1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Pai's inashi follow ups and oki play

Discussion in 'Pai' started by LM_Akira, Mar 12, 2004.

1. LM_Akira

LM_Akira Well-Known Member

Well I've looked for some info about this kinda stuff and not really found much. What do other Pai players use as follow ups to successful inashis? I know this will obviously vary as different inashis have differnet properties and animations even. I tend to rely on things like;

[9][K][K]
    [K] (to try and float on counter)
    [K][K] (beatdown and hence possible free [3][P])
    [6][K][K]

However I don't think all these are useful in all circumstances. Can anyone suggest any further follow ups and to what move they must inashi against (Archangel or Llanfair perhaps?).

Also about the oki play I can end up using similar moves. I try and mix it up with;

[9][K][K]
    [4][K]+[G]
    [1][K]+[G]
    [2][K]+[G]
    [3][K]

as well as using some throws like;

[6][4][P]+[G]
    or trying her low throws.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what her best oki options are and when best to use them?

2. Cupcake_Desu

Cupcake_Desu Well-Known Member

why not try [6],[6][K], then after secound stagger whatever takes your fancy, most of the time i use that kick and about almost everytime i get it, or maybe even a normal [K] if your close enough

3. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

The inashi is her [6][4]+[P] right?

If so then there are a number of things you can try but i usually try and stick to the delayed [9_]+[K][K] (delayed because im not sure if the first will hit but if it does then i press [K] again) anyway some of the things i would suggest trying would be:

[6]+[P] if a counter hit then a throw of your choice

if they do a failed evade you can try her [8][9][6][3][2][1][4] [P]+[G] throw

On FE again you can use [K]+[G] (one of her most underrated and underused moves)

FE again try [1_]+[P] then whatever combo u can

On FE you could do [K] gets a lauch and the rest is up to you

There are so many things you can do, i think after a sucsessfull inashi most people go for [2][P] so be carefull about your choice. I'm not gonna list them all because the list is endless but i hope this helps. /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Key: FE = Failed evade.

4. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

LM - give me a day to dig up some info. I captured and sequenced all of Pai's inashi animations, aligned with the recovery data from 1/60 and had put together a small reference piece that I never got around to finishing and publishing, really. Let me dig that up, dust it off and produce a quick and dirty guide for using Pai's inashis.

re - Oki:
    I don't think anything you said is wrong and it covered many of the bases for Pai's options in situations when your opponent is getting up - generally from a tech roll. At least I'm assuming that's what you're getting at here.

Switching it up between her swallow kicks, a sweep and a throw can keep the opponent guessing if they keep tech rolling following a knock down. I think what's missing here are Pai's [2]+[P]+[K], and [8]+[P]+[K] trips. These are excellent to use against tech rollers to keep the opponent down and will lead to them thinking twice about rolling. Implementing these into your games can demoralize people and make Pai's ground game pretty scary.

Additionally, when discussing Oki, you need to address situations where the opponent is rising with an attack from a grounded state - ie. a non-tech rollable situation. Often, Pai players like to body-cross using a single swallow kick, but now with Evo there are more options for creating fancy Oki tactics. [6][6]+[K]+[G] will cross and leave Pai facing the opponent (bonus), as will plain-jane [K]+[G]. Both of these, imo, are risky but when they work your Pai looks like a genius.

Don't forget also that you can inashi or reverse many of the mid-level rising attacks and thus create even more mind-games.

Anyway - just my thoughts...I'll add more on inashis as soon as I dig up some older material that's still quite relevant.

<font color="yellow">.cheers.</font>

5. archangel

Cant wait for the vids LF tell me when u got it sorted please.

6. Llanfair

Inashis are Pai's [6]+[P]+[K], [3]+[P]+[K]. Pai's [6][4]+[P] is her sabaki.

7. archangel

oh her reversals durrrr silly me. I'll make another long post later on.

8. Llanfair

Not to nitpick, but... /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[6]+[P]+[K] and [3]+[P]+[K] are "inashis".

[4]+[P]+[K] and [1]+[P]+[K] are "reversals".

9. archangel

lol ok inashi's

10. andy

andy Well-Known Member

As for okizeme against tech-rollers, the ideal attack would be a full-circular mid move, like Vanessa's DS [6][6][K]. Pai has no such attacks, besides her dodge attack, and I have seen some Japanese players use it, but it is a little slow to start-up, and risky if blocked. Other options, are (while standing) [K] and [4][K], each of which are mid and half-circular in different directions. A rather simple mix-up is to crouch dash and alternate between (while standing) [K], and [6][P]+[G] for one of Pai's better throws. The return on [4][K] is not so good (only have advantage on MC) and going into stance with [4][K][2] is somewhat risky, so I tend to use it at the end of a round.

One throw that sets up oki well is [6][6][P]+[G]. Sometimes, I think if they get up with an attack in place, you can jump over with [9][K], and use [back][K] + combo to punish the whiffed rising attack.

One thing I have found that works with several of the inashis, especially those that push the opponent far away, is [4][K]+[G], particuarly for people who can struggle rather well. If they are bad at struggling, the attack may go over their heads.

11. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

I wish a (or many of you top) Pai player(s) could make an Pai:Evo dojo (as she plays differently) cause it's easy to feel how powerful she is just goofing around but it's hard to go beyond whoring cheap while rising tactics if you're new with her.

Looking forward to seing more info then and every effort is appreciated /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/KiwE

12. LM_Akira

LM_Akira Well-Known Member

To everyone:

Been away from a computer all weekend but thanks for the feedback, I appreciate all the comments and look forward to Llanfairs guide.

13. Chausin

Chausin Active Member

here is a link of a japan web site "China Doll Maniax"
    talking abt inashi:
    http://homepage3.nifty.com/pai/unsyu.html

let me do a little translation:
    Rev / guarantee move / ref
    HP or MP / nil / range between opponent is not fix (depends on the range before inashi?)
    HK or MK (right k) / nil / range is too far
    HK or MK (left k) / nil / range is too far
    SK (right) / k, 66k+g>ppkk / dash foward before k
    SK (left) / 9kk
    EL (right) / 9kk / watch out of the view pt change
    EL (left) / nil / 4k+g can be use against opponent with no recover
    KN (right) / 3k / 9kk not guarantee, 3k hit and stagger
    KN (left) / 9kk / 6kk and 6k+g use against slow recovery

remarks:
    (1) 3pk(max) would be use against long range and opponents with no reaction at all
    (2) other way to perform 9kk, hold "9" and rapidly press k
    (3) after inashi to KN(right), dash forward and do 2/8p+k whichever direction the opponent is, end with 8p(down attack) [it is so-call “combo’s literatureâ€Â] /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    (4) after inashi to KN(left), besides 9kk; 6k,66k and 6k+g are also work in “real battleâ€Â
    dash forward and k will be miss if opponent not recover, and could be guarded if fast recovery

the second chart is the description of the inashi

For the last 2 points:
    (1) hanjin (Chinese character) of the inashi to left and right HK/MK is opposite to each other, similar in the case inashi to left and right knee. [it is definitely not bother whom do not know hanjin]
    (2) inashi is good against character using many SK, EL and KN. On the other hand, reversal is better (eg. Against Jacky and Leifei). (emphasis on the damage only)

hope these may help! /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif