1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Pai for Dummies stradegy and techneques

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by marcel, Jan 6, 2002.

1. marcel

marcel Well-Known Member

Pai for Dummies stradegy and techneques

The following are moves and combo's from beginner to advanced (not to advanced) and when it is best to use them and some other stuff about Pai.
    Pai Chan: costume 1 blue body suit simular to that of VF2
    costume 2 red upper suit big red and orange hat and white pants
    Basic moves:
    Chuu Ken-p
    Souchuu Ken-p while crouching
    Senchuu Tai-down+forward, k
    Senpuuga-b+k
    Enjin Senpuuukyaku-back b+k
    Ensen Shuu- b+k while crouching
    Basic combos:
    Renkan Tenshin Kyaku-p p p k
    Renkan Tenshin Soukyaku-p p p down+k
    Renkan Haitenkyaku- p p p up+back k
    Other Moves:
    Sokushin Inshou-forward forward p+k
    Renken Hyakuu-forward+up+kick pause kick
    Enfuu Rinshuu-forward p+k+g on crouching opponent.
    Rinsekensui-back back+punch
    Counters:
    Ensen Hairyuu-back+punch (to counter a punch or kick)
    Kakyaku-down+back+p (to counter a midlevel kick)
    These are basic moves for beginners to get you started.
    Game on! Pai can be a all around good fighter even for beginners so give her a try.

2. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

1) Have you checked out the Step 1 Guide here on VFDC? It covers rather a lot of this stuff, with strategy to boot.
    2) Interesting... the low throw gets mentioned (which is pretty sad anyway), but no regular throws (even DDT is apparently less worthy of space than PPPK, which I have used successfully exactly twice). Hey, at least P(G) is at the top of the list :)
    3) It would be much more readable if you used d,f,u,b instead of typing out the words. Check out VirtuaProject for some of this notation.

3. marcel

marcel Well-Known Member

Thanks but... the point of this post was to get people who may have never played vf4 before started, they may not know about links at this site. I see your point though. : )

4. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Spelling for dummies

Just to reiterate, there is a website attached to this message board. A good Pai guide exists there now, and serves as a great starting point for anyone.

And just so you know, it's spelt as strategy, not stradegy, and techniques, not techneques.

5. gribbly

gribbly Well-Known Member

go here instead

Your intentions are good, but giving people incorrect information (b+P is not a VF4 high counter...) is not the way to encourage new players.

Go to <a target="_blank" href=http://virtuafighter.com/view.php?section=vf4&chara=pai&file=ice9_pai_introduction.html>the Pai Dojo</a> instead. Heaps of useful, correct information!

grib.

6. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

One small correction

(b+P is not a VF4 high counter...)

A counter is an attack that either interrupts the opponent's attack (MC) or hits the opponent after the attack before he can block (mC).

A reversal grabs the opponent's punch, elbow, or kick. Examples include b+P+K and db+P+K. I think that's what you meant, Marcel...

7. gaishou

gaishou Well-Known Member

heh, i eat pai.....lol. actually one of my better chars. always liked her since vf2.

8. marcel

marcel Well-Known Member

Okay I am okay with you all telling me about other simular strategies on the site. But you aren't my english teacher! I am a horrible speller so spare me the corrections. I know errors catch peoples eyes but please spare me. And yet again by the time someone told me my errors I couldn't change them. Thanks anyway. Oh and keep your eyes pealed for part 2. : )

9. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

Word of advice: if you want to be taken more seriously, watch your spelling more. The excuse "I am bad at spelling" doesn't cut it. By that logic, well, why learn anything then, since you start off bad at it. And in your profile, it's spelled "aikido" not "akiedo". You'd think that if you were studying a martial art you'd at least know what it's called.

10. marcel

marcel Well-Known Member

You're right, I probably wouldn't take me seriosly. But my brother did my bio, he found this site not me. I should change that. I think he did that on purpose. But no more dwelling on spelling. : )

11. gaishou

to not be taken seriously because of spelling on a bbs is kinda lame. so what if his typing or english is bad? what he put up on the board WOULD be useful to a newbie looking for info. sometimes people don't find the faqs and luckily stumble upon something like this. maybe some small errors, but a good beginners list of moves etc. at least he gave input and cares to try and help others. go ahead start flaming...

12. marcel

marcel Well-Known Member

Thank u, it is sorta hard here, I will admit I suck @ spelling, but if u paid more attention 2 my posts than my spelling u would be better off.

