1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

played vf4, here to answer questions

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by BK__, Oct 6, 2001.

1. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

played vf4, here to answer questions

i was up in london today and experienced "the next step", so , you want my oppinion?? well here ya go..

i dont like the dodging system, sega have made it seem unecesary to dodge now and have taken a step back rather than forward, it is up, up or down down (vf2 is more like vf4 than 3)

i perfered the E button, because YOU decide more on HOW you move and step, there is less precision in vf4 and you cant be fast enough to use it right.... i cant see the "korean step technique" being done on vf4

other than that, i love the new multiple stances for different characters, kage / lei / jacky / sarah / pai /, it adds more depth to the game and realy makes it a good sequal

one other thing i dont like is way too many floor chains and boosted air chains, this isnt DOA!!

vf's chains were way more "underground" in vf3, they took precision and timing, now they have made them more common and versitile which makes the game seem more "shallow" and easy for begginers.

ya wanna know how i done??

well i got hurt with akira, he seems more stiff and moves arent that easily pulled off any more, not even his f,f,f,p..

i had troubles with the DLC, i pulled it off a couple of times, but no stun palm of doom, i just couldnt pull it off!!

i did superb with wolf though, it felf like vf3 again, i even had the comfidence to show off and cancel my combos into throws!

well, im in the tournament now anyway, how many of you signed up?? i look forward to the challenge (i'll probably be using wolf)

any way, im here to answer any questions you are unsure about the best that i can.. so bring it on!!

2. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Re: played vf4, here to answer questions

Single tap is enough to dodge and there are moves that dodge you out of harms way in a offensive style .
    The game is more accesible yes but beneath the surface lies a monster waiting to be awakened by the dedicated player .

3. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

i even had the comfidence to show off and cancel my combos into throws!

Eh? What do you mean? You can't really be cancelling combos :p

<font color=orange>Go die or something...</font color=orange>

4. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

hmmm... what i meant was p,k,g (canceling my high kick) and straight away throw!!

i just cant be as fast as i was in vf3, im gonna have to pretty much start all over again with akira as well, he seems alot more stiff (mabye it was the joystick)

5. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Then just say you've cancelled a PK :) You can't cancel combos in VF just like you do in eg. 2D games.

<font color=orange>Go die or something...</font color=orange>

6. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

and boosted air chains, this isnt DOA!!

<hr></blockquote>

Hmm...did you play much VF2, by chance? The floating in VF2 was, imo, stellar (and nothing like DOA). It required a lot more precision and timing than anything VF3 had to offer. VF3 combos were far easier, imo.

From what I've seen so far, VF4 seems to fall somewhere between - and I like that. Finally, when you make a mistake in VF, you're going to pay for it against a good player. VF3 rarely punished you, there was often a way out. VF4 hasn't gone backwards at all - it's a back on track.

cheers,

<font color=white>Llanfair</font color=white>
    <font color=orange>Booyah daddy mac! I'm stylin!</font color=orange>

7. Madin

Madin Well-Known Member

its not you its the arcade machines stick, i've played on better.
    the VF3 in funland has one of the best sticks for VF in my opinion. its not got a square movement, and the range is very tight, making SPOD, SDE and DLC much easier.

8. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Saying that VF4 is more like VF2 than VF3 is a big plus IMO.
    I like VF2 a lot more than VF3.

Good luck at the tourney! :)

9. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

actually, vf2 was more technical than vf3 IMO, but i dont like the fact that vf4 seems more linear (like part 2), in vf3, it was free movement at the touch of a button, but you decide what else to do with it i.e

d/f+E

d/f,d/f+E

u/f+E

or even combonations of movement such as..

d/b (crouching step) f,f, u/f+E, b, f/d+E side throw ect.

or dodge moves were more helpful such as

b, f+p+K+E (akira)

this is how the korean step developed, the fight seemed more 3D and precise, but going back to vf2 where it is more linear, makes the fights seem back/forward based

and also, what i meant about juggles in vf3, were floor juggles, they were harder and you had to dig deep to find god ones such as..

(lau) k+g, b, b, p SDE d/f+p+k (vs aoi only)

plus, you had to time it just right, and you had to be in the right position to do it (with the right surface)

in vf4, it is WAY too easy, with wolf, i managed to do this..

half circle back+p, p ,d+k, k (two low kicks in a row on the ground)

or akira..

d/f+p+k, (rising barge), DLC

and this ALL connected on the ground, the first hit knocked them on the floor.

