1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Plenty of Wolf Questions............

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Cause, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Cause

Cause Well-Known Member

Finally got to play VF4 on PS2 yesterday, had alot of fun, but have a few Wolf questions.

(First off having seen the PS2 conversion, I think it looks pretty bad, that being said.........)

While playing what are some good set-ups to keep your opponent standing and throw bait?

Wolf has an extension to the Piledriver, it looks like Goldburgs Jackhammer, but it takes off less damage than just the Jackhammer itself. Are there any advantages to this extension or should I only do the normal jackhammer.

Is their anything guarenteed after either low throw reversal?

The new throw in which the commands are D, B, Up, F+Throw, I was having difficulty getting this out in a fight, but have seen clips where it is used often, can you buffer it say from a low punch, etc what is the best way to use this throw.

Thanks in advance

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

While playing what are some good set-ups to keep your opponent standing and throw bait?

The one thing opponents will learn to fear vs your wolf is knee/short shoulder combos. The knee and short shoulder pretty much work the same way, they set up easy combos like knee - P - elbow drop - pounce. So eating this combo is one thing that will encourage your opponent to guard more. Also keep in mind that good players, after a semi-risky move is blocked, like to do one of three things.
    1. Dodge 2. Guard 3. Low punch. A throw will beat 1 and 2, so if you see the opponent doing this after.. let's say a blocked sidekick, try for a HCF+P+G.
    If they like doing 3 or any other attack, keep using the knee combo until they resort to dodging and guarding.

Re: wolf's piledriver extension: Someone insisted to me that if you quickly enter this variation, it cannot be escaped at all. I have yet to test it, it sounds a little weird... a normal throw that can't be escaped. But the other advantage is (I think) that a shoulder drop is guaranteed. You may also have success at landing a pickup after.

Re: low throw reversal. Did you mean low punch reversal? Someone asked that very question today, read ice-9's rundown of good followups. There's also a post on virtuaproject that lists some good and guaranteed/near guaranteed combos. My understanding of the reversal is that if you reverse a punch with the left hand, some things will work, but if you reverse with the right hand, there are other options to use. Try a f+K knee.

re: the 3/4 circle throws - a lot of ppl think of this in terms of street fighter, where you have to whip out the throw quickly to avoid accidentally hopping. That won't happen in VF, so just start at up and carefully roll to forward, or vice versa, and don't rush it. You should be able to do it consistently. The hard part is getting the opponent to sit still long enough for you to crank it out and throw them.

3. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

Creed has addressed number one pretty well, though I wouldn't get TOO comfortable with knee, P, b+P, pounce. It's a light to midweight only combo and as they get heavier (up to Akira) starts to require MC on the knee and that they be standing. For the heavier characters, knee,d+P,knee usually works well.

As for the jackhammer, no matter how fast you enter it, you can still have the initial throw escaped. It does the same damage as the regular piledriver (both do 70), the advantage is that the jackhammer gives you a ring position switch. If the jackhammer wasn't there, the piledriver/body slam would be bad throw when you have your back to the edge of the ring, since Wolf takes a step back when he gets up/slams them. But with the jackhammer, he moves to a safer ring position.

4. MrWhite

MrWhite Well-Known Member

"Is their anything guarenteed after either low throw reversal? "

For a switch a f+K will nail them. As for the regular cut a b+P will be useful but is not guaranteed. Check the FAQ out.

"While playing what are some good set-ups to keep your opponent standing and throw bait? "

Apart from what Creed stated you might want to simply use d/b+P or b+K+G or HCB+P or f+P to keep them standing for a setup. Just condition them to stand.

"The new throw in which the commands are D, B, Up, F+Throw, I was having difficulty getting this out in a fight, but have seen clips where it is used often, can you buffer it say from a low punch, etc what is the best way to use this throw. "

A classic way to setup a KS is to connect with a P or d+P. While the opp. is reeling, you throw. Avoid going for a KS if your d+P is blocked, strong chances it'll whiff if you opp. does anything else than just sit there. As for a high P being blocked, follow with a K - G-cancel into the KS ( P [ opp. blocks it ], K[G], d,b,u,f+P+G ). This tactic is applicable to all characters.