1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Pai - d+PK

Discussion in 'Pai' started by BakuBaku, Mar 22, 2002.

1. BakuBaku

BakuBaku Well-Known Member

or u+PK, I've used it just jokingly or to dance but. Is there any moves that it works well against or should I just avoid using this move all together. I havent really seen it talked about much in FAQ so....how do you use your trip?

2. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

It works fantastic against techrolling. That's the best time, I find, to use it.

cheers,

3. Sausage Man

Sausage Man Active Member

I agree with Llanfair, use it vs. tech rollers if they don't land face down head towards. It's also good vs. people who love to dodge. Playing against people who fight 95% of their game linearly, it lacks purpose.

4. mushen

mushen Well-Known Member

Try reading the Pai dojo. It has a good explaination on when you should use this..

5. BakuBaku

I read the thing in the Dojo, they Ice just didnt get in it as deep as I would have liked. I wanted to know other uses other than rising circle kick.

6. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

It's meant to trip up dodgers. If the opponent dodges up and you use u+P+K, you trip them and get a free pounce too. If they go down you can use d+P+K.
    It occasionally works in other situations, but that's it main use.

7. mushen

mushen Well-Known Member

From Pai's Dojo
    <blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Pai's other best new move, the Trip Up is a unique reversal for dodging, rolling, and circular sweeps. The Trip Up is a powerful okizeme tool as it will reverse TRs, side rolls, forward rolls, and circular rising kick, so in reality the only thing the opponent can do is roll backwards, rise without a kick (or use a straight rising kick in the correct situation), or QR. When the opponent realizes this, press the attack while the opponent is down.

<hr></blockquote>

I can't get this "trip up" to work on circular sweeps (all circular sweeps???), side rolls, and circular rising kick. What am I doing wrong? Any tips?

8. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I can't get this "trip up" to work on circular sweeps (all circular sweeps???), side rolls, and circular rising kick. What am I doing wrong? Any tips?

It's likely the author is wrong...
    the trip only works if the lower half of pai's leg (That's approximate) comes into contact with any part of the opponent's body while they are considered standing. In theory, that means that if pai's heel hits the opponent's ankle while the opponent does a sweep, the trip might win. But depending on which foot the opponent has forward, the sweep might come from the opposite direction. Or, it simply could be that regardless of anything, a sweep beats pai's trip every time.

The trip -can- also hit opponents as they are falling from a knockdown, I've done this on a wall float combo. It's just puny damage (no flip animation). If the opponent is cornered, sometimes this hits even when they're just standing there (and not dodging). My guess is that one of the characters is rotated slightly to make room for the animation.

Anyway! for practical purposes use the trip only on dodgers and against TR. Using it against side rolls... that sounds shaky, speculative. Using it against 'forward rolls' .. that must be one of those "egregious errors" I keep hearing about lately.

If you want to punish the opponent's high and low rising attacks, using any fairly powerful move to interrupt the attack works (and may leave pai less vulnerable, that trip sticks out there for a looong time). Some stuff I posted recently:
    ----------------------------------------
    If you know they like rising sweeps, u/f+K,K often beats rising sweeps, and also does decent damage and knocks down again. Another strategy (less reliable, more for showing off and okizeme purposes) is to wait until just after the rising sweep misses, then dash forward and do pai's low throw. Then do u/f+K,K from behind them.

I haven't tested it, but b+K+G is strong enough to interrupt high rising attacks. It will lose to low rising attacks. The kick in [d/f+P, K] looks similar and can also do the same thing, with the advantage that your opponent is more likely to try a rising attack if they see the low blue fist. The problem is that if the opponent is down, d/f+P will turn into a ground punch, and so you must knock them down and immediately HOLD D/F afterwards in order to make the low blue fist come out.

According to VP, pai's sweep (d+K+G) does thirty points and may beat either kind of rising attack when timed correctly.

9. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Well, I take back being sympathetic.

