1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Pride in America

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Akebono, Apr 16, 2002.

1. imf

imf Well-Known Member

That's the idea.

2. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Why would I ever wear a T-Shirt with Blonde One's face on it? Pray tell /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

3. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I feel that there is the same spirit and emotion in VF for those that are truly serious about the game that there is in the olympics. And I think that is just great.

You're missing my point anyway.
    To redo my point in a more condensed way, if you were in the olympics, would you be proud and want to take the gold because you love the USA and want to bring love and respect to the USA, or to florida?

Or would you be proud because, holy christ, if you get the gold medal, you've just proven in front of millions of people on television that you PERSONALLY are the BEST in the WORLD at something?

When looking at The Best Player in the World... at ANYthing, It's all about the individual, not the nationality or team. Individuals are great, countries are not. If the US takes first in speed skating by 1/100th of a second, and japan is second, and norway is third by 1/10th of a second, can America REAAAALLLY say it's the world's best country for speed skating?

If shinz lives in japan the rest of his life and becomes number 1, and he has a 1% higher win rate than the rest of the japanese, and the other members of the top ten or top twenty are all japanese, can you REALLY say it's important and significant that shinz is korean?

4. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

You don't wear it, but if you're ever short of TP, or you have a new puppy who isn't housebroken, or you need to do some heavy-duty cleaning, or your dartboard's looking kinda bland.....

5. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

If the olympics and winning the gold is all about the individual why in god's holy name would there be such an emphasis on what countries everyone is from. I'm getting bored. I've got shit to do. later.

Creed no one can sit at home and become the best by themselves, you need competition. Jedi was trying to rally some guys to get pumped. If you were a salesman you'd know what the hell I'm talking about. You have to pump your guys up to get them to perform. Like a team. He's just excited and you went and stomped on his candle, fuck you. later.

6. Akebono

Akebono Well-Known Member

I think my point was a little missed, and i apologize for that because it is my fault for not expressing myself properly. My intentions were not to start a nationality war in VF, hell i dont care if your blue green with horns and you speak bachi, as long as you bring you sabki game and you stick ill play you. My point was this,

Look at the boards, whats the big thing now, Shinz going to japan to play the top japanese players. I know shinz is the best in the world, and its sort of like michael jordan playing one on one with larry bird, but my thing is why dont we get all excitied when Segaduck, probably one of the top players in the us, or Adamyuki another top american player, comes to a tournament in toronto, why dont we have hundreds of vids about there fights, why dont we study the moves they do, they fights they have. Chibita, bum bum maru, Shinz, they are all great and we should be lucky with our media today we can see there fights, but I would much rather spend my time talking about good us players who i may have the chance to play, and I think everyone else should too.

Thanks

7. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

ok, point taken. We don't get excited about segaduck coming to play the best in canada... and it'd be nice if we did, and if there were clips.

But then again, I can't honestly say that I know if the best in canada can hang with shinz and crew in japan. Japan's best vs. Korea's best is an exciting matchup, but I dunno about America's best vs. Canada's best. There are a few clips of US playing, but they don't seem as neat as the clips coming out of daioh and pyrexia somehow. My faves so far are the bay area's.

8. Akebono

Man, Saying that we cant produce vids as cool as those coming out of the east is just saying we arent good. Man this really goes beyond national pride and more into self pride. If you feel that we can make vids as cool as them, then you basically say we can never be as good as them. I know for a fact that american players can be just as good if not better than anyone in the east and vice versa. But again this is not an attack on japan this a attack on the us. We us players need to start making vids of our stuff for ourselves. I bet you anything daioh dosent make vids for the rest of th world. They make it so that the look area people can see the tournaments they have. Thats where it starts. I just wanna know this, Why is it that when a really good korean player goes to japan to play really good japanese players we go crazy and post left and right about it. But when bay area players(some of the best in america) have a tourney, theres probably half as many posts. We should be putting more backing and time and effort in our home scene. Cause face it we might never face the japanese best. But there a good chance that i could be in new york and meet up with Adamyuki and play him and learn some stuff.

