1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Prototype #3

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by ice-9, May 9, 2001.

1. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

http://virtuafighter.com/prototype/design15.jpg. By the way, I've deleted the other less-favored designs.

2. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

I like the color scheme on both very nice and familiar. My choice would be for 15 though just seems more semitrical and simple while 19 is a little uneven and the enter versus city and choose your Virtua Fighter things seem superflous. I espiecially like the move list option hehe.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

3. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

I like it..though, really, the proof is in the pudding...so I'd actually have to navigate it.

"Victory can be anticipated, but not assured" Sun-Tzu

4. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

There are several reasons why I prefer 19 over 15, let me know if you guys think it sounds right:

- The window for the main text in 15 is simply too narrow. It's about 400 pixels in width, and it's really tough to fit certain types of documents (such as movelists) in. It's an semi-inflexible design and something that is common to the present VFDC design. 19's window for text, on the other hand, is quite nice and wide at about 600 pixels. Horizontal bars will appear for 640x480 resolutions with 19 but you wouldn't have to scroll horizontally to read and there shouldn't be any for 800x600 resolutions (don't worry if it does right now)

- To me, 19 looks better than 15. 15's design is simple and straightforward whereas 19's design is a little bit more unconventional, but still retains a box-like familiarity. My only concern is that it might be a little too bold, so I'll probably making the borders thinner to have a cleaner look

- There are people who want something fancier and people who want something simpler...I actually think this design is both!

5. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://virtuafighter.com/prototype/design21.jpg>http://virtuafighter.com/prototype/design21.jpg</A>

OK, smaller borders and no more gray boxes...what do you think? I think we're getting close!!

6. Hayai_JiJi

Looks pretty good to me. One question why is the box with the combatants names in it not as wide the boxes above and below it? Other than that it is pretty much perfect in my eyes. Truthfully you could turn the whole site hot pink as long as you don't shut it down I'm happy.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

7. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

'legend' (in this context) and 'miscellany' aren't really idiot proof, beginner-friendly navigation terms.....
    maybe more commonly used words would be appropriate, ice. you did say that a problem with the current menu system (war city, etc.) is that is takes a little bit of remembering before the user knows what's what - this may have a similar problem, in that newbies may not have a very extensive vocab.

8. Hayai_JiJi

Well who cares about the idiot's and why should we catter to them:)

9. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

....that's one side of the coin....

10. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

But...what would be simpler words for "legend" and "miscellany"?

Legend -- brings up a page that contains a dictionary of sorts of some of the terms we use...

Miscellany -- section for anything that can't quite fit anywhere else.

11. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

That's to indicate a submenu...so in the case of the example, the user is viewing a section in virtuafighter 4. The different sized box is to indicate the submenu belonging to the iteration of the game. Plus I think it looks cool. :)

12. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

i know what the terms mean, jeff :)
    some people may not though. as for which words to change to.....well, that's up to you (though i sense you're sticking with the existing ones).

13. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

I like it. I like the gray submenu a little better though, it sets it apart more.

Also, maybe it's just me, but the VFDC logo with the vertical writing seems a little odd. Maybe just a big VFDC like it is now, but write virtua fighter dot com in smaller print below it?

14. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

I'm open to suggestions!!!!!

I thought about "Random" instead of "Miscellany"...what do you think? More accessible?

As for "Legend"...I'm thinking "Key" or maybe "Dictionary"?

As for the VFDC logo...if anyone wants to give it a try...please do!! I have lousy graphic skills...

15. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

i wouldn't use 'dictionary' because clueless idiots would probably think that that section would be a full built-in english dictionary :)
    'key' or 'key terms' (or just 'terms') would be OK. maybe i'm fussing over nothing - maybe legend is a word everybody does understand......i dunno.
    anyway, gotta fly......i'll think of more ideas soon.