1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Predictions for the world VF4 tourney

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by mook, Mar 23, 2002.

1. mook

mook New Member

I think Shinz will handily win in Japan

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I think you're wrong.
    Heh, maybe we should start a poll.
    <FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://virtuafighter.com/versuscity/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1016944795CreeD">

will shinz win in japan?
    <INPUT TYPE=RADIO NAME=option VALUE="1">yes
    <INPUT TYPE=RADIO NAME=option VALUE="2">no

<INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

3. MrWhite

MrWhite Well-Known Member

I think the weakest most efeminate guy there will take it all before being picked up by a gust of wind and never to be seen again.

Or Summers if he gets to pull off that "Toe unplug" trick on them suckas.

4. NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo Active Member

when will the tournament be held?

5. lovelogic

lovelogic New Member

Japanese players will be no match for shinz.
    Some people who have no eye for excellent games speak well of japanese dioh VF4 clips.
    They showed good skills but they have serious weakness.
    They are all infighters and can not make use of space.
    That's why they can not beat shinz or other excellent Korean players. Until they can measure the reach of attack or distance between players, they will not show as strong skills as they did in Dioh.
    In video clips they look good but in reality they are poor.
    One good news for japanese players is that japanese stick is so different from Korean one. It will take time for Korean players to adjust to it.

6. danny13

danny13 Well-Known Member

Whoa. That's a really really big one.

7. Tetra

Tetra Well-Known Member

if i get a choice i will want shinz to win cos he is damn cool in the way he plays at least in the videos /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

8. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Gosh, are you japanese? american? armenian?
    french?

I bet you're . . .korean! Surprise!
    /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

If the japanese get whupped by shinz's 'area control' (euphemism for multiple backwards crouchdash machi?) it may be because the japanese players (like kyasao and chibita) are determined to play with aggression and style.

I don't agree with your assessment of space control. The japanese are excellent at close up fighting and excellent at punishing predictable backdashes/backwards crouch dashes.

I also question how much experience shinz has vs. many different styles of opponent. Big arcades like Daioh must see 2-10 times as many players as their korean counterparts...

What is different with the korean stick, by the way?

9. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

I only played at one place in Korea. The stick was just that... a stick. NO knob. (Damn this sounds perverted). The buttons are really far apart.

As for Japanese fighting style -- remember.... you're watching videos of about .005% of the Japanese VF fighting population. There are plenty of people here with patience.

10. jackybrothas

jackybrothas Well-Known Member

that's exactly what i thought.... until i actually played against a japanese player.... i thought i could take him down machi style yet he "knew" how to counter and get the best of any situation (dodge, crouch dash, throw escaping etc) . so i got beaten bad. in the videos they seem to show a lot of defense probably because they try hard not to set themselves up for certain attacks. but hey that's just my opinion....

11. GaijinPunch

Again, everyone's got their own styles. Problem is, I play against the same people quite a bit. You get used to people, and can smack them anytime, while other players w/ the same characters can nail you. I have noticed that there's very little variation between high level Lau's & Jacky's, mainly b/c they require such little skill, and are easy to one-pattern the hell out of your opponent.

12. Camus

Camus Member

Oh... I frown at your expression - "I think you're wrong."
    How about changing it as "I don't think so."?
    Mook is wrong? No, I don't think so.
    Are we now talking about an established fact? Not, isn't it?
    I am sorry if I make you discomforted...
    This is just my suggestion. Let's use more gentle expression.

It's a exciting prediction. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif
    "Will Shinz win in Japan?"
    Let's discuss~ Let's be a gambler. I like these things.

13. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Actually, I have to disagree, especially with Jacky. I saw Jacky being played quite differently. Some Jacky players are very straightforward: punches, LPs, elbows, BK, and throws. Some Jacky players love the SS and almost abuse it. Other Jacky players make his crouch dash game their central offense. Yet I have seen high-dan players that like to use Jacky's less-used moves...his crescents, lightning kicks, b+P, etc.

Lau is perhaps a little more uniform, but after studying Chibita's Lau, none of the other Laus I observed seemed quite as impressive.

14. Camus

Camus Member

I am very interested in this.
    I have played with Shinz several times.
    He is very strong.
    I just can't win him. I win 1 time but 10 times lose.
    I know some high-level VF players as IGELAU in Korea.
    IGELAU is very strong, too.
    I also have played with IGELAU and think It's very hard to win him.
    But Shinz has something more, I cannot explain.
    He is even strong at in-fighting and out-fighting.
    I think I like in-fighting more than out-fighting. Because I am an AKIRA.
    He drives his opponent into a difficult situation naturally with his Amazing Power.

I saw many video clips from Daioh.
    There are many good players in Japan. I know.
    Chibita, Kyasao.... I have seen their playing in video clips.
    And I admire them. They look like VERY strong...
    Many exciting play, many variations... I really hope to go Japan and play with them.

I don't think Shinz will win in Japan so easily.
    But I felt his monstrous strength by my BODY. I cheer Shinz.
    I believe Shinz will win at last.
    I am excited expectation of the final result.

Maybe the stick problem is no problem.
    He used a similar stick of Japanese well when VF3.
    It may requires some time to he adapt himself to Japanese stick again. But, I think that's no problem to him.

15. takira

takira Well-Known Member

hi all
    when is this world tournament?! & where?
    you guys seem to talk about it coming soon !
    thank you!

16. GaijinPunch

Chibita doesn't have a Lau. :)

17. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

joking, yes? <font color=blue>ice-9</font color=blue> saw chibita play lau with his own eyes GP.

18. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Not only that, I played against his Lau personally...several times. And lost...several times. Ahem, sniff.

19. J_Chuang

J_Chuang Well-Known Member

Well, i guess he just got bored with Lau ^^;

These are from Famitsu (3/15) for those who care:

*C-Chap Sub Char Data*
    [Kyasao]
    Akira 1112W373L 74% 10thDan
    Lau 1148W229L 83% Little Baoh
    Shun 1000W219L 82% 10thDan
    Jeffrey 2560W565L 81% Emperor
    Jacky 325W98L 76% 8thDan
    Lion 839W312L 72% 10thDan
    Wolf 68W12L 85% 2ndDan

[Chibita]
    Kage 800W131L 85% Emperor
    Vanessa 689W157L 81% Fist King

[AniAki][Shu][BunBun]
    check this website....it should be easy enough to read i guess
    http://www.famitsu.com/game/column/mkII_vir/2002/03/15/218,1016170628,4132,0,0.html

20. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

Vanessa 689W157L 81% Fist King I would really enjoy mpegs of <font color=green>chibita</font color=green> playing Vanessa( hint)(*^)! anything 72% or higher is "statistically significant" according to Arthur A. Merrill ( author), whom I trust. <font color=blue>Kyasao</font color=blue>'s worst stat is with Lion and the stats prove their skill in winning is not acidental or coincidental. <font color=red>Shinz</font color=red>'s remarkable win record is also proof of superior skills. VF4 is the thinking man's fighter. Question: the number in the lower right hand corner of screen is that the win streak stat?