I guess in the end what im trying to say, is this

We need to be more excited about US Vf players than we are about Japanese VF players. and please read between the lines, this is not a nationality attack thing.

9. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

laff, I'm glad I'm not a salesman.
    If the olympics and winning the gold is all about the individual why in god's holy name would there be such an emphasis on what countries everyone is from. I'm getting bored. I've got shit to do. later.

Because it's a convenient way to arrange a WORLD competition. They gotta have each country figure out who's best before they send them to the olympics, and from there it's logical to keep them divided up by country while they compete. Nobody's gonna say "Well ok, all you people from different countries.. form up whatever little teams you want with people you like, and we'll work it out from there."

...If it were all about countries though, why would they keep track of the times people post when they cross the finish line in races, rather than just keeping track of which country came in first? Why would they mention how close someone is to beating a world record? Why do record books list the person's name before their times or country?
    People watch the olympics mainly to see individuals do well. When I'm sitting there watching women's speed skating, I say "GO BONNIE BLAIR!" I don't say "GO USA!", and I don't give a crap which other americans entered the women's speed skating event (if they don't stand a chance).

ANYWAY
    Yeah I saw jedi's point, but I didn't like the path he was taking, that's all. It's just an opinion, don't take it all personally. The poor guy's candle is fine, judging by his last post.

I was also joking about the Tshirt thing, really.

10. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Man, Saying that we cant produce vids as cool as those coming out of the east is just saying we arent good.

AS good, you left out the AS.

If you feel that we can make vids as cool as them, then you basically say we can never be as good as them. I know for a fact that american players can be just as good if not better than anyone in the east and vice versa

Knowing for a fact implies you at least have some experience with playing the japanese or koreans, right? Or are you saying "I know for a fact americans are born with normal reflexes and hand-eye coordination."?
    Yes, that's true, but unfortunately it takes more than natural ability to win at VF. Americans lack the other ingredients: half of them lack competition and damn near all of them lack the work ethic.
    -------------

Anyway, re: "we need to be more excited" - you can't really force it. People will naturally become enthused by displays of great playing, you can't have it the other way around and hope that cheerleading and enthusiasm will somehow lead to great playing.

11. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

you guys see that? Now thats intimidation!!! LOL /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

12. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

lol you loser

13. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Be excited about me! I'm american, and beat Japanese players on a daily basis!

14. imf

imf Well-Known Member

I think Creed's point all along from the beginning was just that living in Maine isolated and alone, undersexed, and crazed by hours of talking to himself is starting to take its toll.

15. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

let's try something a little more sensible n mature next time.

16. imf

imf Well-Known Member

You mean more subtle like "loser" or "asshole" or "dumb_blonde" right?

Kinda like this entire post?

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

You don't wear it, but if you're ever short of TP, or you have a new puppy who isn't housebroken, or you need to do some heavy-duty cleaning, or your dartboard's looking kinda bland.....

<hr></blockquote>

I was only joking anyway of course, realy.

17. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

If u think the only way to 'show ur unhappiness' abt creed's post is to start hurling insults(jokes, whatever) like creed did (thus, going down to the same standard as him).

By all means..go ahead.

No one is gonna try n stop u a second time.

18. imf

imf Well-Known Member

Sorry, I just didn't have the patience to respectfully argue over a point that isn't very clear to begin with by page 2. The first few posts were alright as people stated their opinions nice enough. But soon it began to drag through the mud. Creed seems ready and willing to talk tha smack. No harm I hope.

hehehe

19. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

Tiger Woods' Ethnicity

<font color=yellow>Minor correction: Tiger Woods is ¼ African American, ¼ Native American (Cherokee?), ½ Thai.

He's a child of the world, a man of the nations. I think that makes him Filipino!</font color=yellow>
    /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

20. Akebono

Thats great Gajinpunch, Do you have any vids we can watch of you. Where are you from. Where do you play. Are you in japan.