1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

post edit

Discussion in 'Site News, Questions and Feedback' started by GLC, Apr 30, 2002.

1. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Is it possible to increase the time limit within which a post is editable? I read it's 5 hours, wouldn't it be better to switch to eg. 12 hours?

2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Yes, it's possible. But why would a 12 hour window be better?

The primary use of Edit, IMO, is to correct or append your post shortly after having posted it. If the edit window is too large, chances are most people will have read the original post, and not the edited one, especially in threaded view. And of course, we don't want a repeat of chucky posting one thing, then re-editing to read the opposite and denying he ever posted the original message.

If anything, I'd be making a case for decreasing time allowed for edit.

But again, if you, or others, can convince me that it'd be better to have a larger window for edit, then I may change my mind.

3. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

What if someone posts something, and goes to sleep? Or work? I come back after, let's say, 8 hours... during which I remembered about an error, slapped my forehead but I'm not going to edit posts on my lunch break /versus/images/icons/smile.gif I come back home and I'm unable to edit the post. Usually that's not a big thing at all but sometimes a mistake is a cause of other users bashing the original poster. And we have a flame war. If it was some serious mistake in an "important" post, then sure, I can ask you to edit the post for me. But it'd be much better to be able to correct it myself.

Another thing is posting guides. There are a couple of options; of course, one can always make another update (read: new post) in a thread, but someone might prefer to edit the post itself and then update the 'history' section/chapter.

Also, a good idea might be making the "edited by X on Y" message always appear on edited posts, not only when used ticks the appropriate option. This way others will know if the post was changed at all. I don't know if it's possible but a nice way of stating this would be " *edited* " message appear within the post's topic.

Anyway, I'll wait for other users' feedback on this.

4. Bu_Jessoom

Bu_Jessoom Well-Known Member

A good way for me is to always check the preview of the message to see if everything is ok, then post it. It will take you to the same thread with your message added, so you can read it again and tell if you need to do any corrections. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

I didn't know there was a time limit for editing though....

5. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

GLC's been here much longer ...so I am DAMN sure he knows of the preview feature.

but yes, the issue is the time limit...

6. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

eh, a second post on the heels of the 'incorrect' one won't kill anyone. One more click, oh well.

If someone gets flamed for a mistake and then edits the post 20 hours later, it looks like they're changing it based on the fact that other people pointed out an error they were unaware of... it doesn't look like they're doing it because they just remembered the correction and couldn't get to a PC right away.

Nobody will believe them if they said "oop, I knew that was wrong, really I did. I just hadn't gotten around to fixing it yet" /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

Since myke's the first person I've ever heard call for shortening it and GLC's the first to ever ask for lengthening it, it's probably fine right where it is.

7. Bu_Jessoom

Bu_Jessoom Well-Known Member

I didn't say that GLC doesn't know of the preview feature. I just said that that's the way I do it before posting, stressing my opinion that I should make sure the post is ready before submitting to minimize errors. My second statement also supports this, by saying that we should read the post again after submitting to make sure it's right, especially that the browser will be directed to the same thread after posting.

So I just replied because more feedback was needed /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

8. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Except not everyone has all the time in the world to post on messageboards.

9. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    If 5 hours isn't long enough to compose a single post, then you should probably compose it offline in an external editor and paste it in when you're ready.

10. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

If 5 hours isn't long enough to compose a single post, then you should probably compose it offline in an external editor and paste it in when you're ready.

Actually, I sometimes do. Nevermind about the whole idea.