1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Palm reading, and Jeff's TKOD

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Myke, Dec 17, 1999.

1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    I was just reading through the TKOD guide for Jeffrey, which was compiled from a thread from a while ago. Anyway, it says:

<blockquote>If you insist on learning it the trick is to bring the stick back to neutral after the kick hits and to complete the motion before Jeffry's kicking foot touches the ground.</blockquote>

This isn't correct afaik. If you complete the motion before his foot touches the ground, I'm quite sure it doesn't work. But then the article goes on to say:

<blockquote>If you do it too quickly, the splash mountain wont come out. The motion needs to be started in the last 3-5 frames of the toe kick, and completed within 2 frames of his foot hitting the ground.</blockquote>

Which sounds more correct, and kinda contradicts what was said earlier. Anyway, what has all this to do with palm reading? I'm glad you asked! :)

You'll notice that as Jeff performs the Toe Kick, one of his arms is up and the other is down. As he kicks out, he clenches his hands into a fist, and then slowly opens them as his leg comes down. Look at the hand that's raised, and you'll find that if you complete the motion for the TKoD (d,df,f+P+G) the moment his hand is fully open, then you'll successfully perform the Splash Mountain (or Back Breaker if behind).

Whether or not this secret palm signal was by design or a coincidence I do not know, but hey, it seems to work.

__
    m y k e
    how ya gonna win when ya ain't right within?

2. Jason Cha

Jason Cha Well-Known Member

Wow, trust Myke to come up with a post worth reading. Just when I was about to give up on this board.

Personally, I've always attempted to finish the quarter circular motion of the TKoD right as Jeffrey's foot touches the floor, which agrees with Jeff's statement it should be within 2 frames of his foot hitting the floor... But that was in the VF1 days when I actually could TKoD regularly, and my memory could be quite wrong. But I never thought about reading Jeffrey's palms...

-Jason

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Giving head

I use a completely different appraoch to the TKoD. I look at the opponent, not Jeff. The victim bends his/her head forward when toe-kicked. As soon as his/her head starts rising back up, that's when I begin the joystick quarter circle rotation for the throw. This seems easier than Myke's method, since it cues you on when to start the throw, as opposed to when to finish it. But if you prefer knowing when it has to be finished: It has to be completed before Jeff and the opponent see eye-to-eye. This is pretty much the way I do Wolf's hit throw and Taka's f+PfbP+G hit throw as well. Another thing, whenever I do a TKoD against an opponent whose back is turned, I never get the Back Breaker. The toe kick always turns the opponent, and I still get the splash mountain.
    Regards, Imashroom

4. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Jason, just to clarify, I did not write the TKOD document. That was actually a compilation of a thread that had transpired some time ago.

ice-9 | Sennin

5. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Going down

Yeah, watching the opponent's head go down after the hit, and slowly rise during recovery is also a good indicator I suppose, but I found that there's a variation in the amount of time (i.e. the stun time) the head is down for depending on the type of hit - normal, mC, MC. However, the amount of time his hand takes to open is constant.

__
    m y k e
    how ya gonna win when ya ain't right within?