1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Proper arcade stick usage...

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by b4k4, May 27, 2002.

1. b4k4

b4k4 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SoundReason
    I made a post like this a month or two back, but got little in the way of quantity, quality, and variety in my responses (thanks to those who did take the time to reply before /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif). I want to get as many opinions on this as possible, so please, if you have something to say, do so. And now, on to the question...

I've been having a hard time getting as quick and efficient movements out of arcade joysticks as I would like. What I would like to know is if anybody has advice on how to hold/manipulate the stick (or how NOT to hold it). I know this may seem a somewhat stupid question, and perhaps it's somewhat hard to describe the way in which one uses the stick, but I'd appreciate as much input as possible. So if you have anything at all in the way of input, please feel free to share.

(BTW: The fact that I'm using a Ball style joystick, as opposed to the american Tear-drop, may be noteworthy. However, if you have stick specific techniques, please share those as well /versus/images/icons/smile.gif)

Thanks!

2. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Honestly, It's really a matter of tapping each direction lightly. Rolling the stick into d/f helps a bit when crouch dashing as well. My hands aren't that fast so I try to be nimble by not really grabbing the stick. Also make sure that in any moves your trying, for example: "b,b,f P+K" that you allow the stick to go into neutral. this is very important.

I really dispise the loose controls often found on US arcade machines. Every VF4 I've played on has had bouncy sticks.

3. b4k4

b4k4 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SoundReason
    Yeah, I know what you mean about the bouncy sticks... it's like all of them are setup for SNK games... One of the things I'm really having trouble with, is dashing/crouch dashing to the left of the screen. If anyone has specific advice on this, that'd be great too.

4. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

You just gotta get used to it. I know a few people that have different ways of holding the thing. It's all you. One problem on many VF4 decks in japan is taht the ball comes unscrewed. I picked up a habit from a friend of screwing it on during any break in the match, like when you're being thrown by wolf.

5. Tetra

Tetra Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

You just gotta get used to it. I know a few people that have different ways of holding the thing. It's all you. One problem on many VF4 decks in japan is taht the ball comes unscrewed. I picked up a habit from a friend of screwing it on during any break in the match, like when you're being thrown by wolf.

<hr></blockquote>
    There was some arcades in singapore that have ball unscrewed. Had to fix it back before it drops off after every match.......

6. solfizz

solfizz Well-Known Member

recently, i've been learning to configure my left hand in such a way that my 3 fingers (away from thumb) would grip the side of the actual metal stick while the index and thumb fingers would go on top. I've found that my motions come out quicker, not to mention more accurately as well, than with my previous hand placement.

Oftentimes, I find myself switching positions to do certain commands while keeping the afformentioned hand configuration as the default for the most part. If you're facing the right, to do d/f motions, i use all 3 fingers which are touching the rod to move in that direction. I still have problems getting the diagonal downback to register everytime(especially crouchdashign in that direction), but i'm guessing pushing the thumb against the knob toward that direction is the best thing for accuracy. As for getting it done fast, i'm unclear on what i should do (maybe use your index and middle fingers to hit the stick backward??), and i'd appreciate further feedback.

7. GaijinPunch

Another one that seems to be popular but I just can't get used to is cupping the ball of stick. Try this. Turn your hand palm-up, where you can see all your calises from lack of action. Insert the stick between either your index & middle finger, or middle & ring finger -- which ever one does not make your middle finger sore, as that will get PLENTY of action when you play in the arcades. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

8. Ryo Yamazaki

Ryo Yamazaki Active Member

This is gonna sound silly but bear with me ^_^

What you should do one day is try out all manner of ways you can think of to hold the stick (no matter how crazy)
    And then experiment with doing motions (particularly complex/semi-complex motions like qcf, f, d, d/f and 270 degree turns) and then stick with whatever feels the most natural to you.

I know, easier said then done /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

9. GaijinPunch

Sort of OT, but:

I saw my friend play last night, and actually watched his hand. He uses his index, middle, ring finger -- no thumb.

Strange, I thought.

10. gaishou

gaishou Well-Known Member

you ever see the people at the arcade that actually turn their hands around to use a stick?? mostly mashers of course.../versus/images/icons/crazy.gif

11. GaijinPunch

There's one guy that makes the rounds that literally beats the shit out of the machine, thinking that the harder he jerks the stick & hits the buttons the quicker he gets out up and whatnot. Quite a sight.