1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

PS2 VF4 stuff (vanessa)

Discussion in 'Vanessa' started by alantan, Jan 31, 2002.

1. alantan

alantan Well-Known Member

I just got my PS2 today including the VF joystick which is okay. I couldn't get the 3/4 throws out at first but after you get used to it is not too bad.

Really likes the training mode. Tons of information like frame advantages can be found. Is historically such console frame information similar to that found in the arcade?

I cannot complete the multiple throw escapes training... sigh...

Vanessa changes
    MT: p+k,p,k no longer recover 50-50 when blocked. Opponent has advantage. However, p+k,p is similar to DS and Vanessa recover faster when blocked.
    The 4,6+p,p,p,k not very good, the delay does not seems to be long.
    It seems that of all Vanessa's knees, the normal standing K recover fastest when blocked.
    There is NO NEW LOW throws.
    DS: g,9/3+p gives a down animation similar to Lei b,f+p+k, ie not low throwable but easier to combo.
    4,4k+g givees the low-throwable kazure down.

some other stuff,
    LP MC is not marked as confirmed throw but HP MC is marked as confirmed throw.

so is p+k,p(MC)

2. feii

feii Well-Known Member

PSN:
    WEIHAO888
    wow u got ya ps2?u lucky guy~!lets haf an outing to ya house next time LOL.

3. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

Re: PS2 VF4 stuff (Throw Escape Training)

I cannot complete the multiple throw escapes training... sigh...

....!

there is a training mode specifically for escaping multiple throws. How many?
    how is it handled?

GE

4. alantan

you are supposed to do any throw counterable move and Jeffery (CPU) will try to throw you using p+g or f+p+g or f+p+g throws. You are supposed to break 5 times consecutively I think. VERY tough but my finger always not very good.

5. alantan

dun mind but someone must bring another joystick /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

6. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Yeah, I really like the training mode (both trial and free) and the ex-co-re frame recovery bars at the bottom.

Even though you don't have hard numbers on frame data like you'll get in the Blue Book, you can still see who recovers faster from a blocked move, for example, watch Kage recover faster than the opponent after the opponent blocks PPb+P.

Alan -- you think the VF4 PS2 joystick is just "okay"? Not as good as the arcade sticks?

7. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

Thia is the official 3-button sitcks you're talking about, right? Mind giving a few more impressions on it? Thanks.

8. danny13

danny13 Well-Known Member

Alan. I have another joystick by namco. Good and solid. See when you convenient. I have my ps2 memory card too. can store my akira information. By the way how did you get your copy of vf4?

9. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Thanks for the info Alan.

Is historically such console frame information similar to that found in the arcade?

Not that I know of, but yeah, I think it's a great feature of the home version.

DS: g,9/3+p gives a down animation similar to Lei b,f+p+k, ie not low throwable but easier to combo.

Yeah, finally a good use for these moves, resulting in a head crumble. Is the head crumble on normal or counter hit?

4,4k+g givees the low-throwable kazure down.

Another good change! Does it stomach crumble on any hit? Does it have to be charged at all?

some other stuff,
    LP MC is not marked as confirmed throw but HP MC is marked as confirmed throw.

so is p+k,p(MC)

What do you mean by "marked"? The game actually tells you about guaranteed throw opportunities? Woah.

10. alantan

I think so. It has the VF4 picture on it. Feels different from what I am used to in the arcade.

The problem with me is that I am not a very dexterous person so I dun really have high hopes for joystick as I can never do akira's knee anyway. The buttons is similar to the vs cabinets in the arcade but stiffer (perhaps they are new). but overall, I can get my 3/4 throws and every simple move with no problem.

The construction is quite solid and the joystick is pretty stable on any flat surface.

11. alantan

mike,

both the new crumple moves are on normal hit.

ya the training mode have a throw flag showing when you can confirm throw. Pretty neat huh /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

BUT the MS p+k,p,k do not connect anymore, even on MC. I have never seen the k being blocked after the p connects in the arcade but now... it is no longer confirmed. which is BAD.

