1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

PS2: Help needed for dual-shock controller user

Discussion in 'Console' started by Westminster, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Westminster

Westminster Member

Hi there-

I'm planning on using the standard DS controller, rather than a stick. In Training mode, in the command mode, some of the commands are very hard to execute. I have a few question about commands in VF4:

1. In commands that involve directional arrows, are the arrows to be pressed simultaneously with the action button that they precede, or should the arrow keys be pressed and held slightly before the action key?

2. Are there tips on how to properly enter commands that involve the diagonal directions? Some of the moves seem to be pretty easy, but others I can only hit one out of fifteen times. When I display the frame times, somtimes it shows that I have hits the right sequence, but the move still doesn't register. Do I need to hit G first before attempting a move?

3. For moves that involve several strokes, is the object to rapidly and perfectly enter the strokes as fast as possible, or are the strokes all supposed to be sync'ed with certain frames of the animation? In other words, is it possible to enter the button sequence TOO quickly for certain moves?

4. Finally, it the DS controller hopeless? Is it impossible for a normal person to consistently enter all of the moves for a given character using the DS controller?

Thanks.

2. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

1: """are the arrows to be pressed simultaneously with the action button that they precede""" Yup.

2: What moves are giving u trouble? no, there is no need to press G most of the time. In fact, I'm rather confident in saying right now, doing G-cancel moves is still not an area you should be concern abt. Know anything abt the buffering system in VF?

3: Yes, it is possible to enter not only the button sequence too quickly, but the directional sequences as well. There's a perfect timing for every move in the game.

4: What the hell is a DS controller?

Tell me what moves are causing u grief...then I'll be able to help you figure out exactly what you're doing wrong.

3. Westminster

Westminster Member

One move that I gave up on last night was using Pai in Training. It was the buK move. Tonight after reading some of the responses on this board and the IGN board, I went at it again. It seems the trick with that move is to merely tap the buttons. If you hit them right, but hold too long, the move doesn't execute. Does that sound right?

The DS controller is the Dual-Shock controller (the standard PS2 controller). I'm not planning to ever enter any arcade tournaments or anything, so I don't really want to buy a stick if the DS is workable for all moves...

Thanks.

4. PlugAndChug

PlugAndChug Well-Known Member

There is no need to go out and buy a joystick for VF unless your a real hardcore fan and plan to enter a tournament. All moves can be done except for Akira's stupid knee =( on the pad.

5. Jethull

Jethull New Member

Hey, I have a similiar question, problem using the Dual-Shock controller:
    on the trial training mode, the "evade throw escape block" (i believe that's the name) is driving me NUTS!

Usually get one of 2 results: 1) Evade and get kneed 2)Evade and get thrown...

is there something I am missing on the technique? Perhaps it is just more practice I need... oh well, any pointers would be gratefully accepted.

6. ken

ken Well-Known Member

LOL

thats the purpose of the exercise.

You're supposed to avoid both possibilies.

1) Throw Escape
    2) Modify Last escape to guard

The second part is important because if the opponent knees and you throw escape then your throw escape is considered a "throw attempt".

Hence let go of the punch in the last throw escape input to maintain a guarding posture.

1: dodge
    2: P+G
    3: f+P+G
    4: G

The above 1-4 should be entered as fast as possible. It consists of two throw escapes and finishes with a guard.

7. Jethull

Jethull New Member

Excelent, thanks for the advice... i'll give it a try after work. As a matter of fact, i wasn't doing the"f+P+G" step... Oy but my hands are beginning to cramp, thank goodness I have to go to work today.. i'll get a little break from VF4. /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

Gotta say, tho, that trainging mode sure has improved my game a bunch.

8. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Try a DLC on the pad sometime...

9. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Try a DLC on the pad sometime...

The knee is one move that's actually pretty easy on a pad, since it's all buttons.
    If you're using your thumb to press the buttons tho, I can see where it'd be tough.