1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Preparing for VF4

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by adamYUKI, Mar 8, 2001.

1. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    Well seeing as VF4 is around the corner and its march, I thought I would begin providing resources for building the box.

Rich or who everelse please contribute to this since you guys have built controllers setups :)

This is for PS2 and for the Arcade

I'm going to be using Happ Controls

I think its www.happcontrols.com

Ultimate fighter stick (about $15 each)
    and push buttons horizontal mount (about $1.50 per button)

I'm mounting the sticks on Plexiglass (Constructing a plexiglass box, since most places that sell plexiglass will cut it for you in the dimension that you want, so you dont have too) :) I'm using the approximate size of a DC Arcade stick as box dimensions, although presumable it will end up being a bit thicker.

Im also going to get some ruber tubing to stick to the edges of the stick. Once you assemble the plexiglass together you're going to have sharp edges, putting some sort of rubber material around the stick will prevent the sharp edges :)
    You need to get a Radio Shack flip switch if you want to use this stick with multiple systems or (Arcade/PS2 setup)

You need to get a Mad Catz controller (you need a PS2 controllers PCB, the circuit board inside the conroller) (about $20)

You also need to get a solder gun and some soldering material.

From there its just mounting and soldering the right connectors together, all in all maybe like an hour job.

I'll post some pics when im done with this project.

I'm thinking of mounting the N2 board in an Antec SX1030 Black case (this is a server case with a good source of power) and costs about $100-120, great for computers too. :)

www.antec.com

CrewNYC

<font color=red>ORA! ORA! ORA!</font color=red>

<font color=white>adam</font color=white><font color=red>YUKI</font color=red>

2. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

yo andy, so its been decided? (getting vf4
    machine/board). let me know so i could pitch in
    some cash (if am working that is, lol).

btw, i wouldnt make it so complex by adding ps2
    compability, just make it for the N2.

<font color=red>PICCOLO</font color=red>

[​IMG]
    fuck spelling!

3. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

As far as buttons go - get the Competition buttons. And the Ultimate is 'okay' but I think you'd prefer the competition sticks - unless you're going for the optical 'Perfect 360' kit which are excellent.

As far as stick dimensions go...make sure it's deeper than the DC stick. Kbcat's design of a converted DC stick rules. It's a DC stick with Competition buttons and an optical stick built in. In order for the stick to have enough clearance, you need to have the bottom plate of the DC stick mounted an extra 1 inch. The competition stick just makes it with the extra room. He did this by screwing the bottom plate back on with 1 inch spacers for the 6 screws. Beautiful job and the sticks are amazing. So, Andy, make sure the clearance is there for the stick boxes.

An hour huh? Well, just to let you know - it's going to be really really tricky to make the PS2 sticks. Soldering the pcb of the PSX/PS2 controller is a massive pain in the ass because you've got to solder some of your connections to the actual pins of the controller chip. We're talking tiny here and not easy. It may take you a little while more - and that's a good thing because you don't want to mess that up. You also have to be careful because when soldering to the pins, it's possible to conduct too much heat to the chip and then it can go kablooie. So just be careful and make sure you've got a good fine point soldering iron.

Email myself or Kbcat for detailed questions - especially about the 'switch' to PS2/N2 thing....Kbcat's done this before for a Saturn/PSX setup...he's the man when it comes to building anything - in fact, I think stick building is a Toronto crew sorta thing...with the exception of Rich eloborate carboard boxies. ;)

cheers,

<font color=white> Llanfair the prized <font color=green>cabbage</font color=green></font color=white>