1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Akihabara High Tech Land is now Club Sega

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Chanchai, Dec 2, 2000.

1. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

2. sta783

sta783 Well-Known Member

That SUCKS.

Club SEGA is the worst thing they can do to the arcade gamers.

3. Chanchai

I'd like to hear your reasoning on it/images/icons/smile.gif

I know nothing of the arcade or about club sega or even arcade gaming in Japan. Are you referring to it as an action that is killing an environment suitable for the more devout arcade gamers by making it a big pop-spot where teenie-boppers and clueless non-gamers will take over and flood the lines for the competition worthy games?

4. vfighter

vfighter Member

Ah don't listen to sta783. That place was looking pretty scummy when I played there a few months ago. It's good to hear they fixed it up. It looks a lot better now. I can't wait to go back in a couple of years!

5. Jason Cha

Jason Cha Well-Known Member

I gotta strongly agree with Shota. The high tech land was always scuzzy, at least for the years I went there, but it definately was a special place. I don't know anything about Club Sega and what they're trying to do with that, but somehow I'm skeptical it will attract the same kind of hardcore guys that used to play there. I remember seeing Virtua Fighter TB there when they were beta'ing it.

Still, towards the end kani-spo was the place to go to play. But then again, you could always drop by Akihabara and reasonably expect to play good people there...

I guess things change even if your memories don't.

-Jason

6. sta783

sta783 Well-Known Member

I literraly said "Fuck" to myself when I read the news.
    Yes, Hightech Land Akihabara needed a little mod, their air conditioning would not work, so and so forth.

Club SEGA, in SEGA's great vision, is the place where the adults can enjoy playing the videogames. As a matter of fact, Club SEGA won't carry any of those "low-class" videogames like VF or SF. The place only carries those big games like ski-games, Rally2, DDR, etc.... So it is much like Dave & Busters or Gameworks over in the U.S. While there is nothing wrong with those big "theme" games, having no VF machine would hurt a little, wouldn't it?

I don't really give a rat's ass about whether the place is dirty or pretty (hell....I've been to many arcades WORSE), or whether the place can attract the hardcore gamers and such.

As long as the arcade carries the games, people will go. If there is no game, no one will go there to play games. So I can only hope that this particular Club SEGA is different from hundred other Club SEGAs in the nation.

Since Akihabara is a town where all sprts of geeks flock, SEGA arcade there was one of the best places to find competition in every type of game. VF competition is fine, there are always some people playing whom I can feast on (unlike Kanispo, I can actually WIN). It was good for SF competition, and I know Jesse from MN loved that place because he could play both VF and SuperTurbo. The arcade has got the toughest competition for those tetris-like puzzle games. i had absolutely no chance....

Again I can only hope that this Club SEGA is....NOT like any other Club SEGA.

7. Chanchai

Well, if they still have a VF machine, you can always prey on the "corporate players" hehehe... Maybe even get some betting action going on/images/icons/tongue.gif

Hussling VF... that would be nice/images/icons/smile.gif

Anyways... Hmmm, that is too bad. The only thing I want in arcades is that they have the games I want... And damn, VF and Super Turbo in one arcade is a wonderful thing. Puzzle game competition... DAMN!!!! I wish such a thing existed in the US... besides California anyways (and no I don't support the belief that the world revolves around cali, I'll kill you if you say that)...

HEY, did the Shooter geeks hang out there?! Shooters like Radiant Silvergun and 1942 and all?! Cotton?!

Anyways, from the sounds of it, the old akihabara sounded like it was still safer than say, Japan Arcade in LA.

-Chanchai