1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Pictures in users' signatures

Discussion in 'Site News, Questions and Feedback' started by GLC, Sep 24, 2002.

1. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Myke, why not turn those off? Or at least limit their resolution/size? It sort of pisses me off when I have to view a 285 x 200 pictures with a one-liner - and it's not only my opinion (for such jpeg, check out the signature of a guy named Jotaro, for instance).

2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Ideally I'd like to set a limit on the resolution and size of images included in signatures, but unfortunately there's no existing setting to control that, so I'd have to implement it myself.

I could appeal to everyone's good nature and kindly ask they remove any large (and especially animated) images in their signatures. But who am I kidding?

I'm planning to install the next major release of ubb.threads soon, and although I haven't checked, it may have an option to restrict sig images. If not, then I'd prefer to work on the hack for that version rather than this one.

3. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Isn't the avatar picture enough? I'm tired of guys that put two lines of colorful text, a link and a large picture under their posts, it's totally form over content.

4. Two_Bit_Mage

Two_Bit_Mage Well-Known Member

Is there a way for the avatar to be shown under the name? i never see it...

Edit: I already found out, sorry bout that

5. MrMojo

MrMojo Well-Known Member

Just wondering. Is mine ok?

6. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Your sig image is 300x180.

The height is too large in my opinion.

As a general rule of thumb, I'd prefer you didn't exceed around 100 for the height. I know many people's images are larger than this but I'm not cracking down on them (yet) since most are borderline cases.

7. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

im hoping mines ok, -_-;;
    must support the tokyo mafia goofiness

8. pltan

pltan Well-Known Member

Hmmm I'm having issues with mine. Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

9. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Change the extension to a familiar graphic format (.jpg, .gif, etc). You've got the image as a .txt and the forum code doesn't seem to like it.

10. pltan

pltan Well-Known Member

Cheers mate. I can't though... geocities doesn't permits links to graphic files. Ah well.

11. HiddenEvil

HiddenEvil Well-Known Member

Most forums tend to place a limit on sigs of around 100 in height, and 500 hundred in width.

12. EmpNovA

EmpNovA Well-Known Member

Ohtsuka_Akio_fan's picture in his sig is way too god damn large, as is HiddenEvil's imo.

Can you please put some sort of limit on picture sizes in sigs?

13. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    You didn't have to repost the images, I'm well aware of their sigs and the only problem I see is with ohtsuka akio fan's -- it's way too large, and in general I don't like people linking pics to sites other than their own. He's already been PM'd about it and if he doesn't change it, I will.

HiddenEvil's doesn't break any 'rules' in my mind, though that blue line across the middle could do with removing/fixing.

14. HiddenEvil

[ QUOTE ]
    Myke said:HiddenEvil's doesn't break any 'rules' in my mind, though that blue line across the middle could do with removing/fixing.

[/ QUOTE ]
    The blue line in the middle is because the banner is actually two separate banners. You see, on most forums they have a banner limit, so if you want a larger banner, you have to make two and put them together, and usually you can't see, but when you post the below eachother on this forum there is a small gap in between, which is why the blue line is there.

15. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    You know, on second thoughts, your sig image is too big. The total height being 160 (80x2) exceeds the current '100' limit I'm asking everyone to use.

Overall, it's taking up too much real estate (500x160!). If you only had the top half as your sig image then I don't think anything valuable would be lost, and even then I'd question the need to have it at a width of 500.

I mean, sure, Jolie's a hottie but this level of admiration is a bit much, isn't it?

16. HiddenEvil

lol. I'll remove it, but she does look exceptionally good in the new movie, and the Korn video.

17. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    HiddenEvil, your sig is way too big again. Re-read my previous post and please reduce your sig image asap. This is the last time I'll ask you to fix it up. Next time I do it myself.

18. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    REMINDER

Lately I've been wasting my time telling people that their signature image is too large in either filesize, or resolution.

If your signature image exceeds either:

100 pixels in height or 20k in size

then I'm removing your image without notice.

Frankly, I'm getting tired of having to do this a couple of times every week. We're getting close to the point where I'll just disable them altogether.