1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Pai: Final Tuned

Discussion in 'Pai' started by Myke, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Pai
    Text - Yanaga

Make the best use of her few changes

Her basic fighting style doesn't change, but compared to most characters she stands out as weakened.

Checking the changes to her existing moves

Firstly, let's look at the changes to her existing moves. The one move that has changed a lot is her [K], with the execution now one frame slower, so it can't punish moves like Akira's [2_][6][P]+[K]. Also, on hit the float is lower, so combos are hard to connect. Furthermore, the [K][P] string has had its hit properties changed from low to special low, so the mixups from K are no more.

As was touched on previously, her [9][K] attacking properties are now a mid-kick, which is a large change. Particularly in VF4 FT, kick moves that are sabaki'ed will now more often be knocked down in a special animation, so you have to be careful of this. As a counter to the opponents sabaki moves, you should go to using double handed moves like her [2_][6][P].

The bokutai [K]+[G][P] has also been changed greatly. The second hit has had a sabaki attached to it that will go through most high and mid attacks just as the move is coming out. Because of this, most of the time if the opponent tries to punish after the first hit they will get hit by the sabaki. After the second hit connects, you can follow on hit [6][6][P][K] but it's not guaranteed so there are some situations where it's safer not to go for it (it's a little easier to connect in closed stance.) Further, if the opponent is aware of the sabaki and blocks the second hit, it's +2 so you can continue on with moves like her [9][K].

Her [1][K]+[G] has had its motion changed, and the reach is quite a lot shorter. Also, the initiation and recovery frames seem quite a lot slower, so it gives the impression of being quite hard to use.

About the change moves

The A2 [4][P] is a move from back in VF4. The properties are pretty much the same as before, and it's a quite easy to use move. The other move that can be changed is the bokutai [P]. The B2 version is a high attack, which can string into a mid attack. If it's blocked, the opponent gets a free throw. It seems at the moment that either move can be used, and the A2 [4][P] looks to be an especially useful mid range tool.

Captions

- (about [4][P]) On small counter the opponent won't stomach crumple, but you do get a 2 frame advantage. Also, if the opponent blocks it you get a 1 frame advantage, so you can mix up [9][K], throw or a string.

Footnotes

About the new move, [6][6][P]+[K] - the motion is large, and it looks like it's really bad on recovery, but it's actually only -5 on guard. On normal hit, it's -3. Also, on small or medium counter, it gives +1. Finally, on large counter it gives a foot crumple and you can go into a combo. Also, it is considered airborne from early on, so it might even be useable in close range!?

Source: Arcadia Issue 52
    Translated by: noodalls

2. Raptor1017

Raptor1017 Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Myke said:

Her basic fighting style doesn't change, but compared to most characters she stands out as weakened. [/i][/b]

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

her improvments are few and far between if any at all /versus/images/graemlins/mad.gif

4. ELiusive

ELiusive Well-Known Member

Awesome? Come on, her combos do 2/3 what other characters' do and she floats like a hot air balloon. Was she that much of a problem?

5. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    ELiusive said:

Awesome? Come on, her combos do 2/3 what other characters' do and she floats like a hot air balloon. Was she that much of a problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

I must say that Pai is down right nasty in the right hands. I think Llan's Pai style is one of the most effective ways to play Pai. He consistently lands her bigger combos, mixes that with a whole lot of setup throw mind games, inashis, and cancels. It's a very tough style to play against, if his Pai gets a foothold you likely lose. I don't mind her being toned down a bit -- but I must admit that her effectiveness has not been diminished in FT. Llan still gets on a tear regularly with her. Not to mention her new jumping low blue fist into that stance thingy. A great round-ended -- do you block low? or to you try and nail her during the cancel? Not too mention the has great range -- before I used to rely on Brad's excellent range with FC,b+K for the end game, but that new move trumps that.

Pai is still a powerhouse.

kbcat

6. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

I have been formulating my thoughts based on numerous FT games logged, as well as the translation from noodalls through Myke.

While I will post again with a more in depth analysis of Pai in FT (based on, of course, 3 weeks of play), I will say that Pai is, imo, improved from Evo. I base this on a number of things - little to no change in her damage from combos, new move(s) which have actual use and contribute further to her variety of in-game flow, and her overall fun-factor.

I have to disagree with people having the assumption that the changes are not up to par. Especially if your opinion is based on the few and far between Pai clips that have emerged. The clips, imo, are not representative of what Pai has to offer in FT. Far from it, in fact.

Like I said, I would like to formulate my thoughts further on her move changes - K at 14 frames, Sabakiable swallow kicks, etc - and post more later.

<font color="yellow">.cheers.</font>

7. cheatah

cheatah Well-Known Member

I think Pai is not so much weakened but must be played with a smarter style. Having the slight change in frames to some of her key moves forces Pai players to not overuse some moves like the [9_]+[K] as much. Pai players just need to adapt and play a little smarter thats all. I love the way Llan plays Pai because he makes good use of her counters. I have to learn that from him =)

8. Raptor1017

[ QUOTE ]
    ELiusive said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you honestly not catch the sarcasm in my post?
    But I'll wait to hear more from Llan, since he and Cappo both seem to think she isn't really weakened

9. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

I have to agree with llan in this respect, I just got my FT Master Guide and from a quick look at the changes, Pai did not lose much of her strength from Evo. I'll slow update the info for every character.

10. J6Commander

J6Commander Well-Known Member

Note that Pai can access her old evo 13 frame kick with the command [4][6]+[K].
    /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Hey Srider, any ideas on how I can get my grubby hands on that guide? There was link posted for a site that had it, but the site would not sell it outside of Japan.

12. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

I managed to get one through ebay. Try there maybe?

<font color="yellow">.cheers.</font>

13. Pai_Garu

I got mine from www.kinokuniya.com, the site is all in japanese though. The shipping is much cheaper compared to amazon japan.

14. Cupcake_Desu

Cupcake_Desu Well-Known Member

dont suppose anyone else has seen any of pais other new moves besides her new jumping low, that double hop kick , her back turned elbow and hit throw??.

15. Raptor1017

[ QUOTE ]
    geewai_ho said:

dont suppose anyone else has seen any of pais other new moves besides her new jumping low, that double hop kick , her back turned elbow and hit throw??.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's it, she doesn't have any.

16. SliceOfPai

SliceOfPai Well-Known Member

Well so much for my mid-range keep away techniques. I was rather fond of using her [1][K]+[G] and catching people with the absolute end of it with relative safety.

17. Cupcake_Desu

i waswatching a clip with takuya pai and it seems she might have a new follow up after [P][P][P], at the end of the match aganst reorao kage she does[P][P][P] instantly followed up by her [K][G] kick. It came out pretty quick so im guessing its a new follow up as her [K]+[G] cant be inputed that quickly after her p serires and is normally alot slower

18. Pai_Garu

That is actually just the new animation for her old [P][P][P][K].

19. Cupcake_Desu

can pais new [6],[6][P]+[K] allow you to go into her [P][P] strings????

20. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    [6][6][P]+[K][4] goes to Bokutai, from which you can go into [P][P] strings.

[6][6][P]+[K] recovers crouching.