1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Politics

Discussion in 'General' started by tonyfamilia, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Blessy

Blessy Moderator / -10 is just Nitaku Staff Member Content Manager Goh Bronze Supporter Content Manager Aoi Tournament Manager

From an outside view the United States of America has never been free. It's one of the most corporate controlled countries on this planet. But what can you expect from a country built on slave labour, hyper-capitalism and flawed individualist ideology?

The lack of political awareness in the American public is not entirely their fault (bare with me on this), but a result of class warfare inherited from capitalist ideology and the "British Empire". However, their is still personal responsibility for being ignorant. Unfortunately the tools of critical thinking are locked behind a pay-wall and actively discouraged.

On a side note The D***y M**l are not a reliable source. They have repeatedly lied and are propped up by media monopolies and oligarchs. I'm well aware that critical analysis on the validity of a source as a skill is a privileged one. Shit if I hadn't been taught how I'd be fucked. But I've gotta call it out when I see it. Random YouTube videos from right wing agitators are not unbiased news sources. They're propaganda pieces, using them as anything other than a source for the study of propaganda pieces is bad praxis.

Idk what the point of me writing this was but I'm just chiming in (y)

erdraug, Ellis, nou and 5 others like this.
  2. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    Tricky likes this.
  3. Jason Elbow

Jason Elbow Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    Dude...actually seeing all of the fuckery Trump has committed laid out like this...its maddening.. How did this bastard even win?!...

DomAug likes this.
  4. Jason Elbow

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
  5. nou

nou Well-Known Member

Electoral College + Low voter turnout. Not to mention politics in this country have kept it fractured despite the small gains that were made compared to the olden days.

6. Jason Elbow

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    Quite frankly, I'm done with politics.. of any kind.

7. Jason Elbow

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    Bruh, bruh, bruh... Have anyone seen the contents of this bill? My God man...

8. Sebo

PSN:
    Sebopants
    Considering who I was responding to was posting videos that were essentially non-sequiturs, it's a very apt response.

Many things:
    • Loss of labor power
    • NAFTA and generations of de-industrialization
    • White Anxiety
    • Conservatives hammering on the Culture War
    • Self imposed Conservative Aggrievement and culture of pretending they're victims (i.e. the outburst of the guy why this thread has been restarted)
    • Running against the other most hated politician who had 3 decades of right-wing hate built up against her (tbf, Clinton is trash, but the only critiques that makes sense come only from the left), resulting in low voter turnout (further impacted by the Democratic Primaries)
    • Anti-intellectualism and Conservative Evangelicals
    • The media giving Trump countless free ads
    • Lack of political education in the US
    • Trump, having no ideology, said things from many different positions, and sometimes saying that is correct by accident and people with selective hearing made their choice
    • etc.
    Uh, no. That's literally impossible. Politics is everywhere, and your boss is into politics, your landlord, the police, CEOs of multinational corporations, etc... they play politics and they're winning (for now). The last thing you should do is unplug from it and get engaged in local work. Do mutual aid, join a union, if a protest happens in your area don't join the side that supports the cops, etc.

Ellis and Tricky like this.
  9. Ellis

Ellis Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ellis_Cake
    That is not the situation in sweden no.
    It is not perfect, it is not anywhere, but that is an extremely exaggerated and weird piece which seems to be made just to use sweden as a bias-prop for something else unrelated.

To be more real, i've heard about 4 shootings, and 1 "bombing" during the course of 10 years; and any such thing makes us suprised and incredilous - that is how rare boom-boom-sticks and balls are here.

What is ongoing though, as is in too many countries atm, is "anti non-nationals"-sentiments and using immigrants as political props to try to fearmonger and get votes with the goal of affecting the domestic politics. So far it's not managed to break anything since most normal parties refuse to play with the nationalist-"party". (which they then use to whine about not being included and sob and hew and haw).

I am not particularly positive about society atm and have worries narrowminded-rage-quitters are going to worsen the world while real issues (treatment of minorities, climate change, health and prosperity) gets distracted from. But i have stubborn hope atleast.

Anyhow, those "can you believe what is going on in sweden, in SWEDEN?!" is as ridiculous as the idea of trump having a real education in sociology, economics or anything close to professional know-how in areas people voted him in to handle. ^^

- Now a smoke.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    Tricky and Sebo like this.
  10. Sebo

PSN:
    Sebopants
  11. Jason Elbow

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
  12. Sebo

PSN:
    Sebopants
    Eh, that take needs nuance.

Twitter is a platform where too many people waste their lives but caters to everyone. VR discord part... also requires nuance. Aside from the few that are openly transphobic, posting /pol/ memes, and using fascist lingo or playing defense of for this shit, a few principled people calling it out, and a large number of people whose indifference empowers the first group of people.

