1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

PS2 VF4 80% beta -- hands-on preview

Discussion in 'Console' started by feixaq, Jan 14, 2002.

1. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

leet, you've seen some eh? Can you describe them?

2. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Am I the only one here who is kinda happy that Kage is not the death machine he was in 3tb?

3. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Well, I feel sad for my buddy who uses Kage, but yeah, actually.. even though my best streak ever was posted playing kage, I've always felt he was one of the golden boys rich alludes to.. the akira/lau/kage deathmachine club. He's always retained the best elbow/punch/sidekick/kickflip/sweep/whatever while other character's moves got slower, gained recovery, failed to knock down, did less damage, etc. etc.

Finally a characters leaves the elite club and suddenly it's a tragedy :p
    My personal rankings would still put Kage over any of the girls, although I have limited experience vs. vanessa.

4. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Changes to Kage

- Kage's b,b+K+G no longer knocks down.

I'm not spewing blood over this bit of news (yet) until I/we find out more details. Some have mentioned these before, but if:

a. it knocks down on MC, and
    b. retains initiative on hit (the more the better)

then I don't mind at all. Or at the very least if there's something guaranteed after it MCs (assuming it doesn't knock down) then that'll be fine with me too. Imagine a TT-P+KK being guaranteed after MC? I can dream.

Anyway, I was getting pretty bored with the pitiful followups after version B's b,b+K+G. The pounce was the most damaging, which was just a little too ghetto for my liking, and anything else was QR/TRable into a 50/50-ish situation.

5. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Hopefully hit sparks

<hr></blockquote>

A Tekken vs VF debater would love to see this comment, huh!? The irony...oh the irony. :)

6. marcel

marcel Well-Known Member

Does the snow and sand mold the same and do the walls break the same? Is the fighting order the same? It would be nice if you could tell. thanks. : )

7. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

"If Kumite mode uses real players' names, I'd hate to be the 10th Kyu player with a 10% win ratio!"

Ha ha.. Well, you could sue Sega for that. It's humiliating!

I remember Spotlite saying that SOA was working on making up new names for the kumite opponents for the English language release. It'd be nice to see a list of the Japanese names when it comes out though... just for comparisons... My guess would be that AM2 would use joke names for the low ranking kumite opponents.

Hmm... anyone know if the frame stats might show up in the english PS2 manual?

8. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Just a quick update:
    I think Howard (segaduck) mentioned that the Japanese PS2 VF4 has the ability to cache character polygonal and textural data onto the PS2 HDD so that load times are reduced; I doubt that will appear ex-Japan, though, given the low uptake of the PS2 HDD accessory.

9. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

yes
    i too have recieved news abt that.
    Gonna wait till i open up the manual n go thru it to see if they mentioned abt it.

If it indeed allow us to use the HD in such a manner..
    mama..more spending to do.

10. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Hmm, I really don't think the loading time is egregiously long in the beta I tested... not sure that I'd drop several hundred bucks more just to save 1-2 seconds loading time per match...

11. vf4akira

vf4akira Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Hmm, I really don't think the loading time is egregiously long in the beta I tested... not sure that I'd drop several hundred bucks more just to save 1-2 seconds loading time per match...

<hr></blockquote>

Actually, I have the PS2 HDD, so I'll be using it to save a couple secs. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif But, if it's anything like using the HDD with FFX, then you probably won't even notice the differences with or without after playing for about 5-10 mins or so.

12. LauVF

LauVF Well-Known Member

"Virtua fighter 4 blue book -advanced phase-" can buy 31 jan in jp.

13. Darknight

Darknight Active Member

vf4akira: Hey, you have a PS2 HDD? I've got one too but the problem for me is I didn't get a utility disc in order to flash my bios so that it will recognize the data in the browser. I was wondering if we could work something out so that I could borrow the utility disc just so I can upgrade my system. My HDD came with the Linux kit and for some reason Sony felt like not including the utility disc. Chris (FeixaQ) and Jason can vouch for me if you need that. Please let me know, thanks.