1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

***Potential Virus Alert***

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by CreeD, Nov 5, 2001.

1. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Probably an overreaction, but I caught a virus and it's possible others may have gotten it from my FTP server. So this is the heads up.
    The infected files were Dreamer.exe and ylwa.exe ... If you don't recognize the names but want to be safe, I'd recommend doing a search for those. If you have either on your PC, download the trial version of Norton Antivirus (not McAfee please... Norton's better) and running it. It's a tedious process but not as tedious as a virus can make your life.

Dreamer.exe is a dreamcast emulator... in this case I downloaded it from winmx. I dunno what ylwa is but it creates a log in c:\windows\applogs ... it may be a virus or it may be nothing. If anyone else knows what it is or finds it, please let me know.

.... the virus is backdoor.subseven which (as the name implies) is a backdoor virus.
    It allow someone to fool with your computer - download/upload/create/delete files, change settings, get screenshots of your desktop, even pop open your CD tray. The symptoms I had that PROBABLY were related to this virus: Things run slowly. Applications that I try to run timeout. Some directories that I try to open also time out (i.e. you have to ctrl-alt-delete). Explorer.exe randomly goes away (this is what runs your taskbar and start menu and basic desktop functions).

Re: Norton Antivirus - you will need to quarantine these files, it can't repair them. Being as either of them could be the virus itself, repairing is not what you want anwyay.

Okay, that's it.
    I apologize if my carelessness has made anyone else's life a hassle.

2. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

.... the virus is backdoor.subseven which (as the name implies) is a backdoor virus.
    It allow someone to fool with your computer - download/upload/create/delete files, change settings, get screenshots of your desktop, even pop open your CD tray. The symptoms I had that PROBABLY were related to this virus: Things run slowly. Applications that I try to run timeout. Some directories that I try to open also time out (i.e. you have to ctrl-alt-delete). Explorer.exe randomly goes away (this is what runs your taskbar and start menu and basic desktop functions).

<hr></blockquote>

Ack, Sub7 is a pretty deadly trojan... but anyway, I don't dl .exe's from people, in any case. Thanks for the warning, though!

3. Buzzard2

Buzzard2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, sub7 is pretty bad... I used to fool around with the program that does it until I got infected by it (stupid me, I created the thing and saved it to my own HD @_@)

4. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Well at least I feel better. I wonder what the dude who infected methought about all my private crap :/
    I should have waited before killing the virus to see if I could trace his IP.
    Oh well.