1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Price of a VF4 game

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Guest, Sep 2, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Almost 5 years ago we were paying about .50 (if you were lucky) for a game of VF3 at its cheapest. Do you think 5 years later .75 would be an acceptable starting price for a game of VF4?

CrewNYC

2. jackybrothas

jackybrothas Well-Known Member

$0.50 should be the price. well thats how it was for the test version at my arcade.

3. dynamic-league

dynamic-league Well-Known Member

Keep it cheap so that people can practice and play more games.

"Rise to the challenge"

4. Drunken_Master

Drunken_Master Well-Known Member

it was one pound at my arcade!!! and i only played it a few times. I got to eat damn it the price of VF might kill off any new gamers that want to get into it!! if you gave 5 games for a pound you would get a lot of people playing but ythe greed of the arcade drives away punters from VF and the arcade

'Strong body but a weak mind' Sam Seed from Drunken Masters

5. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

christ no. i mean, what the fuck. how much of an oblivious rich cunt does someone have to be to just say "well it's perfectly fine and totally acceptable that it's P + in price!"? jesus..

--
    "What we got here is a failure to communicate..."

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Huh? I dont get your reply one bit. I was asking if people thought .75 was a resonable price to play VF4. VF4 is still nearly twice the price of a TK4 machine.

.50 seems to be the defacto standard for fighting games. Since VF4 costs so much more should VF4 be the first game to refelct inflation? I actually think games will start to cost .75 each.

There are three simple rules for this

1) There are fewer and fewer gamers who play games in arcades
    2) The costs of the machines will continue to increase (for machines based on new hardware)
    3) The simple rule of inflation

Think of it as soda. a few years back a can of coke costs .75 at most vending machines. I'm sure someone asked, do you think 1.00 is a reasonable price to pay for a can of coke?

Its like potato chips, they used to cost .25 a bag, nowadays they cost .50 a bag, 100% increase in price.

A slice of pizza used to cost a buck, now its 1.50 to $2.00 a slice at most places.

CrewNYC

7. Mr. Bungle

you're a goddamn fool, andy. you really are.

--

8. Kiuju

Kiuju Well-Known Member

PSN:
    JOHNNYDANGE12
    Well maybe they can recycle the cabinet. That knocks down the price considerably. The arcade my brother works at do that alot to save money. But, I guess i can see paying 75 cents to play vf4 for a while. I mean I dont' want to spend my whole paycheck learning how to play like I did in the previous. Over here places most likely to carry it our gameworks or powerhouse huge conglomerate mofos that can afford the machine. Yes they will be charging more than a dollar to play. Now that is bad and that is what really shot Vf3 in the foot. Pricing was waaaay to high. I hope Sega took notice and made some sort of attempt to make the game affordable by vendors.
    I mean damn I don't want to pay more 50 cents to play but, I know its not giong to happen. But, to answer your question I can accept 75 cents.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Why dont you prove your point rather than simply call someone a fool. Your arguments on arcade operators years ago were pathetic. An arcade is a business like any other, somsone charging $1.00 for a game of VF3 is not just the arcade operators greed, the cost to maintain the arcade and intangible costs like rent and insurance.

I'm asking a question, backing it up, and explaining my opinion moron.

CrewNYC

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Now thats the kind of answer that I expected. :)

CrewNYC

11. Mr. Bungle

like i give a shit what you think of me, you fucking retarded cunt.

each and every post of yours sets new limits in stupidity, all (i'm assuming here) without the help of narcotics, which is a testament to the quality of (or lack of) the maggot-infested festering horse-shit that fills the space between your ears. you're the only person that would actually come onto this board and say "you know, they should charge more, because just because". you actually seem to HOPE they will charge more.

not that it really matter for you, fucking spoiled arrogant shit who offers thousands of dollars on a joke of a wager....

you don't make arguments. you put forth moronic jabbering and mindless spew, and then you hope people will agree with you, because that seems to be the only thing that validates your mindless, pathetic existence. you make huge, unbelievably offensive generalizations and have the fucking gall to speak for others. to quote someone on you: "your head is so far up your ass all you can see is yourself"

like most of the mindless shit you type out, you don't know anything about the arcade industry, even after repeated attempts by me to explain some of it. i've already tried, i'm not going to bother again. if you don't want to understand or believe me, suit your-fucking-self, you jackass motherfuckering retard. i don't give a shit.