13. gaishou

marcel,

are you a regular pai user?? i have been since vf2. seems like she is VERY weak in vf4 though. seems sad to me. they've toned down one of the better characters in my opinion, and made characters like lion and lau, MUCH easier for someone to take 50%+ of your energy with a wall bashing combo. where pai's wall combos dont take off SHIT. she is very limited in her comboability. i've also found out she can only stagger with one move if i am correct: ff k. not that its a bad move but can be snuffed quite easily. Also, she gets floats WAY too easily. She needs to beefed up power wise and given a few more power moves IMO. I am starting to use sarah now, as I am pretty much the only sarah user in orlando's rockies replay. she's a fun alternative to pai for me. ok start flaming......

14. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

where pai's wall combos dont take off SHIT.

Try something like K, PPK (wall), then PPPd+K. You may even get K, PPKK, [wall], PPKK.

i've also found out she can only stagger with one move if i am correct: ff k. not that its a bad move but can be snuffed quite easily.

Her basic stagger tool has always been sidekick vs. a crouching opponent.
    Getting them to crouch isn't hard, hit them with: d+K+G, d/f+P, P, f+P - after losing 25% or more of their life to a sweep, they'll start crouching.

Also, she gets floats WAY too easily.
    Make up your mind, is she not strong enough or too strong?

A few people have mentioned it before, but K,K, pounce is very easy and damaging and makes the opponent feel foolish. It's the closest she has to a power move.

15. a_l_e_x

a_l_e_x Active Member

I played Pai regularly, but seems to me she's a bit stronger in VF4. She got two semi-useful stance (b+K, d and b+P+K+G) and a good sabaki (f,b+P,P good move imo). Agree with you though she's never a combo-powerhouse, and so light once she got floated just close your eyes and pray :)
    Heard that she's going to be toned up in ver.C, very much looking forward to it.... How about give her a knee and some moves from his father?(Just kidding of course :) )

16. gaishou

Make up your mind, is she not strong enough or too strong?

Sorry, I meant she gets floated way too easily, hence she's too light.

17. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

ahh ok. Yeah she's a big victim for float combos. It'll be nice when all the normal VF4 combos are well known and the good ones that require pai and aoi come out.

18. marcel

marcel Well-Known Member

Pai is extremely weak in VF4 and no dobt towards the bottom on most peoples player lists. I have been playing as her since VF1 and I just try to link chain combonations and I normally do fine. I do have to agree she is weak. I still always use her though. I think they toned her down a tad 2 much.

19. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Marcel, don't worry too much about the spelling. It is grating to some readers, but if you have a good point to make they'll see it. If you plan on writing something extensive though, as in your hint to a "part 2," you might want to run your text thru a spell checker to weed out the most obvious mistakes. It only takes a few minutes, and your readers will greatly appreciate it.

I'm planning on commenting on the Sarah dojo when I have the time... time... time... (if I only had more time...) and I'll copy and paste quotes from Ice-9's work into a new post on this board with my (and Adio's) comments. Why don't you do the same for the Pai dojo if you have additional comments or think differently about certain attacks/combos/throws. No need to go after the whole document. Just pick out what you think is important or disagree with. (I should follow my own advice... /versus/images/icons/wink.gif)

Re: your original post
    You need to point out high throws if you're trying to teach VF to a new player.

b,f+P+G; f,b+P+G and f,f+P+G are a good starting point for a newbie Pai player, although the n+P+G --> ground punch is also satisfactory.

You can hold off on the concept of throw reversing until they get more comfortable with the game flow.

Also, reversals are done with P+K in VF4.
    Pai's high punch/kick reversal is b+P+K
    the mid punch/kick/elbow/knee reversal is db+P+K

Consider changing to our convention of d,b,f,u and df,db,uf,ub to indicate joystick motions. It's not only easier to type, but also easier to read. Go to virtuaproject.com, click on any character's movelist and then click on the "legend" link at the top of the page to get an explanation of many of the common abbreviations we use to denote command motions. Except for maybe * and ^ in the virtuaproject movelists. Many people just type "D" or "FC" to indicate that you can only do an attack while crouching. In either case, it's usually easily understood when it's in context.

20. oldtimer

oldtimer Well-Known Member

I think the point should be to focus on her strengths.

One of which is her ability to move in and out of engagements. She's got speed.

To any new player to Pai, I always to make it a point to highlight her movement advantage.