1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Out with it!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by ice-9, Jun 12, 2000.

1. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

What characters do you guys use?

Harold? Shota? Andy?

I know Adam uses Ein...that's pretty much it.

ice-9

2. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

Re: I use hayabusa, gen fu, tina

this post was much longer but it keeps desappearing
    i give up.

hey ice, it's cool that you also like DOA2, I've been
    loving this game ever since I saw it at the arcades.
    indeed it does have a vf "feel" to it, small things like
    jumping over a low rising attack into a low throw reminds me
    of basic okiseme technics from wolf an

3. Emil

Emil Well-Known Member

Jann Lee and Bass all the way.

WaaaaaChaaaaaa!!!!

4. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Re: I use hayabusa, gen fu, tina

Hey Sal! What's up with your computer? Anyway, what character do you use?

BTW, you should type your message first in Notepad and then copy and pasting...just in case something happens.

ice-9

5. TripleRaid

TripleRaid Active Member

I use Ein, Zack, Jann-Lee, and just about everyone else.

My goal is to master everyone.

TripleRaid
    Give me an e-mail at, crich200@gulftel.com

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Re: Jann Lee, Helena

Jann Lee's a lot of fun--and very "expressive." He seems to be the Jacky-type character: easy to pick up, and the kind of guy any competent DOAer will be able to go a few rounds with.

I like Helena's motions a lot. moves blend togther the way Nelson plays Shun.

Question for you all: mechanicaly speaking, do the characters play more similarly than in VF? like everyone has reversals and low throws, everyone has moves that stagger, moves that launch, air combos, etc. throws all do roughly the same damage, so it's more a matter of *when* you land a throw rather than *which* throw you do. so learning a new character is mostly matter of mapping you old methods to a new move list. Yes? No?

Also, do the heavyweights do significantly more damage than the lightweights? sure, they have multi-throws, but these aren't particularly hard to get out of.

7. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Throws are highly simplified for DOA2. Except for placement purposes (and the throws surprisingly don't really give that much variety), you should always go for the most damaging throw. That's usually QCB S P for most characters.

The fundamental system is the same for everyone...a basic rocks-paper-scissors type of gameplay. Master that, and you have a basis for playing all the characters. It's a slightly different mindset, but one that most VF veterans should be able to easily slide in. The characters, however, are different enough so you wouldn't feel like you're playing the same character over and over again.

As for the heavies comment...I can't be too sure. I have no problems with Bass, but I think Leon could be a little tough. The CPU at least.

Speaking of which, I've heard that the more precise your timing at pulling off linked throws, the more difficult it would be to escape it. Supposedly, perfectly pulled off multi links are nigh impossible to escape? I wouldn't know, as I've escaped every single one of the CPU's linked throws just by guessing what seemed like the right time to do it and/or button mashing if I had no idea. I've set the CPU difficulty level to the hardest since day 1 as well.

ice-9

8. Emil

Emil Well-Known Member

"Also, do the heavyweights do significantly more damage than the lightweights? sure, they have multi-throws, but these aren't particularly hard to get out of."

Heavyweights do significantly more damage with their throws.

Bass has f,b+P+G crouch throw which takes 80 points of damage. 130 with high counter. Tina also has this throw which makes her a heavyweight too.

Leon has qcf+P+G which does 70 damage and 100 damage on high counter.

All of these throws are also front wall throws that do 1/2 damage.
    A high counter wall throw from Bass or Tina will actually do about 65% damage.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey hey hey. 'Sup, y'all?

Sure was surprised to see this DOA2 forum here. Well... not totally, but... heh. Anyway... the guys I use:

It's hard to ignore the strength of Jann Lee and Gen Fu. Both these guys seem WAAAAAAAY overpowered. Definitely top-tier shit. Although this may change as everyone learns more about the game (doubt it though).

Ein and Kasumi play very similiarly (to me). They seem like the Bryants of the game. Easy to just pick up and get nasty with. Lots of flexibility. Well rounded and pretty good damage considering that.