Anyway, mushen, I apologize but I didn't really understand her trip up all that well at the time and what you see in the Dojo is basically a synthesis of what was posted in Versus City (if you're diligent, when you look back on the Versus City posts the Dojo linked to you can see what I got from whom). I never got the chance to test the move out extensively in the arcades, telling myself I'd do the homework on the PS2 but never getting around to it.

In any case, that Dojo is long due for an update. The trip up does reverse sweeps (low circular attacks), but I find it very hard for it to work myself. As for the side rolls and forward rolls...that was obviously based on hearsay since I don't even think a forward roll exists in the game. I never got it to work on a side roll myself, but others reportedly have. Maybe it was changed in Version C?

Far and away, as Llanfair and Creed stated, you should use the trip up against dodging and tech rolls. The leg should point in the direction that the opponent is evading in. Also keep in mind that the trip up has significant execution time...20 frames.

10. BakuBaku

Meh, I didnt wanna really start a new post about this but what do you guys usually do after your Inashi. I usually struggle for a straight kick but its usually blocked or something so mainly I use it for some spacing. I read the stuff in the dojo before and I can just pull out the DSK on a punch but 80% of the time im grabbing a long kick, ya usually see them comming. The distance after that one is so far away I there is so little time to close in. Am I better off countering as much as I inashi, I think I really just use it because it looks cool. /versus/images/icons/frown.gif especaly against jumping knees'

11. vfbum

vfbum Well-Known Member

What else can her {d|u}+P+K reverse? I've personally seen it reverse Akira's dashing elbow and Jeff's high kick, which leads me to believe that it can reverse all lunging attacks (Lion's flying pokes, Lau's df,df+P) and high kicks.

12. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Pai's inashis indeed look amazing. I love using them as much as possible. On their own, they do little damage - true - however, they are demoralizing to your opponent. Some, like you said, end up with Pai being quite far away and in those cases I find her lunging kick (ff+K) to be quite good. The opponent can struggle to block the lunging kick, and that's ok because mixing this up with a quick dash to throw them makes the situation quite advantageous for Pai.

The inashis that leave you pretty close (sidekick, for example) are great to P, throw. The punch is guaranteed, afaik, and you can easily buffer the throw of your choice.

Essentially, Pai is at a good advantage with her inashis so mix up throwing with some float potential to keep your opponent guessing.

cheers,

13. MrWhite

MrWhite Well-Known Member

Forward Rolls exist. I have no fucking clue how to do them or what the conditions are but the comp. Akira has done it and single palmed out of it.
    Confirmed here people, forward rolls do exist.

14. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

A couple of weeks back, I SAW my friend's Akira did a forward roll...
    I saved the replay..super slow mo it (God I love this function...)...turns out it wasn't a forward roll. A side roll actually.

Rather, what happened was rather amusing. I have been experimenting on other ways to evade rising attacks(so far, not too shabby success rate..but pure flash...not very useful)
    I did a triphammer....tapped U, CD, U, CD( yes I miss my non stop Korean stepping days) anyway, outta nowhere..I see Akira rolling towards me n I just went ' WTF?'

Turns out my attempt to evade his attack only brought opponent's Akira closer to myself...because Akira's side roll and my non stop CDs were basically heading towards the same spot..thus misleading me into thinking that Akira did a forward roll.

Bah, so much for experimenting.

Forward rolls are not possible (to my best knowledge...I've read a total of two mooks,bits and pieces of arcadia, it was never mentioned before.)

15. BEM

BEM Member

The trip up does reverse sweeps (low circular attacks), but I find it very hard for it to work myself.

Thanks for confirming that. I got it to work in the beta, but I haven't yet managed to repeat it in version B. Any tips on the conditions or timing for the reversal? Does the move also work against rising sweeps?

16. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

It's really, really tough. I basically had a friend do Pai's d+K+G over and over again and I would try to reverse it with the trip up. I was successful maybe...1 out of every 5 tries, and this is in a controlled situation! I tried it a few times with low rising kicks but couldn't get even one that was successful, although one would think it's possible.

I really advise to use the trip up for dodges and TRs. If you think the opponent is going to rise low, the swallow kicks work just fine.