The people who stormed the capitol are Q-Anon cultists, III%ers, Proud Boys, Patriot Prayer, probably a whole bunch of White-Supremacist organizations, off duty cops (from DC and elsewhere) and a number of currently seated members of different state governments who are part of the Republican party. To say the least, this is the face of American Conservatism. And while some people in that camp may pretend to be against this, their ideology built the material conditions for this movement to grow and flourish.

I don't see how online spaces with diverse users and a very easy to identify movement that is just a reflection of the United State's long and horrendously racist history (and will never go away until we build the conditions to combat this virus) are comparable aside from an elementary "things I don't like" category.

Ellis and Blessy like this.
  13. Jason Elbow

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    Didn't you get banned from Virtua Discord too? Lol I was referring to the fringe group thing.

14. Sebo

PSN:
    Sebopants
    It had nothing to do with the "entirety of the Virtua Revival Discord," and for reasons given in the previous post.

Nuance and investigation. They're really helpful.

Blessy likes this.
  15. nou

nou Well-Known Member

Looking at other forums, looks like lolmemes aren't being posted as much, since the realization might be setting in on how dangerous this is and has been.

Sebo likes this.
  16. Jason Elbow

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    Yeah I saw the nuance of you getting bent outta shape over a typo. Bravo way to go Justice Warrior... lol

17. Sebo

PSN:
    Sebopants
    Cool. Coming from someone who lies about "trying to be better" and always acting in bad faith, that's a compliment. A title like that to go along with my real world work in the community whether if it's through volunteering to work for the local labor union, working a with a mutual aid group started by my friends delivering food and household goods to struggling parents and impoverished people, working for prison and police abolition, helping run security at the 4 BLM protests in 2020 and locating and isolating well known white supremacists in our community (yoooooooo, we got 'im), in addition to the free art/archery/language/swim lessons I offer to people in my community, working with kids from abusive homes, and writing up massive guides for a game and community that I don't want to be inundated by people being transphobic or posting literal nazi propaganda... so, uh, yeah, call me that as everything I do I do with the intent to uplift and build solidarity and political consciousness. I really hope you get offline and instead of devoting so much time trolling a gaming website and whining about how you cannot follow the rules after abusive behavior on Discord Servers and Twitter and feeling the need to feed that extremely toxic and unproductive ego of yours and actually do real shit for real people. You're better than this Jason. Use that justified anger for police violence and direct it to help people.

Maybe "social justice warrior" might mean something bad to you, but you still haven't defined what you even mean but rely on circular logic.

Considering you're only hearing it from their side you're free to believe it was just "typo," but of course ignore all the references to /pol/, pepe and gyroper memes, the posters in questions using rhetorical strategies as all Alt-Righters do, refusing to answer direct questions about it for over 2 days and finally coming up with "lol, it typo." I mean, it's not like an antisemitic group did anything notable recently... oh, wait.

Poopy was waiting for any excuse to boot me because doesn't like to be called out on his nonsense, inability to argue his points without circular logic, or that his server harbors people who post literal nazi memes.

I might be wasting my time responding to you, so I'll preempt with direct quotes from you:

Blessy and Ellis like this.
  18. Ellis

Ellis Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ellis_Cake
    https://youtu.be/bOZQZAX4deM

"
    Everyone is crying out for peace
    None is crying out for justice
    I said, "if the one is crying out for peace"
    I said, "none is crying out for justice"
    But there will be no peace
    'Till men get equal rights
    Equal rights and justice
    Equal rights
    Equal rights and justice
    Equal rights
    Equal rights and justice
    Equal rights
    Equal rights and justice
    Everybody want to go up to heaven
    I say, "hell, nobody want to die" (and visits the Jesus)
    Everybody want to go up to heaven
    I say, "hey, but none of them want to die"
    I don't know why"

Social Justice is an awesome thing to struggle for.
    I don't really get how some angry peeps got it to be a negative.

<3

19. Ellis

Ellis Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ellis_Cake
    "Could you believe what is going in in the nusa btw?
    in the NUSA?, could you believe it?.

I tell you, my swedish brethren and sisters,
    they storm their own capitol, which they do not defend
    from their own domestic terrorists!

Could you believe it?!

They shot people for protesting murders of of their own,
    their own people murdered,
    by knee and by gun - but stand back as one of the buildings
    that is supposed to be the very height of the democrachy of
    their Non-United States of America"

Wth?

20. Jason Elbow

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    You say this right after typing a 1000 page essay. Lol if only you had did this sooner. But hey! Good luck on your "crusade" or whatever you call yourself doing.