1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Playing arcade tb at SVGL...

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Chanchai, Sep 7, 2000.

1. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I'm enjoying myself in Sunnyvale right now. It's a nice area, love how U-turns are legal here (illegal in Oregon). However, I hate the speed dips... Oregon doesn't have them, and I don't ever recall them in WA (maybe they were there...), but I hate them altogether. Especially with the car I'm driving.... argghh.... oh well, minor complaint which means nothing overall (except getting honked at when you enter parking lots). I've never seen so many hot young women stroll babies in a mall before... I'd say mid or less twenties... No idea... Maybe it's just living in Oregon or something...

Anyways, I just got back from Sunnyvale Golf Land. I actually like this arcade a lot. I went today (a Wednesday) which means it's not packed or anything. Anyways, it's a medium standard size arcade as far as I can tell.

Okay, I went in there and lo and behold, a VF3 team battle arcade!!! Okay, so that's not news to anyone, but this is not one of those posts. team battle was written on a piece of paper or something and stuck up there near Virtua Fighter 3 (am I mistaken?). Big deal. Well, I nearly had a heart attack when I saw the "Out of Order" sign. Went to get tokens and Mr. Choi and I decided to go ahead and try it. Well, buttons were fine, sticks were fine, nothing wrong with the game!!!! Oh well, we suspect that it might have been on there since who knows when. Probably when Clopin told them that one of the buttons probably got stuck (the evils of coke, errgghh). Anyways, nobody probably tried to even do anything or even play it so...

Okay, here's the layout of the buttons

P K
    G E

All evenly spaced in a trapazoid. Wasn't really an issue to me, and I know this isn't standard layout (played VF3 ob awhile ago in Oregon).

Okay, this point has to be made. VF3 DC IS FASTER!!!! Now is there anything wrong with the arcade in reference to this? No. In fact, after playing for an hour, I really do like the arcade version. I haven't decided what I like better, but I don't really care. In general, they are different and similar at the same time. I was able to adjust personally.

Also, some things work differently. OTB combos seem different, as do some floats. Also, the fact that Mr. Choi (I just feel like calling him that hehe) plays Pai also really emphasized the difference in float height. We all know Pai and Sarah float more like Aoi in DC while they don't n arcade. Well, let's say I missed some combos, but it's no big deal. The game is rock solid, looks gorgeous, and I love it as an arcade game or as a port. They are different, but adjustable to me. (Not that I'm an expert or anything). The machine was set at two point team battle. This does take away some of the feel of team battle on 3 or 4 point that's for sure. It switches characters the same as DC except obviously much faster. Like 1 second (Ask Rich or Toronto people the exact details if that concerns you).

The joystick was a US stick. I don't think it's the the Happ Competition stick... but it was usable. Very very tight (not as tight as Japan or anything). Obviously concave buttons. Took me a bit to know where the diagonals were, but it was mostly down left where I had issues. However, it's no real excuse to me. I got a bit frustrated over it, but I was having fun playing the game and it doesn't matter too much to me. I'll adapt... John noticed me just not doing some moves, but oh well, it's a game, I'll adapt, I was having a lot of fun. Only time I acted out a bit was just when I did something so obvious or something purely stupid or just stood there.

In any case, I really like the arcade version. I'll admit it's very solid and imo really great. I like it the same as the DC version personally. I wasn't really "raised" on one completely yet, except maybe the DC version. The slower speed is significant. I felt it the moment I started moving. It's not an extreme amount, but it is there. From DC to arcade it should be obvious. Some people who went arcade to DC probably didn't notice it only because in your mind, I think things tend to seem faster anyways. But when something is slower, you usually will feel it, and arcade is slower. However, for me, it really does something about the flow of the game... Maybe I have that fraction of a second to redirect my thoughts and actions or something, but it's not at all a bad thing imo. The throw timing felt a bit different for cases such as staggers, maybe this is me. But I had to wait a bit longer for it (used to doing it quickly).

I've finally played arcade tb and I love it. Going back there really soon actually. Still not all that crazy about US sticks, but it's not that big of a deal to me. For some, probably. Just thought I'd rant about this little bit. I just hope that more people become open about embracing an opportunity to play the arcade when given the chance. It's great, though a bit different, but not at all a bad way. Not imo anyways.

-Chanchai

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I hope to set foot in the SVGL arcade one day. Where in
    the heck is it anyway? I've heard really good things about
    it, plus I wanna see how my Tekken skills stack up to the
    SVGL regulars. When did you say you were leaving again
    Chanchai?

"Granted my brother, we're good, but people can
    still see us."

3. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I'm leaving Sunday...

Bad news... My heart was broken yesterday as Clopin and I headed to SVGL and after arriving we realized that it is now broken. The monitor was completely dead. Another tb bites the dust....

Was working perfectly the day before yesterday too...

-Chanchai