1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

PS2 VF4 stuff (vanessa)

Discussion in 'Vanessa' started by alantan, Jan 31, 2002.

1. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

Re: PS2 Vanessa -- cheesy b,b+K+G

While playing Vanessa the other day I discovered that if you fully charge the b,b+K+G when the opponent staggers you can low throw them! Which means that hit or stagger the b,b+K+G guarrantees a low throw! You have to make sure you dodge that move.

cheers,
    kbcat -- I think that's really cheesy. I got to Sho-Dan with b,b+K+G,df+P+K+G.

2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

So you're saying that a fully charged b,b+K+G against a standing defender will guarantee a low throw? Does it still stomach crumble them in this case, or stagger them into a crouch?

kbcat -- I think that's really cheesy. I got to Sho-Dan with b,b+K+G,df+P+K+G.

Ah, just because it's abusable against the CPU doesn't make it cheesy! It's so easy to dodge it's not funny, and we're talking max charge too. How much warning can a ninja give?

Personally, I'd give Jeffry's hellstab crumble on normal hit the cheesy award. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

3. alantan

alantan Well-Known Member

tried it, doesn't work. most probably your opponent is trying to crouch.

Vanessa is not much improved. In fact I think it is around 50-50.

Major gains:

1) wieght... /versus/images/icons/smile.gif
    2) p+k,p is delayable
    3) two new kazure down moves. But it is sooo pathetic. maybe I am not imaginative enough but the BEST followup I can find for the G,9+p move is..... PPP. duh..... and the 4k+g followups is similar to g,8p which is pretty lousy.

Major losses:
    1) p+k,p the damage of the second P is down and thus the final k (MT) will not combo UNLESS on MC which REALLY sucks
    2) f,d+p+g throw is WEAKEN to 53 points... the 33+P+G throw is also weakened.
    3) rising P is also weakened by 4 points
    4) kkpp the second K can longer hit low punch which is VERY VERY BAD. that means opponnet just need to low p or some low moves after blocking the first knee. sigh...

sigh basically I think they toned down Vanessa. For What???

4. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

Ah, just because it's abusable against the CPU doesn't make it cheesy! It's so easy to dodge it's not funny, and we're talking max charge too. How much warning can a ninja give?

Very true. To do the trick you hit b,b+K+G full charge then hit df+P+K+G as soon as the b,b+K+G hits -- The opponent has just started to stagger, they're in the middle of the "wobbling" animation. You do the low throw as soon as possible.

kbcat

5. danny13

danny13 Well-Known Member

Re: PS2 VF4 stuff (Throw Escape Training)

Cool!! Anything for akira? i use knee to interrupt rising kicks. Any cool information for akira?

6. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Cool!! Anything for akira? i use knee to interrupt rising kicks. Any cool information for akira?

Unfortunately Akira doesn't have anything cool ... no really useful moves that might lead to free combos or big damage. /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

7. danny13

danny13 Well-Known Member

Thanks alot CreeD. I guess i will work on my timing in using knee to interrupt rising kicks.

8. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

TTE - triple throw escape

That confirms it then! =)

ETE - escape throw-escape

You mean dodge-throw escape, right?

TEG - throw-escape guard
    ETEG - escape throw-escape guard

For those of you that don't know, throw escape guard is tapping P+G together then lifting your finger off P while continuing to hold G. A very valuable technique after having an attack that is only counterable by throws blocked.

9. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Go Moby! Yay!

10. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

ETE - escape throw-escape

You mean dodge-throw escape, right?

Yep, but that's what they call it in the training and on Japanese magazines -- escape throw-escape..

11. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Isn't the training mode just absolutely incredible?! I have to admit that I am very pleasantly surprised to see how in depth they have gone in the Trial mode (haven't tried Command yet)...it took me nearly 2 hours to go through the whole thing with Kage. Do different characters have different training programs?

12. DMan

DMan Well-Known Member

Isn't the training mode just absolutely incredible?! I have to admit that I am very pleasantly surprised to see how in depth they have gone in the Trial mode (haven't tried Command yet)...it took me nearly 2 hours to go through the whole thing with Kage. Do different characters have different training programs?

Argh!!!! stop it your making me jealous! I have some friends who got the import bootleg, but I wont get to play VF4 at home untill next month's US release! I apologize if this has already been discussed but whats the difference between Trial and Command modes?

