1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

POPY tournament!

Discussion in 'VF.TV' started by CreeD, Jul 21, 2003.

1. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

This was a fairly recent tournament with some big players like chibita, hereru, arashi, ohsu, tsuchikumo, and others. It's some great VF playing and is very entertaining.

I'll be spitting out a movie from it each day. Each movie has two matches, and there are 11 movies in all (it seemed a little short, that's my only regret).

Movie 1:

<font color="red">Download >>> </font>POPY_1_aoi_aoi_akira_sarah.avi

Two female aoi players (this tournament had a ton of em) and an very good akira vs. sarah match from someone I don't recognize. The sarah is K2.

2. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

Here's what I gather from watching the clip...

The first Aoi is named "Yukino". She is on Chibita's team (Think Punk). I can't read the kanji on the other name clearly.

The Akira in the second match is none other than Western Lariat. He pulls off a very nice comeback!

3. EmpNovA

EmpNovA Well-Known Member

The player faces cover up the win ratios....ugh!

But other than that, the Akira match was cool, with not only a nice and strong comeback, but a damn fast one at that.

PS: You think that the Think Punk Aoi player could have won if she tried a light down attack?

nvm the first sentence (thanks Creed /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif), but I just skipped the footage until the start of the match....lol oops!

4. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Thanks for the names... someday I'll recognize all the famous ones.
    Oh, I meant to put in a props section /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks to:

<font color="gray">CODENAME:CHIA CHINCHILLA</font>
    for the footage!

<font color="pink">Shadowdean</font>: for the use of his equipment (huhuhuh) and patience in trying to sort out the technical details.

<font color="green">Replicant</font>: for hooking me up with someone who was able to solve my interlacing issue.

<font color="white">Al'Thor</font>: for the capture card that made the above possible.

And especially <font color="red">POPY</font> /versus/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Win percentage is displayed at the character select screen if it's available.

If you mean light down attack after the wall hit P+G throw, no, it would have whiffed right in front of the other aoi as she was standing up in place. Wall hits where you're sideways and barely graze the wall after throws don't stun any longer than the usual throw knockdown, and in fact you can get up from them pretty quickly. It's not the big happy facedown flop you get from a direct hit.
    Sometimes it actually is a disadvantage to have the wall hit like that... things become TR-able that weren't before, guaranteed down attacks are ruined, etc.

6. LM_Akira

LM_Akira Well-Known Member

Wow you're right about that come back being good! /versus/images/graemlins/shocked.gifIn fact that must be a text book way of how to come back and win after taking such a beating early on!Thanks for the vids creed hope theres more to follow soon.

7. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Doh...started to download the videos, and then remembered we capped them at my house.
    Fuck these school computers.

8. RagingSilver

RagingSilver Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Shadowdean said:

Doh...started to download the videos, and then remembered we capped them at my house.
    Fuck these school computers.

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL!

9. EmpNovA

EmpNovA Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    CreeD said:
    I'll be spitting out a movie from it each day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh.....are we gonna get a double update then? /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

10. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Doh, I forgot to post this -

I got a comment on the quality of the video being too low. Does anyone else agree? If the answer is yes, I'll recapture at higher resolution and encode for larger filesizes. Currently it's about 10-12 megs per match, I can get much higher quality at 18-20. If this is what everyone wants, I'll get going. If nobody else cares, I'll post a double or triple update :p

11. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Vote #1:

Triple update please. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

I would prefer higher quality clips.

13. BMF

BMF Well-Known Member

I see all you guys just want to screw over the guy with the P2 266...I thought the clip was fine, looked nice and actually played perfectly on my comp, which is rare these days. Anyways, majority rules...

14. sanjuroAKIRA

sanjuroAKIRA Well-Known Member

I thought the vids were purty enough. Itchin' to see more too. Thanks either way CreeD!

15. Faded

Faded Well-Known Member

Clips looked perfectly fine to me.

Can't wait for more.

16. HIGHplanzDrifter

HIGHplanzDrifter Well-Known Member

higher res would be nice

17. HIGHplanzDrifter

HIGHplanzDrifter Well-Known Member

looked good to me

18. hikarutilmitt

hikarutilmitt Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    HIGHplanzDrifter said:

higher res would be nice

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    HIGHplanzDrifter said:

looked good to me

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?

Anyway, it does its job well, but better quality would be preferred.

Is the source material at a lower framerate or what? Because the matches looked like they were moving at about half speed or less (meaning they were actualyl moving "faster") from normal.

19. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Ok, the ayes have it. More people seem to want the lower quality clips. I might do them up at higher res later, just cuz that's my nature.
    For now, enjoy the triple update!

<font color="red">Download >></font> http://media.virtuafighter.com/media/POPY/POPY_2_shun_kage_aoi_aoi.avi

Shun does some cute combos, and this might be the first time I see KKP used properly, as a fast counter to a whiffed attack overhead. The kage's got some style. The aoi vs aoi match looks to me like all aoi vs aoi matches do /versus/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

<font color="red">Download >></font> http://media.virtuafighter.com/media/POPY/POPY_3_akira_sarah_pai_akira.avi

The akira vs sarah match is hot... the sarah used a very damaging combo I hadn't seen before: db+K+G,K --> b+K --> PPK. The akira tries some sorta goofy stylish combos too and has good yomi when it comes to landing MC yohos and shrms. There's a beautiful trick at the end of round 3 that nets akira a win. The next match is pair of females. It's so-so.

<font color="red">Download >></font> http://media.virtuafighter.com/media/POPY/POPY_4_ZAP_jeffry_wolf_kage_kage.avi

The wolf vs jeff match is highly entertaining. Nice finish by zap. He uses the trademarked omaha special trick to end round 2. Wolf tries to get away with murder and fails, yaaay! /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    The next match is kage vs kage, and is just machi-tastic. One of them must be minami kage, cuz he low punches about 200 times.

20. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

First video:
    Itabashi Zangief vs. Edo Lau and Tetsu vs. Nuki

Second video:
    Nagato vs. Muscles Sarah (no luck for him yet) and my good friend Bearcrusher vs. Tamaru. Bearcrusher is Kurita's girlfriend, may I add.

The two Kages in clip 3 are Minami (Sir Low-Punch-A-Lot) and Skeleton. That match is certainly... interesting, I must say. XP