The CD says you CAN buffer throw escapes during your move recovery phase which probably meant that if you do a slow recovery move, you can input more throw escape. BUT I CANNOT break throws... sigh... I used Vanessa DS f+p which is throwable when blocked.

12. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

there is a training mode specifically for escaping multiple throws. How many?

Just to add... there's training for the following:

TTE - triple throw escape
    ETE - escape throw-escape
    TEG - throw-escape guard
    ETEG - escape throw-escape guard

Didn't see any training for DTEG or RDTE though...

13. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Just a little bit more stuff...

So, from training #14, we know that TTE is doable. I went back to free training to see how many frames it takes to TTE (assume that the first P+G happens on the first frame). I got somewhere between 11-14 frames for a TTE.

Now, releasing a button takes some frames as well. The fastest release is the 1-frame release a la Akira's knee, but in doing stuff like DTEG, unless you have incredibly fast AND delicate hands, I doubt you can release the P in 1 frame after the initial DTE. More likely 2-4 frames to release P.

So... combining the above two points, I think it's possible to TTE or DTEG, but not TTEG just because you don't have enough frames to spare. Likewise, RDTE is possible but I doubt RTTE is...

All this is not conclusive, just IMHO...

14. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

One more thing.

One side benefit of training 14-B is that you can easily find out which moves are throw counterable, and which aren't. Training 14-B is simple TEG stuff, and requires you to execute a throw counterable move, then press P+G, then release P. If you execute a non-counterable move, then try pressing P+G, the CPU will just duck the throw.

From this, you can easily deduce which of Akira's moves (for example) have counterability tweaked in ver.C.

The following have always been throw counterable in ver.B:
    bodycheck
    double palm
    PP
    df+P+K+G
    df+P+K+GP
    stun palm
    bf+P+K+G
    SJK
    DJK
    Yoho
    Knee
    f+P+G or d+P+G (throw counterable even if hit, but not when blocked... cannot test in training 14-B however)

As most people know by now, double overhead palm is throw counterable in ver.C... training 14-B confirms this. BUT, SDE is still completely uncounterable, contrary to earlier rumors that SDE would revert back to VF3 recovery times.

P.S. I'm having fun using Lei Fei in #14-B to see *exactly* which of his moves are throw counterable...

P.P.S. Holy shit! Lei Fei's d+K is high throw counterable after you block low! Grrr...

15. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

Do you think it would be possible to make of list of the training levels. Never having seen the ps2 version I can only guess that the training descriptions are *not* in english so there might be issues when an anglo steps up to the plate. If anyone has the time to do this it would be great.

GE

16. alantan

I got mine from Kiat's friend's shop... onegoodshop.com.

I ordered my PS2 (unmod), VF4 game (orig), Vf stick, memory card for like $695 including shipping to my office in the morning and it arrived at 12pm in the afternoon.

17. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

I ordered my PS2 (unmod), VF4 game (orig), Vf stick, memory card for like $695 including shipping to my office in the morning and it arrived at 12pm in the afternoon.

It's funny how a lot of us who grew up on VF back in school are now dropping serious loads of cash to get VF4 PS2 in a hurry now that we're working /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

18. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Do you think it would be possible to make of list of the training levels. Never having seen the ps2 version I can only guess that the training descriptions are *not* in english so there might be issues when an anglo steps up to the plate. If anyone has the time to do this it would be great.

I'll write it up tonight or over the weekend. Wonder if we persuade SoA to use my writeup (so that all US gamers can standardize on terminology like ETEG and throw-counterable and stuff, as opposed to some crappy SoA translation)? Probably wishful thinking...

19. alantan

there is also training on interrupting rising attack which is pretty hard to get with Vanessa. It took me sometime to realise that the f,f+k (suggested by the CD) is TOO slow to hit the attack UNLESS I enter the command B4 I see the down character move... kind of stupid.

20. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Henry Kong aka Moby has also volunteered to translate a bunch. Currently he's working (?) on translating the replay files so that gaijin can recognize the celebrities.