-DMan-

13. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

Command mode takes you through the full moves list for each character and tracks how fast you can get through them. I guess there might be something unlocked if you can get through the lists fast enough, but haven't done that yet.

Trials take you through the game engine and teach you how to effectively use dodges, how to effectively use low punch, timing for triple throw escapes, how to punish rising attacks (timing on back dashes and counter attacks as well as throwing blocked high rising attacks), I think it's lesson twelve that is probably going to be the most used by folks. It's the one that takes you through all of the throw counterable moves that each character has. It has you select a character to square off against and then the CPU will ONLY use attacks that are throw counterable when blocked. You have to throw them before the computer can throw out a low punch. It's surprising which ones pop up because there's actually quite a few out there that don't look like they should be, but they are (Shun's Chouwan and Lion's b,f+P+K,P,P for instance). Some of the later trials get a bit tougher (tedious), but they are useful. For instance I didn't know that if you stagger someone into a wall, when they bounce off, there is a guaranteed throw opportunity there, but the window is very small. The last few trials are actually character specific. Like Sarah's explains some basic use for the Flamingo stance. Overall it's very comprehensive and will probably help quite a few folks understand the engine much better.

14. alantan

new stuff I found for Vanessa,

DS
    f+p,k is a true combo on MC but you recover slower.

after neutral P reversal, p+g you can do f,f+k+g,f+p,g,d/f+k which does like 97 damage on Ver C. Pretty good for a reversal. Pity opponent have a chance to break the p+g. I have always been following up with b,f+p+k,p which is much lower damage.

15. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

after neutral P reversal, p+g you can do f,f+k+g,f+p,g,d/f+k which does like 97 damage on Ver C. Pretty good for a reversal. Pity opponent have a chance to break the p+g. I have always been following up with b,f+p+k,p which is much lower damage.

Firstly, isn't the opponent back-turned after this particular auto-hold-reversal? Because AFAIK the f,f+K+G - f+P+G hit throw only works from the front? Unless they somehow 'magically' turn around upon the hit, or it does in fact work from behind?

And you said it's a pity the opponent can break the throw? Are you sure about that? Hit-throws are unescapable last time I checked.

16. LittleWild

LittleWild Well-Known Member

The netural P reversal's P+G can be escaped. Tried and proven. It is not really a catch throw.

And I think you misinterprete a little, it is not f,f+K+G - f+P+G
    It is f,f+K+G - f+P - G.

alan: potential mind game after the netural P reversal. Go for KKK now since every one will break P+G in order to escape the 97pt damage thing. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

17. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

Ah, yep, I totally misread it. Wow, nice reward for the reversal followup (if it connects).

18. alantan

err.. not really, it is a typo. it is just the f,f+k+g hit throw. After the neutral reversal P+G, the opponent will not end up back facing, they will turn around after it. This is how your b,f+p+k will connect, always from the front.

19. NinjaFish

NinjaFish New Member

Re: PS2 VF4 stuff (vanessa) - TE training

i took special note of your TE training woes, as i was just doing that yesterday and it was a real bitch, mostly because of the "guaranteed throw move" (AM2's term, not that i know the common one) that they choose for you: f,f+P,P. however, i did finish it, and here's what i found.

i had been doing the training using only the first hit of f,f+P, as jeffry would always guard the first hit and eat the second when he tried to throw. on top of that, the game only seems to recognize one TE after the first hit, no matter how good you are. either that or the timing is really tricky. anyhow, if you back out and make sure only the second hit of f,f+P,P is guarded, this is very doable. i was in fact able to buffer all three throw escapes after the second hit (the training mode shows you the TE escape commands that it recognized).

anyhow, maybe that'll help someone.

- nf

20. Bronzefist

Bronzefist Member

Re: PS2 VF4 stuff (vanessa) - TE training

Regarding the trial's throw escapes:

You dont have to use f,f+P,P. You can use any of her moves that have slow enough recovery. I "cheated" to get passed this mode by just using two escape inputs: P+G, d+P+G. I used those two inputs for every Jeffery throw and eventually I passed the challenge. I'm lame, I know /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Some other things:

I've been looking at this and the other Vanessa threads and I dont remember anyone mentioning that her sabaki elbow (in DS d+P and in MT d_db+P) can be followed by a quick low throw.

Now my question is, can the opponent low jab you before you grab them? I'm new to the VF system and I've been noticing that all strikes beat throws. I'm wondering if that will be the case here; if the opponent has enough time to d+P, that is.

Peace,
    Bronze