1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

PS2 VF4 looks like crapyness! :(

Discussion in 'Console' started by EvilBowlOfCereal, Mar 8, 2002.

1. EvilBowlOfCereal

EvilBowlOfCereal Active Member

I just got my Jap ps2 today with a copy VF4. I pluged it in put in all the settings and put VF4 in.

Now I don't know if this is just me but the quality of the game loks like crap. Its all granny. Im not using a HDTV and I hear it dosen't look good on a HDTV. Im using a "normal" TV. Im wondering if the system or game might be damaged in some way? Or does the game really look that bad? I seen vid clips of the game in action and I mean they look good and my copy of ps2 looks nothing like the ps2 vids I seen. The place I bought the PS2 from said it works in the U.S. so im not sure whats wrong. Anyone got any clues?

This is a normal Jap ps2. no mod chip or anything. and a Import Vf4 from Japan.

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

From the sound of it, you're not super-anal-retentive. It sounds like it's 'unnaturally' bad.. I'd say it's your TV or the video cables you use from the PS2 to the TV.
    Do you have any other games to compare with, just to be sure it's only the PS2 and not your high standard? The game IS jaggy and DOES look worse than the arcade, no arguments on that front. Try other ways of connecting to the TV? My setups is like this (looks normal): red and yellow A/V cables hook into a convertor box (allows you to plug in A/V source, antenna, etc. Must be plugged into a wall to work). From the box I have a coax line (big screw at the end) running to the knob in the back of the TV, your standard place for plugging in a VCR.
    All of this is because my TV is old and has no A/V inputs, just The Big Knob.

3. Mizkreant

Mizkreant Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

My setups is like this (looks normal): red and yellow A/V cables hook into a convertor box (allows you to plug in A/V source, antenna, etc. Must be plugged into a wall to work). From the box I have a coax line (big screw at the end) running to the knob in the back of the TV, your standard place for plugging in a VCR.

<hr></blockquote>
    I'd imagine plugging the PS2 into the coax RF connector would look really bad. I didn't think it made much of a difference until I switched from composite to S-Video. It looks so much crisper now, you can see subtle details in the textures (not in VF4, don't have it yet, I mean in most games).

4. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

Yeah, an RF cable looks bad for ANY game. AV or composite cables should be fine, but an S-Video connection is best.

5. camenraider

camenraider Member

sorry but the best is a RGB connection....way better....

6. DTX

DTX New Member

When I first saw the game at a friend's house, it looked pretty bad. I was waiting for the game forever and I had seen previews for it and thought it would look better. However, when I brought it home to play on my tv, it looked a hell of a lot better. It could that he's tv was a bit bigger and mine is a mere 19inch.
    but whatever.

7. HunterRose

HunterRose Active Member

The game doesn't look that bad on an HD with Component.
    But then again I didn't buy it for the looks.

8. SINphul

SINphul Member

I have a decent sized TV and I think it looks pretty darn good. It's no DOA3 (in graphical terms) but the characters are much more detailed than those in SC (not sure about TTT...never played it on the PS2). Everyone says S-Video makes jaggies more prevelent, but I don't even notice them. I guess that come with being a PC game junkie...you console kids are just spoiled with all your anti-aliasing /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

9. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

I think the majority of gamers here really dun give a flamming fuck abt the supposedly 'gfx flaws' in the PS2 version.

10. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

In general, the home version isn't much worse than the arcade game on a low rez screen. Textures suffer on the home game, but the characters and animation are very close. It's ver C anyways, so there's no way to test game play differences vs. arcade until someone in the west gets their hands on a ver C arcade upgrade.

11. MethodTiCaL

MethodTiCaL New Member

I have a 50 inch Toshiba widescreen HDTV with compnent video<RGB> cables for the PS2. It still looks grainy and jaggy as all hell. I hate to say it, but the crispness isn't there. Nobody can say otherwise. Its a beautiful game, but the graphics could have used a little tweaking. The game plays great! But I will be getting the X-Box version should it arrive anytime within the next year.

12. VCANEDA

VCANEDA Member

are u serious i think the graphics are stunning infact just as good as doa for the xbox and it plays better to.(by the way i have a 29inch flat-screen and idont see the grains maybe it's just ure tv?

13. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

yea, it could be his TV, but I think it is the crappy copy. copy VF4...why would anyone who could afford HDTV buy a knock-off? off-topic with my wega I don't see any dierence btw s-video and standard three plug.

14. DuoWing

DuoWing Active Member

MethodTical...I don't think theres goona be an XBOX version. Thats why they said VF4 is PS2 exclusive... And the graphics are great. I really don't notice much problems.

15. MethodTiCaL

MethodTiCaL New Member

Well, I have a Wega in my Bedroom, it looks worse on that. Its a 32-inch flatscreen. But what the hell are you talking about when you say ""crappy copy" or "knock off"? Just curious...

Meth

16. MethodTiCaL

MethodTiCaL New Member

Sidenote: I guess that when the image is way bigger you will notice the flaws more, seeing as how it is magnified.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

If you have a component connection like I do, the game will look 2x better than with an AV connection. The difference is night and day. It's shows sharper textures, it's brighter, colors don't bleed into each other and I see way less jaggies than with an AV connection. The only problem is component inputs are only found in new high-end TV's so that's a fuckin bitch! It looks friggin good on my plasma TV.