1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Pad Players - What pad are you using?

Discussion in 'Joysticks and Other Controllers' started by soke, Dec 13, 2012.

1. soke

soke Well-Known Member

I was curious as to what are some of the more popular pads, especially for those in the xbox. The d-pad on the xbox controller is horrid. I order a ps2>xbox360 converter thats suppose to be lag free.

2. Rare_Entity

Rare_Entity Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Rare_Entity
    XBL:
    Rare Entity
    I use the stock Xbox 360 controller. It works fine for me but many players hate it for fighting games. Alternatives for the Xbox 360 include the Mad Catz Street Fighter pad and Hori pad EX2. If you want to use a Sony pad I've heard that the Cronus converter isn't bad.

3. shadowmaster

shadowmaster Well-Known Member

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    For PS3 I use my busted up and cracked Dual shock3 controller the motor that make it rumble came out of it and it still works so I am not complaining about it because I can't afford the overpriced crap that exists now as expensive as they are. For 360 I use a gamestop 360 pad. It looks likes normal 360 pad but it has a better dpad that is actually useable for precise inputs. I can get rough with it too and it still works too so I don't mind that either. I would get the 70 dollar wireless controller with the dpad I like the most but it is too delicate for me even casual play that is too hard will damage the dpad without too much effort. It is the only other controller I want aside from a game stop 360 pad personally.

I have normal 360 pads but I can't stand how inaccurate they are personally so I don't play them for VF at all

4. EvenPit

EvenPit Well-Known Member Content Manager Eileen

1st xbox 360 controller over here i like the way the whole pad is connected into one button it makes it easier to do some of those 214's and 236's. Downside though it'll sometimes screw you over when you try to sidestep i'll accidentally input 7,3 etc. instead of a linear input, but other than that it feels good to me.

5. leftylizard

leftylizard Well-Known Member

XBL:
    blue mouthwash
    im using the xbox 360 controller and it works okay with vf. i can do crouch dashes and wolf's burning hammer fairly easy with the left thumb stick.

the mad catz street fighter pad is not that good for vf. the direction cross is to restricive ...even though it kinda floats on one big circle. its much easier and fluid to use the xbox360 left thumbstick than the direction cross on the street fighter/wwe/sfXtekken pad.

pdp pad for 360 works pretty good for vf,but they are cheaply made and the thumbstick will not last more than three months. it uses micro switches for thumbstick and buttons. i went through two already. it only cost $15.00 though and it plays good while it last.

6. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    Official 360 pad.

Mainly use the thumbstick. Use the d-pad for [7] and [9] inputs though.

When I step I use both, so, like [6][6] on thumbstick [8] on dpad [4][4] on thumbstick. In vanilla I used to use the Dpad for MTE as well because it felt faster but it was less accurate for me doing [3] and [1] as a break for whatever reason.

Use default button setup. Can press [P]+[G] and [P]+[K] comfortably with my thumb but use the PKG and KG binds.

7. soke

soke Well-Known Member

I thought I was the only one who was doing this. I suppose if I gave it time I could really get use to it but I still feel Im able to move around better with a psx controller. Doing quick dashes with the thumbstick feel weird to me and when I try to do it with the d pad sometimes 7 or 9 comes out. Moves like Akira's GBOD is a lot easier with a thumbstick, though.

8. SilentNephilim

SilentNephilim Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SilentNephilim
    XBL:
    SilentNephilim
    I just use the regular 360 dpad. I guess i'm just used to it over the years.

9. ToyDingo

ToyDingo Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BrodiMAN
    Official Dualshock PS3 Sixaxis controller. Sometimes it doesn't pick up diagonal directions as well as I'd like. Otherwise, it's wonderful...

Ellis likes this.
  10. EvenPit

I have a quick question hopefully yall can help me out, it's about movement in general. On the pad i use i generally have to, for example: press back twice in order to back-dash once i just wanted to know if this is normal, or if it's just me? I've been trying to achieve that "professional" looking movement (I hope you know what im talking about it's kinda hard to explain), but all i've been getting lately was these half-done looking steps that makes me look like i'm on something. I am trying to eliminate me jumping back from my op, as I see back-dashing is much safer. I wish i had a video to provide to show yall what im talking about.

11. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    You have to push back twice to backdash in this game.

12. EvenPit

Oh ok i thought it was just me.

13. Neonomide

Neonomide Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Neonomide
    I'm pretty much a Dual Shock guy myself. DS3 L2/R2 are horrible so sometimes I use an adapter. Older and too new pads also seem to not negotiate well with my thumbs, it has to be a seasoned but not too stirred I guess.

Regarding dashes, I find left BD a slight problem, whitch reflects in my right side game overall.

14. soke

soke Well-Known Member

Im surprised people have issues with backdash on a pad. For me atleast I can do it faster on a pad than I can a stick. But then again I have maybe 20 hours total experience on a stick.

My convertor came in yesterday cant wait to try it out with my ps controller. Losing because of a controller is frustrating.

15. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    Yes, this is the reason, trust me :D

16. Neonomide

Neonomide Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Neonomide
    Oh, I actually meant left crouch BD, or 11 or front crouch dash from 2 player side. That seriously impairs my 2Player game.

17. soke

soke Well-Known Member

My xtokki converter came in. Man what a difference using a ps2 controller. What I want actually comes out and no pressure sensitive L2 and R2 buttons.

18. DomAug

DomAug dom Content Manager Lion Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    domaug
    VF4Efan uses a standard Dualshock 3 controller. luckily he got another one for Christmas, because the one he normally uses is "broken". he dropped it and it split apart but it still works. now, though, there's a rattling in it. it's probably part of the L2 button, but if it still works, he sees no reason to switch.

meanwhile, my other brother, kyota_wuskers, just got a WWE Brawl Stick to eventually mod and use. currently he uses his standard 360 controller or Dualshock 3 controller depending on the system he's playing on.

19. capt_catalina

capt_catalina Well-Known Member

PSN:
    capt_catalina
    Playstation pads seem to be the most dominant here in Eastern Canada. Many of which use a ps2 ds with either an inPin (PS3) or Xtokki 360 converter, due to tournaments requiring wired controllers. Rock solid performers.

20. EastBayKage

EastBayKage Well-Known Member

PSN:
    EastBayKage
    Wired PS3 Afterglow controller - stay away from this one. I don't use the joystick on it, which might be okay. But the d-pad is terrible. I get lots of input errors and have trouble with 66 inputs especially.