1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

P+K

Discussion in 'Brad' started by deathsushi, Oct 14, 2012.

1. deathsushi

deathsushi Well-Known Member

Is anyone using P+K much in matches? I find that it's my least used weapon in Brad's arsenal (maybe second only to 1P+K), and I think that part of that is because I have trouble finding places to use it.

The bad things about it are that it's an extra 2 frames to execute, hits high, and presents a lot of the same stance options that PP and 6P do. Since ducking and slipping are where I pull most of my big damage from Brad, I generally don't bother with P+K.

Some of the good things I've noticed about P+K are that it looks a lot like PP and provides multiple options to you after successfully hitting or being blocked.

Because it looks so similar to PP, most people will either anticipate a low kick afterwards, or a stance entry. This means that your opponent is likely to either try and interrupt the string with 2P or block low (actually, most people fail to block low on PPK, but once you've trained them enough...). As such, P+K, P is likely to connect on the third punch. In instances where your opponent blocks the third punch, they are likely to assume that you've entered PPP. From here, most people will block expecting the follow up K from PPPK, and then try to attack when it doesn't come out immediately (I don't believe the K in PPPK).

So, that's a long and convoluted way to say that P+K, P, <delay>, P is likely to hit, provided you can connect or have the opponent to block high for the first two punches.

For people that are evade happy, you can finish with 2/8P and earn a sideturned opponent.

If you want to retreat and then restart your offense (or create an opportunity to bait the opponent into swayback K), you can finish the string with 6P.

So, loads of options. HOW DO I ACTUALLY USE THIS STRING IN MY OFFENSE?

Any ideas, advice, etc. would be awesome.

2. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

If you're within range, [P][+][K][6] Ducking mixups are much better than the string options. If you're at range then you can use [P][+][K] if you think the opponent might run into the third punch. Hit check, and then use the hook that side turns the opponent ([P][+][K][P][2]/[8][P]). Against Heavyweights, end the string with [4][P], as it is guaranteed to hit if the third punch counter hits. Huge damage combos are possible from that.

Also, if you predict that Wolf will use RAW, then [P][+][K][P][4][P] is your best option.

3. deathsushi

Right - but when/where do you actually use P+K instead of PP?

4. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

I've read what you've said about the two moves, and I don't agree that the opponent will easily confuse [P][+][K] with [P][P]. I use [P][P][K] sometimes to end a round, since the first two punches are fast, and the third kick won't get guarded unless the opponent is knowledgeable concerning Brad and has sharp reflexes. [P][+][K][P] is kind of a higher damage keep away/closing distance move. At least, that's how I use them.

5. deathsushi

Mmmm. Well, I'm basing it on the results I've gotten online, but, as I've said, I don't use this move very much, and I use PP frequently, so it's quite possible that my opponent's are just trained to assume two jabs are PP.

That being said, I'm not sure why opponents would be able to distinguish between the two - they're almost identical looking.

6. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

In regards to them looking the same:

P+K has two jabs from Brads leading shoulder while two jabs he uses front the back arm. P+K also seems to have more range than a standard jab but less than P,P. Finally it's a lot easier to duck and launch since he's stuck in the animation while PP you can just stop after the first punch.

7. G_A

G_A Well-Known Member

Personally I don't find [P][P] and [P]+[K] to look similar. That said, coming from a Brad player, it may not be relevant. But Brad makes a sound with his [P]+[K], don't forget it.

But what I love about [P]+[K], it's that even if it's guarded, it puts you in a good nitaku situation against characters that don't have a 11f [P] (or Vanessa with her 10f move from defensive stance).
    You can freely Duck [P]+[K] without being hit. If you can confirm the first hit it makes it powerful.
    If the opponent tends to evade/guard, Duck [P]+[G] instead.
    Since both are Ducking move, it gives almost no time for the opponent to react.

So I simply use [P]+[K] even if the opponent tends to guard.

R_Panda likes this.
  8. Libertine

I discovered a pretty cool use for [P][+][K] today. The last two hits of [P][+][K][P][4][P] will combo on the Heavyweights for a launch, as I've stated in the past. However, I've found that it also will connect against Goh, Brad, Lion, and Jacky from the Open Foot Position. It will probably also connect against other characters, but I haven't tested it on the others yet except for Sarah and Eileen, and it doesn't connect against them. So the combos, on counter hit, so far are:

Goh, Brad, and Jacky - [P][+][K][P][4][P] -> [9][P][+][K] -> [4][4][P] -> BT [2][P] -> Dash [P] -> [9][K] = 108 Damage

Lion - [P][+][K][P][4][P] -> [9][P][+][K] -> [4][4][P] -> BT [2][P] -> Dash [P] -> [1][P][+][K] -> [6][6][K] = 117 Damage

Because of the damage potential, this may be a better series to use than the [P][+][K][6] Ducking stuff, provided that you think your opponent will attempt to attack. Make sure you mix up [P][+][K] with a throw and delayed end of the string for a powerful nitaku situation in Open Stance. This strategy is feasible, as I've used it with success in matches.

G_A likes this.
  9. G_A

G_A Well-Known Member

I just tried it in training mode, I couldn't do it on Jacky or Lion. Worked on Brad or Goh.

Maybe it's dependent of the move countered or I am missing something.

10. Libertine

Maybe. I had the CPU set to counter with a jab.

11. G_A

G_A Well-Known Member

Ok, I made quickly the test against the "11fP team".

[​IMG]

It's definitely dependent of the move used by the opponent.

Apparently it seems reliable against Kage.
    For Lion... since he has some tricky hitbox on some moves, not sure what to think.
    Against Eileen it's not an option, and against Pai it's hard to tell.

Personally I would still go with P+K -> Ducking options in the general case. I may test against Kage the reliability if I have the opportunity.

Libertine likes this.
  12. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

I bet it dosen't work on eileen because she's so short.

13. R_Panda

R_Panda Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Likely_A_Panda
    XBL:
    R Panda
    Ya little monkey.

Tricky likes this.
  14. Libertine

Twonny, ExzetyXat1 and Feck like this.