1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

PS2 joysticks?

Discussion in 'General' started by Zero-chan, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

OK, I've played VF4 finally, and now I've been broken... I'm ready to drop the money on a Japanese PS2 (managing to obtain one fairly cheaply, less than a US model) and VF4. Thing is, I also need a nice joystick to go with it. Sure, that VF4 stick looks darn spiffy and all, but with only three buttons, I'd be pretty screwed if I wanted to play other fighters. (But I might be more inclined to buy it if it had someone besides Akira on it. hehe) So... can anyone here give any recommendations for good (and hopefully fairly inexpensive) PS2 sticks?

2. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver Well-Known Member

The only other japanese-style stick that I'm aware of for the playstation 2 is the Asci FT 2 stick, which is, I suppose, a revision on their first FT stick, that came along with the first Capcom vs. Snk on the Dreamcast. I must say that I didn't like the first one at all, it's an optical stick design and it didn't feel solid enough - I'm a fan of microswitches. However, I've heard that this latest one isn't optical, so it could be good. It's not official info, however, so you might want to get a double check on that. Otherwise, it's typical japanese stick fare - with 8 buttons laid out in the standard arch.

There are a couple of decent japanese sticks that came out long ago for the ps1, but are out of production now, so you'd have to do some searching in auctions and stuff - there's the Namco stick that came out for Tekken 2 (black base, yellow buttons), and a Hori stick that wasn't too bad (black base, multicolor buttons).

This is all assuming you're fond of the japanese stick style - otherwise I don't know. I'd be willing to wager that any US mass-produced console stick would be very poor indeed. You could get very good results by purchasing the separate parts from a good manufacturer, like Happ controls (their Competition line of sticks and buttons is very good, especially the buttons - convex, short action and very responsive) and putting everything together. That would require a bit of masonry and electronics skill, plus sacrificeable controllers for the PCBs; it all depends on your tastes and patience;

hope this helps.

3. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Manoel my friend.. how's life been?
    Been a while since we caught up /versus/images/icons/smile.gif
    Beep me on icq whenever possible~

BTW
    where in the world can I buy Hori sticks from?
    I've been trying to find it online for AGES!

4. number 6

number 6 Active Member

I have the CVS2 stick, and I've opened it up. It is switches not optical.

5. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

you're right!....

at this rate, PS2 owners will have to buy a joysitck for eack fighting game! ..(^_^)

.tekken tag
    .VF4

what next?...*looks at the icon to the left* i like the design though.., but i'm as stuck as you are..(-_-)

6. Freud

Freud Well-Known Member

pardon my ignorance..
    but what is the difference caused by optical or not-optical sticks?

7. number 6

number 6 Active Member

The majority of sticks use little micro switches for their 4 primary directions. This is generaly preffered by 3D fighting game fans, because you can feel the switchs as you move the stick around. For instance if you are holding D and rolling towards d/f you can feel when you hit the switch and know you got your diagonal.

Then, there are Joysticks that instead of using swtiches, have some kind of optical switch. The most famous being the Happ Perfect 360. The negative of this, is that you fell nothing as you move the stick. This can be terrible for some people, like trying to tie your shoes with gardening gloves on. Some people don't have a problem with it.

360's are the prefered stick for 2D games. They are very good for the QCF and HCF motions in Street Fighter games because they don't try to hang up at the diagonal when you are sweeping the stick around. Arcade managers also like them, because they are mainenance free, they really can't be broken.

While I haven't seen one opened, the CvS1 stick by Ascii supposedly was optical. Which is interesting because Happ 360's need 5 volts to run.

8. Happy_Friend

Happy_Friend Well-Known Member

This question my have been asked and answered somewhere else, but where can a guy find a website that will allow him to import a couple of those sticks. I do not give a shit if they only have three buttons because vf is really the only fighter I want to play very much. The Japanese sticks are the only way to go, though I do play Vf3 with this fucked up green and grey Arkino stick that was the only one I could find in Taiwan. Though it is a little weird, it has a compact stick that does move so absurdly far like the American style cabinets or the shadowblade for ps2. I advise everyone to stop playing with the "American-style Clutz stick" and play with the stick that masters use in Asia.

Do they make a stick with the vf cabinet components, but all the buttons, like the dc Agetech stick? That would be wiser.

I will play doa or sf or sc if I have to because the people I play with are tired of playing vf with me but i always do so reluctantly and sadly. It would at least be nice to have a stick for those somber occassions; I mean a joystick, not a stick for beating my non vf-loving friends.

9. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

10. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

Thanx for the stick info I didn't know about the difference in the inputting of the joystick either. I was lucky enough to come across two brand new Hori sticks at a babbages in the Fl. Mall the other day. Does anyone here use a Hori Stick? And do they know if there is a new one coming out or one specifically for VF4?

11. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Which Hori Stick?

I have a Hori Fighting Stick PS, which I personally like a lot, though it's not for everyone. The range of movement on the stick is really small, but you definitely know which direction you're inputting. The only complaint I personally have about the stick is that the buttons aren't the best, but I still like them enough.

There are many sticks by Hori, though I'm not sure how many actually made it to the US.

-Chanchai

12. scolaire

scolaire Well-Known Member

Several years ago, I ever owned one of those Hori sticks and they do live up to claims. It was for the saturn. But, owing to the fact that it was made of metal, it rusted all the way after I gotten a DC.

And, if u ask me, I would buy one for my PS2. However, its quite difficult to get one these days. Maybe, u could try out the online stores.

13. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

the really old hori sticks were made from metal
    a friend of mine got his when ps1 was just released...
    he still has it todae n works just like brand new...
    aye..it's rusty as hell too!

14. scolaire

Some months ago, I saw another Hori stick. It was smaller in design and durable, I think. Base is also black colour. But, its also difficult to find.

I would actually buy Sega's virtua stick PS2, but only if I can't find the hori stick. Sega's PS2 stick has only 3 buttons and cannot be used on other games like KOF. Its quite a waste....

15. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

oh plz
    with VF4 at home
    why in god's name would I want to spend time on KOF?

the ps2 VF4 stick is made by hori too...oh well..
    when all else fails.........

16. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

I have the black-base Hori Saturn stick. I bought a Saturn-to-DC adapter to use it exclusively for FV2 play, I like it so much. (^^) Definitely pick it up if you can.

17. scolaire

Speaking of which... Do you think there is such a thing as a DC to PS2 adapter?

I still have my Saturn Hori, but rust has already rendered it unusable. /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

18. Happy_Friend

Hey. Thanks for the web address. I went the site and it said that the joystick is for the Japanese PS2 only. Is this right? I would order them, but I do not want them to not work on my American PS2. It seems like they should work. Does anyone know?

19. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Hmm. Doesn't work on the US PS2 machine? Doesn't sound good, mine are already coming in. I'll be sure to post on this board when I get my joystick.

20. Happy_Friend

That's what it says on the website, but that just seems fucking spiteful if they made them incompatible with my YankeeStation. That will really suck a large and girthy pecker for you if you get two expensive, arcade perfect, completely useless joysticks in the mail. I am rooting for you.