1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Pai

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Chanchai, Feb 15, 2001.

1. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

bitch moan whine.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Actually what I will say is this....

It is easier to keep a streak with Jacky than with Pai...I can play both however...

the mistake making is much more forgiving to Jacky than with pai..I've always said a good player can punish Pai beating her making only one or two mistakes...I can afford to make some mistakes with Jacky and I can get away with it more often than not...

CrewNYC

3. Gnug315

Gnug315 Well-Known Member

Okay dude, I understand what you say :eek:)

Speaking of techniques.. imo, the things you mention are soooo unimportant compared to basic yomi skillz. Spending energy perfecting such things is like taking a sticker of a Formula 1 racing car in order to make it more streamlined.

There are more important things to concentrate on. :)

I saw a guy Korean step all over the place once, and not just a few times, but CONSTANTLY in the middle of the entire battle, along with some *really* sicko combos and stuff. My jaw literally dropped.

And yet... let's just say it didn't do him a lot of good :)

4. Mr. Bungle

i think this still adds up to what i said before...unless you can prove me wrong

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I agree with you, basic yomi is most important over everythnig else including advanced techniques...

But I can struggle very fast blocking tons of moves...or for instance I never do a single escape ever I do a double or triple escape every time and it helps alot, the Korean step when controlled is a big help...

I used to use it all over the place...like you were saying a few years back...around the First NYG which was in 99. Now I use it in a controlled manner...Korean stepping into a CD throw or heelkick.

CrewNYC

6. Mr. Bungle

andy...you are doing more bragging (for lack of a better word), writing more to validate your own skill than jan ever has and likely ever will do. what are you trying to prove?

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Well I hope I can play you someday Jan...part of why I defend Pai and specifically this winning percentage thing is because a large part of VF is the competition, and Pai brings out a competative nature in me...I used to want to be considered the best Pai of all pai players, similar to how Chibita is known for Lion. So when you bring her up it just made me want to play...hope we do someday! After seeing all the smilies that you wrote I know you meant to add something helpful :)

CrewNYC

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Well I hope I can play you someday Jan...part of why I defend Pai and specifically this winning percentage thing is because a large part of VF is the competition, and Pai brings out a competative nature in me...I used to want to be considered the best Pai of all pai players, similar to how Chibita is known for Lion. So when you bring her up it just made me want to play...hope we do someday! After seeing all the smilies that you wrote I know you meant to add something helpful :)

CrewNYC

9. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Andy - I'm curious of this.

Say Jan did indeed make it down to NA and say, hypothetically, his Pai mashed your Pai to bits.

Would you consider all the intense VFing you've been doing all this time, while he's been casually playing, a complete waste?? How would you respond to that?

cheers,

<font color=white> Llanfair the prized <font color=green>cabbage</font color=green></font color=white>

10. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

He was banned from being by the best players in the second London tourney, by popular consent.

ugh...i'm trying to make absolute sense of this sentence
    so forgive me if I read it wrong (what did you mean by
    banned from being?) but...

Are you saying that the "best" players in a tournament
    decided that they would rather not face the threat of
    a character that might beat them?

GE

11. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    alot of what vf is about is competition, if I feel like I've played competatively to the full extent of my current skill, I feel satisfied, win or lose. If I lose and I feel like I completely cant win...then I acknnowledge the person as a much much better player and also I try to improve as well. I wont consider all this time i've spent playing a waste. I do think there are players that play casually that can beat me.

CrewNYC
    CrewNYC

<font color=red>ORA! ORA! ORA!</font color=red>

<font color=white>adam</font color=white><font color=red>YUKI</font color=red>

12. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    Andy,

My name is bryan, and I used to live in NYC. I played vf with my japanese friends ito and tetsuya as well as hiro, tetsuo, adam, nelson, and many others since vf2 in new york.

I just wanted to say a couple things. while I never really forged an aquaintance with you, I did play with you a couple of times at 47th, chinatown, and port authority. The last time I played with most of those guys was on a friday night in december of 98 at p.a.; I came to basically say goodbye to those guys (even I wasn't really in regular contact with them at that point) as I was moving to LA.

I make no claims to my VF ability at that time (or now) as I was extremely out of practice, and had basically dropped vf3 after the 1st generation of players and activity. In a nutshell, I suck.

Now, wasn't Tetsuo also a diehard Pai player from way back? I realize he had also been playing Aoi a lot then (that's who he used last time I met him), but do you really think that your pai outpaced his to such an extent where you can clearly say that yours was better (best in NA in your mind), or that he wasn't even a pai player?

spotlight

13. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    Wow, I didnt know you played with us Bryan, are you japanese? I remrmber one guy who played with the japanese guys but he was caucasian and pretty tall, he played wolf and Akira, was that you? If it is you were the first person I saw DLC, and I thought whoa he's pertty good.

You're right Tetsuo used to play pai all the time and Aoi, but I did outpace him after a while. He stopped playing probably like a year or so ago with us.

