1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

PS2 VF4 replays

Discussion in 'Console' started by feixaq, Feb 2, 2002.

1. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

SummEr's asked me to check how big replays are... well, I'm happy to say that a replay of a 4 round match (3-1) took up only 32KB! And the replay contains ring names and customized character outfits too. Maybe we should set up a replay exchange center...

2. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

I brought up that idea long time ago, that's why I was so interested in knowing how big/small the save files would be...only problem is...uhm..where do we upload our replays to?

3. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

We most definitely should! Especially now since it will make it easier to setup a central place for these (sort of the XS Reality of VF4 replays/versus/images/icons/wink.gif -- with better design to boot).

-Chanchai

4. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I'm sure I could handle a few replay files...

It'll be rad when the PS2 emulator comes out. Then we can get replay files on the PC and play them via the emulator. Sort of like VF2 PC replay files.

Incidentally, someone started a rumor about bleem being able to play PS2 games. I haven't seen any proof of that, but I can confirm that VF4 is NOT one of them... =(

5. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

An ideal replay exchange website should have the following, IMHO:

User input fields:
    - text fields for 1P and 2P ring names
    - drop down menus for 1P and 2P ranking level
    - drop down menus for 1P and 2P characters
    - upload text box and button

Automatic input fields:
    - date uploaded
    - name of registered user uploading the replay
    - system should check the .xxx file type to see if it's legit (and also a file size check, maybe under 100kb)

Registration facility:
    - all users may view and download replays
    - only registered users may post replays
    - a registered user may delete his/her uploaded replays or edit replay info
    - only registered users may rate replays (to prevent vote spamming)
    - registration should be linked to a REAL email address (to prevent vote spamming)

Ascending/descending sort:
    - ring names
    - ranking level
    - characters
    - date uploaded
    - rating (by registered users)

6. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Update: I tested out a 5-round, 45 second battle (time out every round) with two VF.net characters, replay size is only 36KB!

7. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great idea!

I'd be more than happy to put a section up on VP for PS2 replays. No problem. People can email them to virtuaproject - we'll set up an address like replays@virtuaproject.com - and we'll put them up for people to DL.

cheers!

8. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

try time out while mashing buttons with each character /versus/images/icons/smile.gif See how much space that takes up.

9. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Since we're already at 36Kb...time overs, etc. shouldn't even bring this to over 100Kb. Imo, a replay of 1M would even be fantastic. VP has a gig of space - so there's lots of room available.

cheers,

10. Darknight

Darknight Active Member

If you're going to do this, do not get a Shark Port. Make sure you get an EMS PS2 Memory Card adaptor. You can check their site out at http://www.hkems.com and you can either order it directly from them or from http://www.lik-sang.com. This is a much better solution than what is available in the US.