1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

ps2 vf4 is on a dvd rom right?

Discussion in 'Console' started by RandomHajile, Jan 29, 2002.

1. RandomHajile

RandomHajile Well-Known Member

all this talk of peeps having a 80% version or cdr version? im sure sega has said alll ps2 games will be on dvd rom, also is there pc extras say if u was to open it on a pc? like say doa had

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Well, clearly CDR works and exists, lookit all the posts..

Don't think there will be extras, unless it's an extra text file that says "fuck you, damn pirates!" in japanese.

3. RandomHajile

RandomHajile Well-Known Member

ohh , i wasnt aware there has been pirate ps2 games yet? i gone of games from soul calibur on jap dc! anyways do u think the cdr is the 80% version of the full version as i think if theres a cdr out there its the 80% one, bytheway what do u need to runn cdr ps2 games? is it just liek a ps2 that can play psx cdrs?

4. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

it's the full version, the one released for japanese audiences on the 31st.

You need to jump through a lot of hoops.
    To run CDR, if you happen to have a japanese PS2, you still need an internal mod to allow it to play CDR's. If you don't have japanese, you need a mod that makes it play japanese games and then you need to do a swap trick as well.

5. BEM

BEM Member

Are you sure that you need at mod to play Japanese CDRs?

I presumed that if the game has been ripped from a DVD, the ripper could also strip off the region protection. I know this is often done with DC games, so that the Japanese game can be played on a non-Japanese machine without a boot disk.

Does anyone know if a boot disk has been released for PS2 yet? Action Replay, that kind of thing?

6. Freud

Freud Well-Known Member

speaking about the difference between the 2 versions. US and Japanese PS2..
    do all games that come out on the Japanese version always have a US ?
    trying to get one set but not sure whether to op for the US over Japanese version

7. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

you need a mod to play any cdrs on ps2. you need a mod to play other regional cds. VF4 is a dvd with ~500mb of data, which fits on a cdr just fine. It's possible to make Dreamcast CDRs self boot without physical mod to the machine, but that is unlikely to happen on ps2. You need to do swap with a gameshark unless your ps2 is moded with a neo4 or messiah chip, but I am told these chips are hard to find, pricey and difficult to mod (30some wires instead of 1 wire to solider). Friend did my machine in 15 min, I think I have a neo 2.0 or something.

8. sansan

sansan Active Member

I don't know how these guys manage to do it. I did a dir on my GT3 DVD and it shows over 2GB of data. But i have seen people selling CDR of the game. I think some of the data put into a PS2 DVD might be just junk.... not actual game data IMO.

9. gaishou

gaishou Well-Known Member

the games have a dummy file on them if i am correct to fill the rest of the disk with "data"......

10. BEM

BEM Member

Sometimes they strip out some data to make the game fit. For example, cinematic cut scenes are sometimes cut out, and I know the CDR of VOOT on DC has many of the music tracks removed.

But yeah, I'm sure not all the stuff on there is necessary.

11. DuoWing

DuoWing Active Member

Well about VF4 being on a CD-R or a DVD disc. I believe that Virtua Fighter 4 for PS2 will be on a DVD disc, because Enishi told me that he has heard that some things would have to be cut from the game, to hold the whole game on a CD-R, and if AM2 actually wants to keep everything plus add extras, I believe that VF4 will be on a DVD-rom

12. nxw0016

nxw0016 Well-Known Member

I heard it is on CD-rom format, original Japanese version.

Don't know about US PS2, but I heard Japanese PS2's games some come in DVD formats and some come in CD Rom format, it all depends on the size of the program.

I don't own a PS2 yet so don't beat me up if the information I said was wrong:)

13. Kyo

Kyo Member

It's definately on a CD-ROM format...I got the original yesterday...

14. Kyo

Kyo Member

"But yeah, I'm sure not all the stuff on there is necessary"

yup..the ripper ususally takes out opening scenes/cut scenes, music and even down sample some sound tracks to force an original DVD game to fit on a CD...of coz...they would re-route the music so you would still have music while playing....

15. sansan

sansan Active Member

In fact i have seen the back of the jacket cover on coremagazine (forgot when but months back). It shows CR-ROM. Don't know whether it's accurate or not....

16. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Retail version is on a CD .
    Makes it easy on those fucking pirates , doesnt it Hatim ?

17. sansan

sansan Active Member

It's a bad idea that Sega chooses CD. Their attempt to cut a little cost has the whole market floated with copies even before the game is officially released. We pay more, we get less... where is justice in this world !!! /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

Sega should think twice about this in their next game IMO

18. gaishou

gaishou Well-Known Member

you actually think that the prices of games will go down if not so many are pirated? i don't think so. its a nice idea, but i do not think it would happen. big companies are too money hungry and greedy....

19. sansan

sansan Active Member

Gaishou, i mean it's cheaper for Sega to press the game in CD instead of DVD, not that the game will get cheaper.. Sega probably wants to cut cost so they choose the CD.

Anyway, just got my VF4... it's original /versus/images/icons/wink.gif. The game on CD. The CD's a little different... media is dark blue in color, like Mitsubishi's CDR.

20. DuoWing

DuoWing Active Member

Even tho their are alot of copies floating around, there are a lot of people who don't have the right CDS to burn it on, or the time to download the game, etc. So the company still makes alot of money, The thing also is that stuff is cut for the pirated versions, so that mkes people go and rather buy the real version