1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Poll: Near-useless techniques!

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Zero-chan, May 15, 2002.

1. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

yeah ff+PKG has a use, but I'm saying f,f+K+G does the same thing, but worse. So f,f+K+G doesn't have a use.

re: shun's flaming torpedo - I saw a nifty use for it today. Shun did K+G, P, and the P staggered the opponent. They were pretty far away, but f,f+P+K had just enough range to nail them.

2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Kage: b,f+K and f,b+K aren't winners. f,f+K+G isn't any more useful than f,f+PKG, even in combos, so no real reason to bother with it. Akira can probably TR --> dbpm kage after it connects. Never much reason to use u/b+K.

I use b,f+K quite a lot with good results so it's far from useless in my mind. The f,b+K still has it's uses too as a low attack sabaki. I was using it quite a bit last friday. The sad thing about f,b+K is that the opponent can still nail you with another low attack after they are sabaki'd, but they have to be fast because the attack is a special high. So, neither are useless IMO.

The f,f+P+K+G is useful against a wall or for RO (in TFT combo, or pushout). Anywhere else and it's suicidal. The f,f+K+G is alright as a mixup sometimes. Again, neither are useless. You can't say one is a better version of the other. One hits high, the other mid.

The ub+K in my mind isn't useless. I don't use it much, but I wouldn't label it as useless. However, if there's a move I'd say was useless it'd be the db+K. Don't know why it was neutered like that. Seems like AM2 don't want Kage to have any good low attacks whatsoever!

3. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

In a lot of "spur of the moment, thrive or die" ring out situations, it's better to use f,f+K+G than f,f+P+K+G (assuming opponent will block or get hit by it). The f,f+P+K+G will have you ringing yourself out in some situations where f,f+K+G will push the opponent enough to get out of the ring, but keep you in the ring (or at least landing after your opponent hits the ground).

-Chanchai

4. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

The f,f+P+K+G is useful against a wall or for RO (in TFT combo, or pushout). Anywhere else and it's suicidal. The f,f+K+G is alright as a mixup sometimes. Again, neither are useless. You can't say one is a better version of the other. One hits high, the other mid.

Sure I can. If you use either outside of a TFT ringout combo, f,f+PKG is the way to go (it's not really high, it'll hit crouching nondefenders at the start and end, and there's the little useful part about it being unblockable). .. no reason to use f,f+K+G unless the theory is "uh oh, the opponent is ducking at long range with a sliver of life! Well a sidekick might make more sense there, but the f,f+K+G has more range, so I'll use that"

re: u/b+K - yeah I rescind that one, it used to recover more crappily but now it's a mere -7, and I know for pai and lau the move often eats up low punches. So it's not completely worthless.

We should probably make that distinction between 'relative uselessness' and 'absolute uselessness' which crops up in every useful/useless moves thread.
    f,b+K and b,f+K probably don't deserve 'absolutely useless' titles.
    d/b+K almost does, all it needs to do is not knock down so that kage is reamable even if it connects. Then it would truly be a stupid move.

5. MrWhite

MrWhite Well-Known Member

Since when is f,f+P+K+G unblockable ?

As for useless moves, Kage still has the cake with u+P+K "cannonball" and ( surprised no one mentioned this ) QCF+K (Chargeable) Handspring kick ! Good lord that move stinks. It could be a "deer in the headlights" move at times because your opponent is horrified at how dumb you are for pulling the handspring kick out. Short of the g-cancelability of it, I cant think of any other move in the game that is as bad.

6. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Since when is f,f+P+K+G unblockable ?

Bleah, unblockable high, you know what I meant.
    It could pretty much be classified as a low attack, but it whiffs vs. crouchers during part of the animation so it's not quite a low attack.

re:qcf+K - I recently saw a kage do this after getting behind someone (in a clip). Not sure if I remember correctly... it was either after a backstagger or after f+P+G. The kage charged the kick, the opponent predictably turned around and guarded, and the kick staggered them. The kage did a TT sweep --> d/f+K+G combo to finish them off.

7. DevilPai

DevilPai Member

Re: AOI's Slaps

Sup Jeff, do you have any Pai vid's? If so, post em up so i can steal what cool shit is found already...

8. Oni-Kage

Oni-Kage Well-Known Member

Pai Vids

Well this is off topic but the best archive I've found so far is http://www.feixaq.com/vf4/ ... run the search engine here on VFDC and you'll find more sites as well. Get a download assistant though, cuz feixaq has a max d/l limit which is usually always full. Good stuff tho.

9. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

if you're at the edge of the ring and hoping/gambling that the opponent won't dodge, then f,f+K+G is much, much safer and effective to use to try and push the opponent out of the ring than f,f+P+K+G.

either way, like myke said, there's a big difference between the two, and just the mid/high difference validates that point enough. you can't call them the same and/or one better and the other pointless, that's just wrong.

10. Deniz

Deniz Well-Known Member

Don't know about earlier versions, but in Version C, the f,f+P+K+G hits low, not high.