1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

PS2 emu. for PS4 is official: Would you buy VF4 again?

Discussion in 'General' started by celsowm, Nov 21, 2015.

?

Would you buy VF4 and/or EVO again?

1. yeah

60.0%
  2. no

12.0%
  3. no (because I still have my copy and I hope a physical backward-compatibility )

28.0%
  1. celsowm

celsowm Well-Known Member

PlayStation 2 Emulation Coming to PS4, Sony Confirms:
    http://www.wired.com/2015/11/playstation-2-emulation-coming-to-ps4-sony-confirms/

Performance Analysis: PlayStation 2 emulation on PS4:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-ps2-emulation-on-ps4-performance-analysis

"Racer Revenge can see the PlayStation 4 emulation running the title at 60fps while the equivalent scene limps along at 33fps on original PS2 hardware"

Digital Foundry: Hands-on with PS4's PlayStation 2 emulation (GRAPHICS IMPROVEMENT):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Will sega re-release VF4 using this emulator?
    I don't have a VF4 or EVO copy and I would love to play VF4 in my PS4 and you guys?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
    grap3fruitman likes this.
  2. steelbaz

steelbaz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Raze--
    XBL:
    spliffy baz
    PS4 is LOL.

It has no games so they are trying to add PS2 emulation to increase it's library instead of delivering actual quality PS4 titles and expanding it's pathetic library of PS4 titles. Not only that but the article suggests it wont run PS2 discs and force you to purchase PSN EMU versions of the games to give sony more money from it's overrated machine that's boasting a nearly 4 year old watered down GPU/APU. Sega should focus on a PC release of VF4/FT/5R/FS and not even bother with PS2 emu. If this will enable actual PS2 discs to run on PS4 then it's nice because it'll bolster it's pitiful library of games and give the console some value. Will PS4 even be able to deliver 5 or 10 killer exclusives in 2016? I kinda doubt it... SF5 is really boring and better on PC, so that doesn't fully count as an exclusive. Plus paying for PSN is a joke and never count on SEGA to release new versions of their older VF games because we're still waiting for a FT and VF5R release of some sort to this day.

Kikimaru, CJA, Kamais_Ookin and 2 others like this.
  3. DigitlSamurai

DigitlSamurai Well-Known Member

PSN:
    DigitlSamurai
    XBL:
    DgtlSamurai KOF
    I wouldn't rebuy games I already own, but I would use my PS4 to play PS2 games from a disc. I'd only pay to download PS2 games I don't already have. If this is handled the same way as Xbox One backwards compatibility it'll be great, but we still need PS1 and 3 BC...both from disc AND as a download...ALL GAMES.

4. steelbaz

PSN:
    Raze--
    XBL:
    spliffy baz
    It's a cash grab they aren't offering Xbox One levels of backwards compatibility, discs wont work upon further reading. So you must buy the digital copies and pay sony all over again, unless they change their minds that's how it is from all of the info they've put out there atm. It is even detailed as a cash grab to create more revenue for them in the linked article.

5. Aoi in chinatown

Aoi in chinatown Member

PSN:
    Rawalpindiblues
    If they completely revamped vf4/vfevo and made it feature online(with a good netcode not fucking 2p being fucking +5 on block) then maybe.

But i will buy the re: outbreak series in a heartbeat especially if that features online.

6. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    If it's like this then they can get fucked.

7. DigitlSamurai

PSN:
    DigitlSamurai
    XBL:
    DgtlSamurai KOF
    Where is this information? I've read the article twice, just to make sure and it clearly says we don't know how it will work yet.

8. steelbaz

PSN:
    Raze--
    XBL:
    spliffy baz
    You ascertain that by the fact they already have it working in the form of a DLC downloadable package of games and it's aim of "generating more money" for sony in sales while bolstering the Ps4's total game library was alluded to in various different articles, and does make sense. There are other articles to be found on google etc about this, but they don't offer anything as substantial in terms of information like Microsoft did. So the actual games they are currently offering with backwards compat aren't the original versions of the disc based games, but are modified DLC versions and it does not make sony more money if people just buy second hand PS2 discs or use games they previously own. You are free to speculate it will include disc based backwards compatibility, but right now it is only confirmed working as DLC content based emulation like PS3. Maybe they will put in all the extra work to make PS2 discs play on PS4 at the cost of massive profits? They didn't with the PS3, although PS2 DLC games do infact work on PS3 via PSN downloads and emulation which I had to purchase and pay more $$$$ for. So i'm just basing this off what they've done in the past with their console and what they've said to the public about Xbox One's backwards comp being a staggering technical achievement that they can't match on PS4. Maybe they have fixed that with PS2 games and aren't charging for them only as DLC which was very successful for them and how it worked on PS3, but why change whats a proven money maker for them?