--

12. Guest

Guest Guest

But should you accept .75? Seriously, there is a dinky little arcade where I live. They buy their machines as soon as they come out (we have a TK4 right now) on the trade mag. They charge .50 on all new games and they make their money back _huge_ in the first couple of months in operation solely through versus play. The low cost per game encourages versus play. The "discount" on unit purchases expecting the return on volume. And you know what? They get it. Every time. When we got VF2 it was on free play for the first two days to get peoples attention. After 6 months the game went down to .25 versus, .50 for CPU play.

I think you guys are totally brainwashed into high prices. It really doesn't have to be that way. High prices kill competition which kills the games profitability.

R-Nut

13. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

i swear to god, the next time you guys meet in real life, you people HAVE to fucking fight for real!!!
    i mean, really, what kinda pussy will take that verval attack (andy's and rich's) and then pretend nothing happen when u guys meet.

i dont get it...

[​IMG]

<font color=red>nAndato</font color=red>

14. Guest

Guest Guest

When did I ever make it sound like I wanted peopl to pay more money for VF4? I wanted to know how much people though was reasonable for a new game....hello....are you reading with your eyes closed?

CrewNYC

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Well all in all, its our opinions on a video game.....a video game...so its nothing to get too upset over...all you end up doing is trying to win at the game anyway...

CrewNYC

16. Kiuju

Kiuju Well-Known Member

PSN:
    JOHNNYDANGE12
    Thats true. An arcade in temecula had tekken 4 for a weekend they made alot of money. They practically paid for the machine. But, with vf being less popular its hard to see anything good when it comes down to pricing. But, your comments and experiences do make alot of sense though.
    But, at the time of Vf2 release there was no real competition. I remember tekken 1 but, the game was trash. So like I said no real competition so the game was bound to be popular. Which it was even in my area where i played the game(ah the good ol days).

I'll wait and see. But, i'll be willing to pay no more than 75 cents the way the scene is over here.

Kiuju

17. E-Dog

E-Dog Member

Hell Yeah Sal!!! Pass the Popcorn!!! You, me and Adam sitting front row for the fight of the century!! Andy and his tall skinny Wushu style vs. Rich and his SPECtacular Boston Bruiser style!! Too funny!

18. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Why accept 75 cents? Why accept 50? Why accept 25? Where do you draw the line. What it comes down to is a judgement call that the arcade operator will have to make. Sure, we think half the time the call is a piece of shit, but hey, that's life.

And whether or not VF4 will get a lot of versus play here in the West is a question that remains unanswered...

19. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I have said before that I would pay 75c for VF4. With that out there, I would NOT pay it gladly and without resentment. Inflation and whatnot are all real, but the arcade industry just isn't that old. The arcades I have been to recently all, without exception, charge 50 cents a go or less on normal, upright games of any type. Not a single game that isn't in some special cabinet goes for more than that. Only games with huge sitdown apparatus and multilinked PC's and platforms and rollbars and jetskis and all that crap charge more. A cabinet you stand at with nothing but a monitor and buttons is 50 cents, even in mall arcades where they like to rape you.

So with that in mind, why the hell would they or SHOULD they charge more for a standard VF3 cabinet? The average nimrod walking by the machine DOESN'T know that it costs 1000 bucks more than the tekken next to it, so what's going to make him put in 50% more money into VF3? Even if he DID know it costs more for the hardware, what would make him pay more when everything else in the arcade is cheaper?

/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>~~~ Don't make me rape you with a sharp stick ~~~/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>

20. Kiuju

Kiuju Well-Known Member

PSN:
    JOHNNYDANGE12
    <blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

So with that in mind, why the hell would they or SHOULD they charge more for a standard VF3 cabinet? The average nimrod walking by the machine DOESN'T know that it costs 1000 bucks more than the tekken next to it, so what's going to make him put in 50% more money into VF3? Even if he DID know it costs more for the hardware, what would make him pay more when everything else in the arcade is cheaper?

<hr></blockquote>

Fuck him. Hes a nimrod.

kiuju