singapore ?

11. furyhawk

furyhawk Active Member

12. Freud

Freud Well-Known Member

this was one big concern when i was doing research on PS2..
    i gathered that Singapore is actually PAL system...US and Jap run NTSC but most....almost all...tv sets in singapore support dual system(both NTSC and PAL).
    as for the exact difference between both systems..i do not know.

13. Genie47

This is a little off topic but here goes.

PAL PS2s are very desirable here if you plan to use your PS2 as the DVD player in your home entertainment centre (very extravagant here /versus/images/icons/smile.gif )

PAL PS2s when modded are able to play both PAL and NTSC DVDs while the NTSC ones can only play the NTSC DVDs.

BUT, I wouldn't recommend using your PS2 as a DVDP. The laser can get worn and I would suggest a dedicated DVDP for playing DVDs. I use a cheapo Shinco myself. No need to mod as it comes region free. Doesn't need a DD decoder HT sound system as it comes ready with a DD decoder. It can express sound in DTS if a SPDIF coaxial or optical connects to a HT sound system.

The PS2 on the other hand needs a decoder (read: expensive HT receiver with DD and DTS decoder) to express 5.1 surround sound.

14. Freud

Freud Well-Known Member

thanks for the info.
    from the way you mention it..it seems like at the next tournament in your home(if any)..we will be spending a few hours exploring the DVDP aspect of PS2 and your player liao.. hehe

15. Tetra

Tetra Well-Known Member

eh PAL dvds are realllyyyy rare in singapore isn't it?

16. Genie47

Yes they are rare but all Region 4 DVDs (Australia/NZ) are PAL. They are highly sought after by many DVD collectors like myself. PAL has higher resolution. Pictures appear more crisp depending on your DVDP. The sound mastering is superb and in most cases much better than R1. Another nice feature of R4 DVDs are that they are a lot more affordable than R1 in SG. Even Down Under, they are attractively priced. I got Moulin Rouge for AUD 43 and Gladiator for AUD 49. Both 2-disc collector's editions.

R4 discs are mainly seen in Music Warehouse at Capitol Bldg. Still much less expensive than their R1 counterparts. Great bang for the buck.

17. Genie47

'Fraid not. My 5.1 HT system is one of those that come in a box. Has analog 5.1 inputs/outputs but no optical. You cannot experience the 5.1 sound without that. The only thing I have going is Dolby ProLogic for the PS2 when playing games.

18. furyhawk

furyhawk Active Member

Where do u guys play VF4?? PS2 or Arcade? Which Arcade?

19. danny13

Both actually. Sometimes at Shun_05's home, sometime at Ang Mo Kio Funland or Bugis VirtauLand.

20. furyhawk

furyhawk Active Member

I got a PS 2. But dun have a proper Joystick. Where u brought your good joystick?? $$ how much??