And then there's Hayabusa. Like ice-9... people who know me are not going to be surprised that he was my first pick. But I find him lacking something (esp

10. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

i play hayabusa (DH skill baby!),gen fu, and
    tina.

characters i hate; jann lee and ein.
    the overuse of jann lee's p+k is fustrating, and
    his flying kick.
    ein=ppp, nuff said

<font color=red>PICCOLO</font color=red>

11. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Hey Harold! What happened to your post? Ack, don't tell me something is screwy with the forum code. /images/icons/frown.gif

Anyway, I've been playing a lot of Gen Fu lately and this old man is STRONG. I finally downloaded your combo FAQ--thanks a lot for writing it, it was incredibly useful!!--and I've been trying out his TFT combos.

Holy @#$!!! TFT -> b+P+K -> F+K -> f+P,P,P+K on counter takes off 148 points!!! And TFT -> b+P+K -> u+P -> u+P -> d+P+K, b,f+P takes off 142 points on counter!!! Yee haw!!!

BTW, there's another combo starter you can use after the TFT -- with S+K. So far, however, I haven't found any really damaging combos with it...the b+P+K seems better so far in nearly every respect.

Is Jan Lee worth learning BTW? He seems like an interesting character, but so many people use him I'm hesitant to try and master him.

ice-9

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Re: Jann Lee

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Holy @#$!!! TFT -> b+P+K -> F+K -> f+P,P,P+K on counter takes off 148 points!!! And TFT -> b+P+K -> u+P -> u+P -> d+P+K, b,f+P takes off 142 points on counter!!! Yee haw!!!

<hr></blockquote>

dang.

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Is Jan Lee worth learning BTW? He seems like an interesting character, but so many people use him I'm hesitant to try and master him.

<hr></blockquote>

perhaps he is worth learning for one reason: you'll be fighting him. I started playing him, and I had to fight to keep Shang from playing him too: "play Ein, he's like Akira...." *given the time*, I'd probably learn everyone to the advanced scrub level: know the moves, the strings, the reversal levels, the follow-ups, what's throw counterable, what's punch counterable (if such concepts apply--?).

try high kick DH > f+S+P > CD f+P. according to the Chi-Crew combo faq (--thank you, guys) this should be entirely inescapeable, but the f+S+P seems v. difficult if your opponent crouches (I wish i had my own machine to test things out on). This is what got me wondering about the high throw auto-duck. you can't punch out of the f+S+P after the DH--the Jann Lee player would have to have terrible reflexes for it to miss--but if you crouch instead and Jann Lee's even a little slow with the f+S+P, he'll whiff. in the couple times I tried it myself in sparring mode, i never managed to connect. stupid fingers.

Could someone with more practice please confirm/deny whether f+S+P vs. crouching opponent after high kick DH is inescapeable? (I think the DH is stance dependent.) thank you in advance.

13. Emil

Emil Well-Known Member

"Could someone with more practice please confirm/deny whether f+S+P vs. crouching opponent after high kick DH is inescapeable? (I think the DH is stance dependent.) thank you in advance."

f+S+P after a high kick DH is NOT guaranteed but it will beat anything except ducking or a low DH.

btw
    After Jann Lee's mid punch DH b+p is guaranteed. The stun on this move is massive.

-Jann Lee slut

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks Emil. didn't guess the low DH, though.

hey Jeff, as you learn the game and specific characters, why don't you start posting flow charts? over time those posts could be assembled into a genuine gameplay FAQ to complement the Combo FAQ. I remember Rich saying one time that back in VF2 days, the reason there were so many good (and not so good) FAQs was that people would write them in an effort to learn the system and learn the characters. just a thought....

15. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    shaaaaduuup piccolo!!! :p

You just hate Ein cause i RAPE you with him...

*piccolo was seriously raped....but his asshole still buuuuurns"

heheheheeh...see you this friday SAL for some classic Street Fighter 2 & Champion Edition???

<font color=red>ORA! ORA! ORA!</font color=red>

<font color=white>adam</font color=white><font color=red>YUKI</font color=red>

16. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

For me...it's the deadly three - Gen-Fu - my god he is a monster, Lei-fang - yes...combative tai-chi...sorta..she just is cool as shit, and Helena. After those....some Jan-lee and the kickboxer guy.