IMO, vf4's flashy new image is hiding abit of technical touches
    to it's prevous series, in all, vf4 is an exellent game and a hardcore sequal...

but it lacks a certain charm about it which put me off abit

it lack it's simplicity out look with deep inside, a game that didnt need to hide behind an image or flashy effects, vf4 is forgetting that.

10. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

re: dodging

I'd like to go on record as saying that I love the new dodging system. Dodging was way too easy in 3, and as some have already mentioned, resulted in lucky escapes during heated battles. In 4, dodging has to be more deliberate. You can still dodge and perform any attack/throw you choose. And for those who are still unsure, a dodge is simply a tap up or down (i.e. return to neutral). With some practice you can dodge with a quick flick of the stick, but you just have to be smarter about it now. Dodging rising attacks are also possible.

re: ground combos

And this has been mentioned before, but many ground combos can be avoided if you TR (tech roll). But in general, more hits off the ground (OTG) are possible now.

You just have to accept that this is not VF3 anymore. Some things that were easy in 3 require a little more work in 4. OTOH, some things that were difficult in 3 are easier in 4. Movement, in particular, is just a different game now. Give it some time and it'll grow on you.

11. GeeseHoward

GeeseHoward Active Member

I'd have to admit that so far I think that the dodge system is better than what AM2 have done with VF4. OTB attacks are ridiculous as well. The host of new moves and characters will make it a better game, but VF3 still has a place in my heart as a better game in many aspects.

12. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

You're not QR/TRing enough. A lot of OTB combos can be avoided.

Give yourself a little time to get used to VF4... personally, I really like that it's more linear and has faster gameplay, more VF2-esque. VF4 is incredibly popular not just in Japan (where VF3 was), but Korea and Taiwan (where VF3 wasn't as much)... a fair number of Korean players who "strayed" to TTT are returning to the VF series precisely because it's more like 2 than 3.

...and just yesterday, we had around 12 people crowded around the VF4 machine at Sunnyvale Golfland, while the two T4 machines were all but empty (although this is not a VF vs TK thread, so I digress, but it's nice to see people see the light, heh).

[​IMG]

13. Trigger

Trigger Active Member

Nice! There will be more chance that sega will distribute some more vf machines if the current machines are making good cash.

Trigger/versus/images/icons/wink.gif

14. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

I heard from one of the arcade operators in Sunnyvale that Southern Hills Golfland down in Southern California is in danger of not receiving a VF4 ver.B machine because the location test was a dismal failure in terms of raking in the $$$... not sure if this is just a rumor or fact. I hope it's just an unfounded rumor!

[​IMG]

15. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Hey Myke, if the dodge is a full one, is an ECD easy to execute? I.e. were you able to buffer the CD in early in the dodge?

16. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

Hey Myke, if the dodge is a full one, is an ECD easy to execute? I.e. were you able to buffer the CD in early in the dodge?

Yes. In fact, you can CD from a regular/normal dodge as well if your hands are fast enough, but as you know regular dodge doesn't move very far off axis.

17. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Cool, I don't mind as much then. =)

18. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

it's kinda like a E, CD in vf3..but just not as wide...plus..not as easy to do..I suppose over time, it'll become second nature tp ya /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

<font color=red>~~~ 'Flock off feather brain, or u can stick around and find out the hard way!/versus/images/icons/mad.gif~~~'

19. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Re: DOging - so, would you say it feels like tekken tag?

"Victory can be anticipated, but not assured" Sun-Tzu

20. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC

I don't think it feels like TTT's dodges at all. When the characters move, it seems quicker to me....

I think it's funny people are declaring what VF4 is and isn't after playing a few weeks. We have no idea what VF4 is, IMO, and won't for a year or two most likely. I like comparisons to other games in the series, but the reality of what VF4 play will become is unknown I think.

I the future, the new dodge system might allow us to do things that make KS look like childs play. I was thinking about approaching with a CD, then reading the oppt's elbow, and getting the modified dodge, then CD'ing into a from crouch move... or you could get the small dodge, then cancel into a BCD to try and make the oppt whiff.

These are just ideas, but I think stuff like this will be common in a year or so, probably sooner.

I'm just looking forward to all we'll be able to do.

Spotlite