On the flipside M$ clearly detailed how their backwards compat would run almost immediately when it was announced and it wasn't via DLC only and that online functionality of 360 games was possible and a shared crossplay on LIVE between X1 and 360 player pools would be possible etc. M$ also opened up their backwards comp program for beta testers and launched it already. So you can assume in the future it will allow for discs to run at the cost of their own profits, but currently it only allows for the custom tailored DLC emulation games. Games that are now running at completely different frame rates than the original disc based versions of the games were. Based on everything they've said and what has been a proven successful business model for them on PS3 I don't see any reason to expect it to be any different, unless they come out and say PS2 discs will work, which would be awesome and not a cash grab, like they did the entire PS3's lifetime making you pay for PS2 DLC games on PSN Store. They force all users to pay for online on PS4 it's a pay to play model and I personally don't expect it to change for PS2 games on PS4 based on their history. But maybe they'll be nice this time???

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  9. DigitlSamurai

PSN:
    DigitlSamurai
    XBL:
    DgtlSamurai KOF
    While that's all true, I think adding BC to PS4 was a response to XB1 doing it first. In which case it would be in their best interest as a company to go about it the same way, or better than their competitor. Also remember that the PS3 plays PS1 games with smoother graphics and higher resolution from disc, or by DLC. Early models did the same for PS2 games, but were 600$. It shouldn't be out of the question to do the same for PS2 games on PS4. The only thing they'd have to do on a game by game basis is trophies and they don't necessarily have to do that.

I understand what you mean; I just don't think we know enough to say for sure.

10. steelbaz

PSN:
    Raze--
    XBL:
    spliffy baz
    It's good to have hope, but reading articles with things like this..
    "These leaks comes courtesy of Eurogamer, who claims they have been contacted by an inside source. Supposedly, the PS3 firmware features PS1, PS2 and PSP emulators, while the PS Vita has PS1 and PSP emulators built in. This code will be transferred to the PS4."

Which make it seem like it's PS3 DLC based games all over again. Like you said time will tell, but i'm not expecting disc based backwards comp at all based on their current business models of DLC and pay for PSN.

11. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    Coincidence, I've been playing Kumite mode on VF4 for the last couple of weeks, the AI mode, the whole advice and status thing, is refreshing.,

But I still have 2 fully functioning PS2's and they look good plugged into my high def.,

Rodnutz likes this.
  12. IcKY99

IcKY99 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    IcKY99
    XBL:
    IcKYIcKY
    its stupid that at least ps1 emulation wasn't even a standard feature like it was on the ps2/ps3, hell even the PSP and PSV can emulate ps1 games. so they intentionally didn't add the option to read physical ps1/2 games because they can charge you for them again via PS Store or PS Now.

steelbaz likes this.
  13. nou

nou Well-Known Member

Voted 'no because still own it'. Still have my PS2 collection (and Fat PS2) so it'd be cool if the bc took discs.

One of my favorite things about the Wii U, is bc for Wii and Game Cube.

Edit: I'd probably actually pick up a PS4 I'd this happened as they have some nice titles coming out next year for the PS4. This would be a nice bonus.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    IcKY99 likes this.
  14. Jide

Jide The Super Shinobi Silver Supporter

PSN:
    Blatant
    You may not need to. The Demul Naomi 2 Emulator is now running a lot better. Might as well have Arcade perfection.

15. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    Demul VF4FT ran pretty shitty for me, and I have a pretty beastly comp. The options for it didn't really impress either.

IcKY99 likes this.
  16. LegendaryHero90

LegendaryHero90 Well-Known Member

dude! You are missing out!

obrsv.org

check it out! Its a server made for that game.

EDIT: oh but you need a japanese version of the game to play though. Or use an emulator.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    Aoi in chinatown likes this.
  17. Jide

Jide The Super Shinobi Silver Supporter

PSN:
    Blatant
    Have you tried the new build of Demul?

18. Aoi in chinatown

Aoi in chinatown Member

PSN:
    Rawalpindiblues
    :eek: i'm legit speechless oh my god

19. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    I have the latest build. Maybe there's some magic you could work with plugins and such but I never bothered to check it further after that one test run, maybe again some day.

20. def

def Well-Known Member

I have both disc versions of VF4. I hope the PS2 emulation plays discs, even if it's just playing them with no upgraded stuff, I'll still be happy about playing them on a newer system. I remember I bought VF4 (vanilla) for $4 I think it was, it was a used copy, just a disc, no case. My brother and mine's original PS2 copy was broken. At first I didn't want to buy it used because I like most games brand new but I was glad I bought it. I actually like VF4 vanilla better (Yes, I know VF4 Evo has much more stuff and improvements) because of stage design, music, and etc.

By the way, to the person that created the topic saying he doesn't have a disc copy of VF4 or VF4 Evo. Try ebay or something? I remember some years ago I saw VF4 Evo for $10 NEW at Best Buy. If I remember correctly, that game was originally $20 when first released?