1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Pai

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by AlexMD, Sep 3, 2000.

1. AlexMD

AlexMD Well-Known Member

Hi I've been working on my Pai recently and was just wondering if her f+p is blocked can she evade before being hit? and does anyone know how many frames it takes to evade?.Oh yeah, her b+p is there a situation where I should use this instead of her side kick other than to hit someone OTB? and is her D,f,p a viable launcher it's gotta be slower than her sidekick yes but is it a two handed irreversable attack?.Is Pai's f,f,p usefull outside of a float?.If Andy is reading this I'd appreciate some help, that SDE inashi b,d,p+g out of the ring is legendary around the internet VF community (sorry adam). : )

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by {Doomboy} on 9/3/00 06:50 AM.</FONT></P>

2. Gnug315

Gnug315 Well-Known Member

Hiya :)

I've dabbled a bit with Pai and might be able to answer some of those.

"...was just wondering if her f+p is blocked can she evade before being hit? "

Depends on the attack used by, and the proximity of, the other player. You're prolly better off trying to P-interrupt or just Guard the attack tho.

"...and does anyone know how many frames it takes to evade?."

Nope, sorry. Maybe there's a movelist somewhere that'll tell you.

"...her b+p is there a situation where I should use this instead of her side kick other than to hit someone OTB? "

Her b+p has a much longer reach than the sidekick, but also leaves her more open. It also takes slightly longer for her to execute, so you need to time it better than any spontaneous sidekick. Try not to use it too close. A Major Counter will allow for an easy ppp, d+k float. I like the move a lot, esp. for use in okizeme tactics when I'm not likely to get interupted or reversed.

"...and is her D,f,p a viable launcher it's gotta be slower than her sidekick yes but is it a two handed irreversable attack?"

Overall, it's less useful than her sidekick, but it definately has it's uses. It comes from a different angle than the sidekick, and yes, it's not reversable. It's best used at very close range as Pai is less vulnerable during the initial execution that with a very short-ranged sidekick. Massive floats on MC's.

"Is Pai's f,f,p usefull outside of a float?."

That is a float starter in itself. It has awesome priority - if you do Pai's u/f+p as a form of hoppyzeme against a rising attack, and your opponent blocks the attack, Pai's ff+p will interupt pretty much any counterattack, incl. a simple p-combo. Also, the optional k in the combo will connect if the ff+p lifted a crouching players Guard.

And yeah, Inashi into a throw is a simple yet awesome power that has helped me a lot. I used to drive esp. Akiras and Laus mad back in the day with that...

- Jan

3. Jason Cha

Jason Cha Well-Known Member

I haven't tried evading after a f+p, but something that works fairly well is f+p, b/d+p. b/d+p, in taking a step back, avoids the p that most opponents do after blocking pai's f+p, and not only does it knock down, it guarantees a pounce afterwards. (I'm not sure if high pounce is guarenteed.) I think it also avoids and smacks people retaliating with an elbow as well.

f+p has a recovery of 7 if blocked, so evading is pretty iffy if your opponent blocks and then attacks with a p or other quick move. I think you've raised an excellent question about how many frames it takes to evade an attack. I'm sure it takes a few frames, such that a Pai cannot evade Kage's p after having her f+p blocked. As for the exact number of frames... anyone?

As for the other moves, b+p, d_f+p, and ff+p, I don't use them regularly. Of course the d_f+p is useful in urawamari and ff+p in floats, but otherwise, I focus on p, sidekick, heelkick, f+p/d/b+p, d/b+kg, etc. But as anyone can tell you my Pai is quite boring.

Hope this helps.

-Jason

4. Jason Cha

Jason Cha Well-Known Member

Take heed of Jan's advice, I remember playing his Pai three years ago and its just really solid, no flash, nothing fancy, basic play that annihilated everyone who played against him.

Still doing d/f+k (stagger), f+p, d+k, d/f+p?

-Jason

5. Gnug315

Gnug315 Well-Known Member

Heya Jason :)

Thanks for the kind words. Hey, I play flashy on jap controls - come visit me here in Copenhagen :eek:). I got into inashi and reversals in a big way since my visit there... lotsa fun! :)

If you mean d/f+k (stagger), f+p, u/f+k, d/f+p, then yeah I still use it occasioanlly. It's not all that great tho. VF2 was more fun in that regard, with Pai's Pecks 'o Doom: it was five small hits instead of the four possible in VF3, but it's been too many years for me to remember the exact combo anymore. The memory goes with old age *sigh*.. it'll happen to you too some day :)

- Jan