CrewNYC

<font color=red>ORA! ORA! ORA!</font color=red>

<font color=white>adam</font color=white><font color=red>YUKI</font color=red>

14. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

bryan eh?, were you the guy with the tattoes on your arm? if so, all i remember is watching you play vf2 with akira back in broadway arcade (the old one), u had a really good akira back then. but i only saw you there a handful of times. then vf3 came out, never saw you until vf3 came to chinatown, i played you once a couple of rounds, then u left with some friend, you were really silent, i dont remember ever hear you say anything :p. ok what else... oh yeah, then i saw you at p.a. arcade playing for a bit, it was a fairly large crowd that day. then i saw you at J & L (in chinatown) buying a DC and vf3 when i was doing the exact same thing there! hehe. then after that i never saw you again. so, was that you? :)

andy said:
    "You're right Tetsuo used to play pai all the time and Aoi, but I did outpace him after a while. He stopped playing probably like a year or so ago with us."

yeah, i second that, tetsuo used to play pai in the begining, but he was known for his excellent aoi. andy's pai indeed became better than tetsuo's pai, testsuo on the other hand was THE man for aoi (back then)....just confirming that.

<font color=red>PICCOLO</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by piccolo on 2/19/01 03:58 AM.</FONT></P>

15. Gnug315

No, I'm saying the best players of the tourney agreed not to use Jerky. Jerky was prolly my strongest char at the time, and Ryan swept thru the first London Showdown with him.

The way we saw it, there would be no honour in winning with Jerky. So Ryan concentrated on his Kage for some months in preperation for the second tourney, and won with him... which says a lot about Ryan's skillz at VF3, and fighting games in general.

I am ofcourse exagerating - it's not like either of us would have been guaranteed to win had we picked Jerky. While he's only very slightly stronger than the other chars (and might not be the strongest at the highest level), he is definately so much easier to play - he requires less skill to win with than, say, Pai. It just wouldn't impress anyone, so what's the point of it.

- Jan

16. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

"One of the (perhaps distateful) characteristics of a toplevel player is that he considers himself the best. Perhaps a trait a lot more than one of us shares :)"

HAHAHAHA
    Sorry, I'm not laughing at u.
    It's actually a point I agree upon.

Writers often give the advice 'if u think u're better, than show the world'

I think I am a excellent leader. I have responses, results to show that too. Yet when ever my authority is challenged, I let the guy lead the team for a while...until he knows he has to learn more. It is not to insult him, rather, I let him learn.

So, yeah I am a big believer in that if u think u're good enuff, always carry that pride n confidence. Never let it fade away.

For all I know, I am still convinced I CAN GO JAPAN AND WIN EM ALL!

Just like when I first played Myke.
    I did not know what kind of player he would be. (for some odd reasons, i had a vibe he would kick mah beginner ass)

Yet, I was convinced my ganmeplay would cause him lotsa pain.(kick here, kick there, kick everywhere), which it did happen to a certain degree.

yet, had i given up any sort oo hope in kicking him, I would have ended up like my sparring partenr, who did not win a single game. All because he did not believe in himself.

<font color=red>SummErs' 'mibu's lone wolf'

17. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

"he requires less skill to win with than, say, Pai. It just wouldn't impress anyone, so what's the point of it."

On this note, I shall disagree with u.

Most people here knows I play Jacky differently.

I think most people think Jacky takes less skill to win because his combos are easy to do...thus equatng less skills.

Do me a fav.
    Describe to me exactly why u say it takes less skill to win.
    Because anyone that has seen me play Jacky has never said ' U WIN BECAUSE JACKY IS EASIER TO USE'

Every single one I played with says my Jacky is different. The only reason why it does not impress ppl is becos many are stuck with the elbow->heelkick theory, etc. Which evidently, I do not follow. Ah hell, I don't even use the elbow to poke.

There are many ways to use Jacky creativly, effectivly.
    And believe me, for such a 'beginner' character, it takes skills.

And that, is the point.

18. Gnug315

I think my Jacky was the same - a lot of fun stuff, and very little elbow-hellkick-pounce. It was very different from Ryan's Jacky, who 'd overuse that combo until the entire audience was groaning... and there was very little one felt one could do about it.

It was just how we felt at the time of that tourney *shrug*. You'd understand if you'd seen Ryan's Jacky. He agreed himself totally, but in his opinion one plays to win, and he had no qualms playing Jerky in an extremely boring way as long as it worked.

The reason I say it takes less skill to win with Jacky is because if two new players were to pick Jacky and Shun, and develope one character each, I think the Jacky player would have a much easier time winning thruout their entire VF3 careers.

At toplevel play, one learns to deal with boring Jackys. I personally don't have any problem playing a Jacky player, boring or not.

- Jan

19. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

That's the point.

At top level play, Jacky is not 'BORING'

And Jacky have an easier time winning compared to shun, I think it's not that 'entirely' true.

Esp at top level play.

20. Guest

Guest Guest

Hmm well even I can say it is easier to win with Jacky than it is with other characters simply because Jacky has a number of easy to execute, guaranteed damage moves. His throws are simle and he has enough of them to force a small guessing game.

There is a flip side to this though, the only problem with jacky is that he is so simple many people know how to block his moves effectvely taking away his biggest weapon which is his elbow. I used to rush like this, PP CD, d+p, elbow, hold forward and hit p->k(g) and grab. This type of rushing does not work very well anymore. I used this probably around the Java tea days there was this one player on that tape who rushed an aoi player and it was incredible. I heard about that rush actually from Kris Amico's page to give you an idea of how long ago that was. However since then a rushing or poking (constant that is) jacky can get p MC too easily and thrown as a result. This is why it is actually hard to win using Jacky when you've played people who have alot of anti-jacky type tactics.

CrewNYC